DSL100HR vs SC20H

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DIMILLIONE, Jul 10, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think you’re too hung up on,.....“does this one sound better than that one”,......”is this one better than that one”

Most Marshall sound great, but you know what?,......they don’t all sound the same. They have their tonal characteristics going on. That’s not to say one sounds better than the other. It’s an individual choice.

Good tone or good sound is subjective. Only you can say if an amp sounds good to you, someone might tell you “this amp sounds good” but it’s up to you to decide if it sounds good to you!

As far as which is better older Dsls or new ones? There are soooo many variablies that it difficult to say. I’ll say this,... some might prefer an older Dsl because it’s made in England, I get that.

I’m that way in many regards, all things being equal except where it was manufactured, I’d choose the one made in England. But man this new line of Dsls are great amps, and they sound it.

Marshall has its own factory in Vietnam and they have complete control over all aspects of manufacturing, including, and especially, quality. The Dsl amps I’ve see that were made in Vietnam are quality built amps, that look good, sound good, built good, and are a great value when considering price.

If I were you,....I’d buy a new Dsl40cr. It checks all your boxes, and you’ll be able to go from dirty to glean on the fly with the foot switch.

I know you don’t want a combo, ok fine. Then I would buy a Dsl100hr!

2. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

Thank you all for that helpful information, it helped me a lot, everything suddenly clear in my head, mainly after I tried the amps themselves. Actually it was a DSL40CR that's pretty much a small DSL100HR and a Mini Jubilee Head that is a JCM800 with two channels and a bit more gain. SC20 haven't arrived yet to the store but I think the Jubilee pretty much gave me a taste of that classic sound that the JCM800 has, I'm still curious to try it out when it does arrive. So it was the DSL40CR vs Mini Jubilee Head ( plugged in a 1960 cab with V30's ), I have to admit that Jubilee Head is a piece of an art, cosmetically. I had them side by side and after pretty much 10 minutes of switching between them and trying different settings it was just me and DSL, it just took me places, and than I realized that modern sound is what I'm looking for and although I really loved that full and huge classic sound, the modern just spoke my language. That moment I realized that I did a huge mistake a bit more than three years ago when I bought my first tube amp, the JVM215, I bought it cause it was made in England and was the newest with bunch of sounds in it, but what I didn't have is an experience with a real tube amp, and I can tell you clearly that all those years with my JVM I felt that something is missing in the sound, till my eyes and ears opened up and I realized that my JVM sounds a lot more Solid State than an tube amp and today I proved to myself that it really is feels and sounds like Solid State compare to the DSL/Studio Series. DSL is a modern amp with that amazing Marshall RAWR that JVM missing and it all cause it was an attempt to create something new that sounds different than that pure Marshall sound and the only thing I can say is.. thanks Victoria but no thanks.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I dunno, I had a JVM410 for a while and I got some great tones out of it. ‘Solid state sounding’ it was not.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

Maybe it's that speaker I have in G12B-150 that cause the amp sound so thin and lifeless, the cleans are really great still doesn't fill all that natural and responsive like on DSL and JCM models. The distortion channels are full of gain but still I can't use them without an OD pedal cause it lacks that mean, tight and punchy sound, and of course the the tone is so smooth compare to the DSL that provide you with that sharp and more Marshelly RAWR wide open distortion. It doesn't sound 100% Solid State but it pretty close, especially when you compare it to more classic series. And I won't even want to start talking about how much hiss and squealing it has even the noise gate barely can handle it cause it still find its way, the DSL was so quiet compare to my JVM. Why did you sell it anyway?

P.S. I wasn't enjoying playing lately on my JVM that's why I spent a lot to replace tubes and even bought a new speaker to make it sounds like a cheaper DSL ( Well than I barely knew about DSL series or amps overall ) and of course it never did cause it's a different amp and I hear a lot of people really like it but it just doesn't sound like a real Marshall to me but something new and different and I have no problem with that, I just wish I knew it all before blindly going for the JVM.

5. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

You totally right, and today after demoing them I finally know what I want, its going to be the DSL100HR although I'm considering the old version of it the JCM2000 DSL 50 or 100 but not sure what's going to be better.
    DSLHR more useful features, MV and 50/100W switch but looks like it has a bit cheaper build compare to the UK old version JCM2000 that maybe has a better design too

MarshallGuySC likes this.
  6. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

I'm really interested to know how important the master volume compere to only volume channels? On my JVM I have the master volume on default so I had never experience with one without and you say it's a godsend
    It's really important to me to have a good tone at bedroom levels and I guess it will be harder with the JCM2000 50 or 100 that doesn't have the master volume am I right?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    scozz likes this.
  7. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Remember, my point of view is one of a gigging player. Once you have a good balance of channels (clean vs gain), it's WAY easier to adjust the overall volume than having to bump up one volume, then try to adjust the other one to get them balanced again, especially on the fly between chords. Like, your volume was nice at soundcheck, then come show your drummer starts hitting harder and your singer to actually sing like he means it. Happened to me a million times.
    In that regard, having an overall master volume is a quality of life improvement.
    And a switchable 2nd master volume means not needing to have a boost in the loop for solo volume. Again, quality of life improvement, and potentially a power supply output (and/or switcher loop) freed up for another pedal ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, you should definitely get an amp with a MV imo, no doubt about it. An at home player absolutely should have an amp with a MV!

All this time we’ve been talking about the Dsl 100 and the Jcm800 Studio,.....here’s a question for you,.....

Have you considered the Dsl20hr? It’s got everything you need,....two channels, great clean channel, decent gain channel, 20/10 watts, it’s a head, etc.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSL20HR--marshall-dsl20hr-20-watt-tube-head

You should take a look at it,...uh,....wait,....I’ve got a great idea,........:hmm:

Get the Dsl20hr for the great cleans and also get the Jcm800 Studio for the overdriven tones, unmatched overdriven tone aI might add!!
    :D
    You get the best of both worlds, I’m glad I thought of it,.....you can thank me later! :h5:

When are you going to order them? :agreed:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC20H--marshall-sc20h-studio-classic-20-5-watt-tube-head

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Get the new. I have the old too. I use the new.

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Okay, I don’t know anyone that thinks this! I mean the Jubilee is a fine amp, but a Jcm800 it is not!

That also goes for the Jcm800 Studio. If they sounded the same they both wouldn’t be in the Marshall Studio Series of amps. I don’t think they’re even close to sounding alike, but that’s my ears!

I recommend you wait till this store of yours gets the Jcm800 Studio in for you to try before you buy anything!

11. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

Understood, thanks for the explanation, I guess I underestimated the power of the master volume. I like that in the HR version vs the H they balanced the EQ so it helps a lot too

Couldn't ask for more, got an answer for gigging and home purposes, thanks! Defensively will go with the master volume.
    Actually I thought about getting those two 20W heads and have the best of both worlds like you said, but when I heard the 20W vs 40W I understood how much bass, headroom and that huge sound overall that extra watts adds. Same goes with the Studio version and the real JCM800, the Studio version is amazing and sounds awesome but I like that huge sound that the 100W produce it just destroys. Nevertheless I'm not rushing into it and not going to buy till the beginning of the next month so I can change my minds, Especially that the SC20 is arriving at the end of this month!

Really you got the JCM2000? And you prefer this one? I'm almost sure I'll get it eventually with 2x12 filled with V30 I guees ( 4x12 would be too much, don't thing there is a big volume difference but size )

I didn't mean to say it's the same I meant that they both got that full and mid focused vintage sounds vs the modern which is DSL, actually I really missed the headroom and the bass that DSL 40W had vs the Jubilee 20W

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

What cab, speakers and guitar are you using?

13. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

JVM215 50W Combo with G12B-150 speaker

Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (2012), Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry (2016), Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White 2016, Ibanez RG470 Cosmic Blue (2004)

14. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

yes. the new is fine. I'd feel quite alright not having the older model. I find some great tone/feel with the new.

WellBurnTheSky and scozz like this.
  15. tallcoolone

Marshalls all deserve at least a closed back 2x12, if not a 4x12. Marshall combo amps, like Fender amp heads, just seem wrong to me lol.

16. DIMILLIONE

DIMILLIONE Member

I guess the new one got a lot more pros against cons, today I rediscovered my JVM by cranking the master volume and lower the volume, sounded way better than before but yet not like the DSL40CR that I've tried in the store, that thing just took me to a journey to the past and future of what is good and holy about Rock 'N Roll.

I guess you right, that's why I'm not even consider a Marshall combo anymore. I'm leaning towards the 2x12, mainly cause of the size and loudness

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

You don’t like something like this for home/recording use @tallcoolone?,.....:D

[​IMG]

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  18. tallcoolone

Oh yeah—I have the same setup pretty much with a 1x12 Theile cab. TBH, I don’t do much home recording but when I do I usually use a modeler like the Helix. It’s just more consistent at all volumes. And easier to integrate with a DAW