DSL15H Chip

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by chuckyz2, Nov 21, 2019.

1. chuckyz2

chuckyz2 New Member

I had an issue with losing output after 20 minutes. That would vary though but on average, 20 mins. Sometimes an hour. Reboot and rejack the chord and it was good to go. Sometimes just a reboot. Research seem to indicate the removable chip on the board. Black with 22 or so pins. Seemed it could only be had through a authorized Marshall repair shop. Is this still the case or has anyone found an easier way to get a better or newer version of said chip.

2. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

If you managed to obtain one how would you go about replacing it?

3. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Member

Its not just the chip, it's the proprietary code on the chip. Have your amp tech contact Marshall in the UK. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the IC is a known issue. People have had Marshall send them a new one.

MarshallDog likes this.
  4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If I knew the chip type I could tell you if it's a type that could be read out and cloned to another blank chip of the same type by someone who has the appropriate equipment. Marshall uses some Atmel chips that are very inexpensive and easy to clone if you have the programming fixture, which actually doesn't cost much.

However, if the problem with this amp is in the programming in the chip, cloning it will result in a chip with the same problem.

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, the chip is nothing special its the programming which Marshall will NOT let out not to mention whatever it might take to program it. This is a bitch of an issue with these DSL amps and if you are unlucky enough to have one with an issue, I feel for you. I lived it fir about 2 years and many many trips to the Tech before he was able to figure it out. Hes one of the best in the world so I was very lucky. He actually ordered two of these chips pre-programed from Marshall when he discovered what was the issue with mine. Take it to a Marshall certified Tech and let them deal wit it, its the only way!

Peter McAteer likes this.
  6. MarshallDog

That part is easy, it sits in a chip socket, take it out and pop the other one it. Getting the pre-programed chip is the hard part. My Tech had to wait 8 weeks.

7. Matthews Guitars

If the chip is a type where the program can be read out, then it can be copied to a blank one. That's why I'm asking for the chip ID number, marked on the top of the chip itself. If there's a label stuck to it, that'd have to be peeled up to get the chip part number.

With that number I can look it up and tell you if I can get the chip copied over to a blank one. Or if it's even possible.

Some programmable chips can be read. Others can't.

8. MarshallDog

I posted pics of the chip I believe in one of my threads...cant remember the title.

9. MarshallDog

10. Matthews Guitars

I can't believe someone clipped the legs off that chip. Pro tip: If you are so unsure of your soldering skills that you'd rather clip the legs off a chip and remove them individually rather than just desolder the whole chip like any normally competent technician, you're not ready to be working on a customer's equipment.

The chip can have a functional problem and still be readable. But this requires that the legs still be attached to the chip!

11. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Member

AT2313. And no, it wasn't me who clipped the legs...

12. Matthews Guitars

That's the same chip found in the DSL40 and the DSL100. Programming MIGHT be the same, or different. Depends on if the switching options are different between those models. The 40 and 100 share the same switching system so presumably they share the same program.

13. chuckyz2

chuckyz2 New Member

it just plugs in. Very easy. Has about 22 legs on chip. The female socket is on the board.

14. Ken Underwood

And what kit do you use to replace it??

15. chuckyz2

chuckyz2 New Member

I contacted Marshall and got a list of all the local Authorized Marshall Techs in my area. I just bought a new amp to hold me over until this gets sorted. Then I will have spare. I bought a newer version. Hopefully it wont have the same issue. If it is not something that Marshall has addressed and permanently fixed I will blackball the shit out of them and never purchase from them again. If it is a known issue there should be quick easy way to access the part that Marshall made available for customer convenience. I'm going to contact them again.

16. Ken Underwood

Can you try and answer my last question please ChuckyZ2

17. Matthews Guitars

The control chip for the DSL40 and DSL100 has the part number of M-ICXX-22078.

The M-ICXX-22078 is a special order item that costs $18.90 and has an approximate lead time of 4-6 weeks if the part is in stock with the supplier. We require a %50 non-refundable deposit to place special orders, so please keep that in mind. You can place that order by contacting us direct at 480-820-5411.
    It can be ordered from tubesandmore.com

It may be that the DSL15 uses the same chip, if the switching functions are the same. It'll be a 20 pin DIP package socketed IC. On the 40 and 100 it is located under the 3 inch square daughter board that is attached to the main board.

18. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Member

Its the AT2313 chip on the DSL15 and DSL40. The programming may be different tho.

19. Matthews Guitars

I figured the chip will be the same. If the switchable functions on the 15 are the same as on the 40 and 100, then the programming SHOULD be the same.

20. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Member

Maybe. The 40 and 100 have four channels ( 2 green, 2 red) and reverb.... The 15 has 2 channels, and only the combo has reverb. Only Marshall knows.