Dsl1hr Sounds Terrible

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dai B, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:53 AM.

1. Dai B

Dai B New Member

Hi,

I’ve got the DSL1hr with MX112 cabinet and to my ears it sounds pretty terrible on the green channel - not too bad on the red channel. It sounds thin and very ‘trebly’ which gets worse if I put an overdrive in front of it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, and if so, what have you done to resolve it? Will changing the speaker (currently Celestion 70/80) make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The more you turn the volume down, the thinner it will sound.
    Marshall amps sound better when the volume is raised way up high.
    The speaker is not really the cause of this.

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Has the sound changed, did it sound better when you first got it?

4. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

I have the DSL1HR as well as the 50th Anniversary DSL1.

I know what you mean about the Classic Gain Channel on the DSL1HR. It's not as fat sounding as the 50th. Pretty big difference and I prefer the 50th's Classic Channel tone. Has way more headroom also where as the DSL1HR breaks up much quicker on that channel. A good tone can be had on the Classic side on the new DSL but I have all the 50ths so another model does that sound better. As far as the Ultra Gain Channel the DSL1HR is the winner there for me between the 2. Great drive sound.

For the DSL1HR, I find that by the time you get the Classic Channel dialed in you're pretty much stuck there and defeats it's channel switching feature. In fairness I find this true in a lot of channel switchers. I have used mine for small gigs miked up and so I use both heads. DSL1HR for distortion, 50th DSL1 for clean.

As far as the cabinet you are using, I don't mean any disrespect but those are cheap cabinets. I'm also not a fan at all of that speaker either. I run mine through all birch 1x12's for each head with Celestion Vintage 30s. Tone is the sum of all parts. Cable and everything.

Mitchell Pearrow and JAC like this.
  5. Dai B

Dai B New Member

Thanks for the responses. It’s always sounded like that to me, and given that I only play at home with relatively low volume, maybe that’s exacerbating it. Whilst I have thought about ditching it for one of the new Blackstar HT1 heads, perhaps the first port of call is to change the speaker in the cabinet.

Biff Maloy and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

The DSL1HR sounds this way and you are not the only one who dislikes the trebley clean channel:

The new 1, 5 and 20W Blackstar HT MKII range is awesome!
    I've already posted a thread here: http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/new-2019-blackstar-ht-1r-ht-5r-ht-20r-mkii-amps.106228/

However, I would not buy the HT-1RH MKII over the DSL1HR, because it has no effects loop and no 3-band EQ.
    The new HT-5RH MKII has a 0,5W power reduction which the HT-1RH MKII does not have and which makes the 1W obsolete, unless you want a real small package in physical size.

To me the HT-5R MKII is currently the best small combo amp for home use aside some "boutique" choices.
    The JVM215C sounds a bit better though (even at lowest volumes), but is clearly bigger and more expensive.

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I have the same set up and I also found the green channel too trebley,.....with the stock Seventy/80speaker. I changed out that speaker with a G12M-65 Creamback and everything changed.

Both channels sound great now, but the biggest difference is in the green channel. The ear piercing treble was gone completely, the channel now has a great warm cleanish tone and wonderful breakup as the volume is turned up.

The volume levels are now much more equal too, when switching the channels, this was not the case before the speaker change.

I’m getting some great tones with this little amp now.

I also changed out the V1 position 12AX7 preamp tube to a 5751 to tame the gain a bit on the red channel. Works great! The channel is much more musical now with many levels of crunch tones. It’s like the 5751 tube expanded the dynamic range of the amp!

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow, CraigP and tce63 like this.
  8. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Thanks Man I always wondered about the DSL1H or C anniversary amps. They are the only one I did not get to try out. I have a JTM1H anniversary myself which rocks. I did get a DSL1HR also. The Ultra gain channel does sound cool on these.

tce63 and Biff Maloy like this.
  9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

My JTM1 and DSL1HR is actually my preferred setup for a dual 1 watt rig.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. Dai B

Dai B New Member

That’s great - thank you and some great ideas. Is it relatively easy to change speakers and tubes as I’ve never done it before.

11. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Doesn't the DSL1HR come with JJs stock?
    If so, then I wouldn't recommend to change the tubes, as almost every other brand will give you even more treble.

Swapping speakers is very easy as long as they aren't soldered. Normally you just need to unplugg the speaker cables from the speaker and put them on to the new speaker plus and minus poles.

Here's a video with the DSL1HR played through a 1x12 cab with a Celestion Greenback - sounds quite good!

If you like that "Greenback" kind of sound, then I would recommend the WGS Invader, which has more bottom end and rounded highs (so would fit nicely to that bright amp).

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Dai B

Dai B New Member

Brilliant- thank you for the replies. It’s really appreciated.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, it is,....anyone can do it!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

To me the Dsl1 just sounded better. Warm, clear, crisp Marshall cleans on the green channel,....and full throated Marshall crunch and saturation on the red channel.

The Blackstar sounded a bit dull to me, kind of a flat sterile tone with very little character.

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The thread title reminds me of another comparison, how much I prefer the sound of a 400 small block over a weed trimmer. I sometimes start my car, just to listen to the engine, I hate the sound of the weed trimmer. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 12:24 AM
    JBA likes this.
  16. JBA

JBA Member

Can anyone report back if a role back of the tone pot on the guitar sorts this out alright on this amp? I'm just thinking about the simplest solution for folks not wanting to speaker swap or roll tubes. I'll take a brighter amp vs darker amp any day cause the old guitar tone dial makes that bright amp king!

17. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

I definetly roll things back for the Classic Gain Channel. But I use my guitar's tone and volume controls on every amp.

18. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

It's like JBA mentioned above, it's going to be a combination of a few things in dialing in an amp anyway. Guitar through to speaker.

I don't know what your budget is but something vintage 30 voiced should be a nice upgrade regardless. I have the luxury of several cabinets and quite a few Celestions. It's an expensive speaker but a good option is a Celestion Heritage G12H55hz is a nice sounding single speaker in the Greenback category. Has great low end which never hurts a 1 watt.

The issue with the DSL1HR Classic Gain Channel is like a lot of Marshalls that are vintage voiced. It needs high master volume settings to give the player all the things that still makes that sound the shit for a lot of us. In your case you said you don't get to turn yours up much. That's first and foremost right there no offense. The good thing is the Ultra channel can be tamed and get close by keeping the preamp between 9 and 10 o'clock. Even equivalent master volume settings at .1 watt is very usable for low volume practice. Of course running master wide open at 1 watt is best but I have no issue with playing my setup like this when necessary. I also run the mids maxed and keep the bass control low. Not so compressed metal sounding this way.

As far as the DSL1HR, 50th DSL1 and even my DSL20HR I don't use them as channel switchers. Even my Mini Jubilee 2525H. I pick what I want from them and stay there. I try to find the balance so I can just about do everything from the guitar sans a pedal or 2 here or there. I may be in the minority but I prefer a second amp dedicated to either clean or dirty vs switching on the same amp. Yeah, you need more gear but it's a lot more satisfying and easier. I feel some give up on channel switchers too quick because they don't channel switch like advertised. Yeah, kind of misleading but in a lot of the comments the amp seems to sound great but yet they dump. Then you buy another and another chasing. Just keep and combine if your finances allow. In the end I think it's even cheaper.

Moony likes this.
  19. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

I'll also add talking about having to crank that classic channel, this is exactly why the Origin got pounded mercilessly in the beginning for being thin sounding. Folks were running the preamp way up but master on like 1. I have the 20H and yes that sound sucks. Haha. It's just the nature off it.

20. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

I run the clean channel with bass-1, mids-2, treble 1, volume around 3 o'clock.Light touch for clean up, dig in for crunch. Useless setting when switched to the "Red"channel. I use it as two different amps.

Biff Maloy and tce63 like this.