DSL100HR - 6 days in, issue!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Boxtrot56, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Hi to all
    Apologies if there is an existing thread, but I couldn't find one
    New to the forums, and more than a little upset at my 6 day new DSL100HR.
    No issues until yesterday- a home player, no great amp know-how, yet carefully followed all of the dos and donts with things.....Turned on the head, as normal, in stand by mode, waited a few moments before selecting low power on the black rocker switch.....Nothing- zero sounds, checked leads etc....selected 100w on rocker and no problems, business as usual. Tried a few times during the day, and again this morning.
    All valves appear to be working visually, but I hasten to add that I am more than unfamiliar for the most part with my 1st tube amp head.
    Of course, it will be under warranty, although I am not one bit happy at such an issue a week into owning it.
    I haven't done anything that might compromise the unit, living in an apartment and volume kept very low,
    Hoping I might ask for some far more knowledgeable than I, as to what might be going on here.
    Of interest (to me, at least!!) is that looking down at the tubes, towards the back a row of taller tubes x4, in front of those, 3 much shorter ones and one looking very unlike the 3, having what looks like a metal collar around it...as best as I can describe it.
    As said, they all do seem to be working, in so far as glowing goes at least.
    Living in Cairns, I suspect I may need to send the unit away....wanted to run things past you guys first to hopefully get some indicators of what might be going on. It does seem odd that there should be a significant partial failure of this nature with absolutely minimal and mild use over 4 days.
    Any ideas and help very gratefully welcomed and, so sorry that my very first post is of a problematic nature.
    Best Regards, and thanks
    Lindsay.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

Send / take it back if it has issues. Could be a tube issue, could be a wiring fault, could have been knocked in transit (while on its way to wherever you bought it). Seems odd that half power doesn’t work, if it were me I’d have it exchanged rather than mess around.

Just because a tube lights up doesn’t mean it’s functioning properly, just FYI. Also, the sleeve you see around one of the preamp (small) tubes is there to shield against noise from the transformer, totally normal. It can be removed to check / replace the tube. Older Marshall’s used those sleeves on all preamp tubes, newer models have them on the tube closest to the transformer.

3. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

+1 on this suggestion

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  4. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Thanks guys....it helps a lot to have that advice. I have this morning contacted the outlet I bought it from, who will be contacting the Marshall agent 're where to send it to for repair.
    I did mention my dissatisfaction and asked about direct replacement- was told if it had been dead out of the box, yes, but as I have had (a huge!!) 4 days of normal use, assessment and repair likey.
    I'm sure as to my rights in that, but will rry to look into it...replacement would be my preferred step forward, for sure.
    Thx for the reassurance on that shield collar, on the closest small tube to the transformer - makes sense now!!! Also the lit up tubes...even when the lights are On, sometimes no one is home!!
    I am learning, cheers guys!!

5. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. And that sounds like a problem that has to do with switching, follow the advice above brother and send it back:(

7. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

It is about time you woke up and started posting today LOL !!!!!!!

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

:welcome: to the Marshall Forum @Boxtrot56,....The greatest rock & roll amp ever created!

Did you buy the amp from a gear dealer? If so they should have a return policy, you should be able to exchange it if that’s what you want.

Or just return it, get a refund and purchase from another dealer,....like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. Sweetwater has great customer service,

I’ve heard about some guys returning an amp 4 or 5 times because of problems. They never tell their customers they need to have the amp or guitar repaired because it was working when you received it!

9. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

Yeah not exchanging and insisting on a repair is BS. If it was me I’d demand a refund and buy elsewhere, as suggested. Who knows what else could be wrong in there.

I bought a JCM900 a few months back on Reverb from a store. Was in mint condition in the ad. Received it and the chassis was bent and the headshell cracked, though the packaging it came in looked mint. The store insisted it’d be fine and would give a partial refund (LOL!) but upon firing it up, nothing but noises, popping and hiss, and sounded very weak. Sent that shit back and got a full refund. If it’s been dropped or whatever, who knows what else could be wrong with it or how badly it’s actually affected.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Been a very long day brother
    My alarm clock goes off at 3:15 and I didn’t get home till 6:30 can’t be texting / posting while driving
    I do believe I put up a few this morning, prior to 6:00 am, lol

11. Mitchell Pearrow

I am working on the college in Northridge and can’t get with the swing of the forum at work right now :agreed: :cheers:

12. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Thanks for the advice folks....and the welcome which I appreciate :)
    I live in Australia, and in the tropical North to boot. Although I haven't heard yet from the Marshall agent- yes, I did buy the amp and cab new, from a well established quite large music store, in New South Wales. Where I live is a city but considered regional, due to distance. The amp and cab took 5 days by road freight, coming from close to Sydney up here, to Cairns.
    Sending it away, maybe even further to Melbourne, could mean it's away for several weeks.....you could say that I am far from happy!!!
    I entirely agree, the right thing to do is to get...no, Demand... an outright replacement. When the Marshall guy contacts me, I will be requesting same....I am assuming I am in the right to do that,...that is that the warranty will comply with replacement....but I am right now looking into that. Dealer suggests, as aforementioned, that because it wasn't dead on arrival, that a repair more likely. I also agree that repair is not acceptable, given a serious partial failure after just 4 days. Plus...Exactly the same as mentioned, yes, who knows what else might let go within the amp, once they fix the current issues.
    It took me quite some time to save for this Marshall dream, and I won't just roll over.
    The guy at the store, in all honesty, gave me a decent deal but is reluctant to enter into too much dialogue....I will def cut loose with the Marshall agent, once he calls or contacts me.
    Good, sound advice, one and all!! Happy to be part of the Marshall crew, thanks all :)

13. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Oddly enough Steve, although the 100w aspect of the amp is still working, with just the lower power 50w totally dead, there is also present that popping and fuzzing you mention, which was set not there at all for the 1st 4 days of use. I mentioned tbis too, when I called the seller this morning.
    I will, for sure, push hard for replacement, and happy that you're was sorted out ok on that front.

14. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Don't know how it works in Cairns (NZ?), but here in the UK we can send anything back for replacement or refund within 14 days. You don't want to have what could turn out to be a problematical amp, so I would insist on replacement.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and Boxtrot56 like this.
  15. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

upload_2019-6-12_23-56-52.png

Mitchell Pearrow and Boxtrot56 like this.
  16. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Georgiatec....yes, I would really expect here in Australia, there must be the same, or a very similar system in place. It's a sad state of affairs that we customers aren't always made aware of all options, and sometimes need to push harder before we get what is ours by default. In fact, I feel somewhat foolish, in not having checked all of this stuff before completing the purchase. I never imagined I'd need to, but was very wrong on that one!! :)

17. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

100 watts for a home player is overkill. Trade it in on a Studio Classic 20 watt jcm800. It might be more dependable and will be plenty of Marshall for the home.

18. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

For sure, the whole rig is excessive, but as the lifelong dream that it is, it's a keeper.
    It does behave remarkably well, the new dsl hr, esp when in.50w low power mode (sadly the very bit that's busted, for the moment). And, I know, yes, it likes...prefers... to growl at volume, but it looks awesome and, for the most part, is a dream finally realised, far more than it will ever be a practical purchase.
    I should get a car window sticker stating "My other amp is a Katana 100w head with 212 Katana Cabinet"...since it actually is :)
    True Story.

19. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Active Member

This times a bazillion. It looks cute, it looks innocent, but she is one bad bitch. I can barely get her over 3 on volume in full power mode. I had a DSL40C right before the transition Marshall made to the DSL40CR and went through 2 and enough was enough. Had the JCM800 Studio combo for about 4 months now and it's been nothing but absolute pleasure to play through with no issues at all. No issues, no mods, nothing but focusing on music making.

I will concede that having a Marshall half stack is super cool and sexy looking, but I wanted to back up the Studio Classic suggestion. Not trying to sway, but man that is an amp for life.

Best of luck with your DSL100HR, and if you decide to stay with it hopefully it doesn't take 4 or 5 more attempts to get a good one.

And welcome!

20. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Member

Oh, Chris & Ian....
    I would relish a jcm800, and with massive sacrificial savings, eating pot noodles Akimbo, making my Wife work 6 jobs instead of the paltry 2 that she works....yes, I'll have that JCM800 which will sound, look and BE truly awesome.
    But, I'm only being Serious.
    I would, given the chance, fill my very small apartment lounge, fashioning it with Marshall tube heads of all and every kind - and never for one moment truly need half of them.
    You have no argument from.me, boys....I'd love one, in a heartbeat.
    The DSL100 HR?? Well, as you'll know, I am sure is far and away at the cheaper end of things from Marshall.
    In fact, it was such a bargain, for what it was capable of, that I pulled the trigger on one.
    The choice, almost entirely, was a financially constraned one...at $990AU, I pulled all the stops out to jump on one, then went totally batshit, and ordered the 1960AV 412 cab - the purchase(s) messed up our tight budget, to put things mildly but , and here's the kicker, my wonderful wife, rather than being angry, was so happy that it looked so gorgeous!!
    That's my story guys, all of it true.
    It started out "I should get one of those when I can", then a day later, waiting on my order to arrive, plus the 412 .cab.
    Talk about spontaneity!!!
    The 800, well, give me a while :)

Additional:
    Having since searched around, the SC20H JCM800, on the same online store mine was bought from, listed as backorder at $1300AU.
    That seems to be well priced, I have to say, at $300AU more than the DSL100 HR.
    In the back of my mind, I was definitely looking for a full sized head unit, to sit well with the 412 Cab width. Again, I stress that this, my first ever Marshall purchase, was much less about practicality, and more about aesthetics and the dream realised of finally getting a Marshall rig.
    If there is a next purchase, I will give a lot more due consideration and, do a lot more homework....naturally, I will be asking plenty from you good folks in these forums too!!!
    With the fading of the Noobness, will come Wisdom! :D
    One can but hope.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019