DSL20-HD ultragain and switching problems

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MitchP, Apr 1, 2020.

1. MitchP

MitchP New Member

Hello all: Been a member for a while, but only spectating; never owning a real all-tube Marshall. Had several AVT-50's (tube preamp), but just purchased a 10/20w DSL 20 head last year.

Two unusual characteristics: when using the foot switch, no audible noise from "gain" to "ultra gain", however, when going back to gain there is an audible pause and then click. In addition, my clean EQ settings shift to mid/dark/muddy on ultra gain. Any suggestions such as a checkup at a reputable amp shop? I find it hard to believe my pre-amp tubes have gone bad so soon. Also, I run a Keely comp/sustainer along with my other time-based effects through the amps effects loop. Could this be the problem or perhaps yank everything out of the effects loop and run it between guitar and amp front end with a Spark line boost?

I know I may get negative feedback, but my Peavey 40w ValveKing was my best amp ever but 3 back surgeries put an end to a 50lb haul.

Thanks all. If I could get EQ consistent across both channels, I'd be happy. I play everything from Airplane to Deep Purple, Pink Floyd to Queensryche, so I need flexibility and a channel switch pedal that worked would be a good start!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Depending on your ears (not to mention the bit between them ) ultra can sound muddy - esp with fierce humbuckers. Then again other people say ultra sounds thin and fizzy. End of the day it's a shared eq design. Get the sound you use most right and either live with the rest or use pedals to bridge the gap. Or save up for a JVM which has separate eq.
    To my ears (I have the 40 which is more complex still with 2 modes per channel) when you get the vol to a reasonable gig level it sounds pretty good on clean wherever the eq is but then I don't use clean all that much. Well I do but as a pedal platform because I find ultra a bit muddy....

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

From what I understand there is factory updates for this amp.
    You should contact the Marshall service center close to your location.
    If there is any improvement, you should get it done.

4. MitchP

MitchP New Member

:agreed:Good info, thanks. Yes, cost was a factor and I didn't like the shared EQ but I didn't think it would be this noticeable. I have a Peavey 20w Valveking head that sort-of died after 1 year.
    I know this isn't a Peavey forum, but with both power tube indicators green, the sound just stopped one day. Got discontinued for $350 as they were moving to the 6505 platform. Shared EQ, but no problems there. I pulled the chassis from the cabinet and checked the valve covers. Plugged in the cab and guitar and it worked like a charm. Put it back together, same problem. Got to get it checked out.

Anyway I play a Schecter with active pup in the bridge and Sustainiac neck. I'm wondering if the switch clicking sound is associated with the effects loop. The EQ gets issue gets quieter with the effect switch off. Going to put all time based effects in the main loop from guitar to amp and see if that helps. I hate to ship the Marshall back until I get the Peavey fixed... :mad:

Attached Files:

5. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

Take the compressor out of the loop, this should be on the input side of the amp.
    Put delays chorus etc in loop and last in loop stick the spark boost ( set to around 9 o clock ) Try that and see if that improves things

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Not much you can do with the switching circuit . A lot of switching circuits make noice it is how tubes work . And high gain doesn’t help

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Mitch P we have the same first initials welcome to the forum, I say this because you have not posted much since you have joined, Ampmad’s advice is spot on, many of the members here have had some quirks with this particular amp, but I do know that they sound great when healthy.
    Good luck on getting it straightened out.
    Cheers
    Mitch

8. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

Mine is quiet when switching channels and very fast
    In fact my previous DSL100HR was slower changing channel !!

9. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Martin, put the compressor between the guitar and front of the amp. Then I'd pull everything out of the effects loop and put a jumper there and test again. The biggest complaint I've read about the DSL series of amps (post the JCM 2000) is it's hard to EQ, but the newest version made improvements to the EQ to help this.
    It might also help if you have a known good 12AX7 tube to swap in, it's not unheard of for a tube to go bad very quickly, they're not made like they used to be. Good luck, hope you can get it sorted out.

Martin Adams likes this.