DSL100H, Origin... what Marshall?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by TheOgre, Jan 18, 2020.

1. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Thanks BP!! Just tested it in the seller's home, without to much volume... but could feel easily its growling!!

Tomorrow will buy a step-up transformer (the amp is rated at 375W, and I have a 500VA one to use with the Laney) of, don't know exactly, but maybe 750VA, to 'let it breathe'... then, this Saturday will play it at home with a mild volume, with my monster board, to see if I can reduce it in the near future, even that just a bit!!

I'm stunned here with my first head, my first Marshall!! Hope it was a sure shot!!
    :hbang:

2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Congrats, man!
    I think you'll be pleased.
    Looking forward to your review.

Mitchell Pearrow and TheOgre like this.
  3. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

Hi Ogre !! Welcome to the MAF !!

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new amp brother.
    I believe you have scored a great amp, and the kick ass tones you find in it are, going to keep you playing it.
    Cheers Mitch

TheOgre likes this.
  5. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

Congrats on your first Marshall ! Welcome to the rabbithole ;-)

6. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Thank you guys!!

Well ... after a full day at work, then gym, then having dinner with my wife, l finally have time to get to know and get used to this fella!

I'm still in the initial phase of adjusting the control knobs to know all the possibilities of each one! I'm saturating the amplifier's front end with my 'little board', testing the effects loop, testing the pentode / triode switch ... a lot to do until I can say that I understand this amp well! But it's very likely that I'll have space to reduce my board now!

And as I thought before, 100W is an almost infinite output, even using the triode mode on the switch! But the tones, even with lower gains, are very concise! However, I'm planning to make a passive master volume to put at the loop to help tame some output, allowing me to increase the preamplifier signal more fiercefully, even though this will reduce any of the breakup of the power tubes or the interaction between the amplifier and the speakers! Just take a look at the schematic to see where the channel's volumes are in the electrical diagram, to see if this external control would help or be completely useless.

FB_IMG_1579921570015.jpg

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Congrats @TheOgre,....sweet amp, and in great shape too!

(But I must say,...your 100 watt Marshall head is just screaming to have a 4-12 Marshall cabinet to sit atop!). :naughty:

8. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Thanks mate! Yeah, it's like new (just a small cat scratch at the cabinet grill, to say a unique detail)... even the valves are the original ones... I'm not in hurry for that, but am already reading about best valves replacement for the DSL... have four ECC83 from JJ here, but just a marched EL34 JJ pair... had seen some guys telling they're using other than the ECC83 at the preamp, like the ECC82 and 5751, to control a bit more the gain stages! Don't know yet... at bedroom playing, low volume, triode mode, I'm digging even the (not so well speaken of) Red Channel Lead 02! Think I'll see more clearly when I have the oportunity to open up the volume of the beast! The external master at loop would be a chance to try that, if it works as I'm expecting!

And about the 4x12, I can tell you that... my wife would easily scream at me louder and longer than any Marshall plugged on a half or even a full stack! Still can't believe she accepted so well this 'half half stack' at home!
    :run::lol:

9. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Hey guys, just a question, for a n00b on the DSL... I'm used with my Laney TI-15, which has a pair of EL84 at its poweramp section, but I never felt that amp gets too hot, just a warmth (besides the area near the valves, of course). However, playing at home with the DSL, I felt it gets way hotter... OK, I know the EL34s are in another level of power dissipation, its a quad, not a pair, but I feel even the front panel a bit warm... is it normal? I'm playing at bedroom level, REAL bedroom level (volume of both channels between 0 and 1)! I think it's normal, but my subconcious me keep mocking me about it in the past few days since I got this amp! Other than that, I am fully satisfied with what I have achieved with DSL so far, and I just haven't recorded anything yet, because I'm playing at really low volume, so as not to disturb the neighborhood, much less the wife.

Well... just bought a 1590A hammond enclosure, an CTS 100kA, a pair of Switchcraft jacks, e voilĂ ... will create my own "external Master Volume" as soon as they get to me! This, paired with a good attenuator, and I think a could reach the "tone's heaven" at low volumes at home for practice and recording with the amp!

Cheers!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

Congrats on the DSL 100. I use one with just 1 delay pedal. And it does all my 80s rock quite decent. Time to go play some UFO.

11. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i spy a Washburn. The DSL is a great choice...enjoy

12. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Yeah! Nick Catanese sig Washburn (WI66ANC), loaded with the ZW duo, 81/85! I'm willing to find another of these WI (64 or 66) Washburns... besides being heavy as a rock, they sound amazing and has the best playability I've ever found in a guitar!

I'm liking the DSL a lot... just want to know if the heat is normal (what I believe)...

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I have never noticed any excessive heat from the amp but of course it is the 40 not the 100.
    More knowledgeable poster comments to follow about your concern.
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow, TheOgre and scozz like this.
  14. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

They do heat up but nothing super hot unless something could be wrong. I saved a Washburn last month showed up all banged up with a dent in neck,chip on front & cracked headstock. The 1986 G2V is a fantastic guitar

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Not excessive heat in the front pannel, it just gets a bit hot (understandable, as the heat from the tubes could easily warm up the metal of the chassis, which would spread to all surface, just like a pan!)! However, the heat is felt more intensely at the top of the head, near the grills that sit just above the EL34s (again, understandable). It's possible to let the hand at that spot, but it's hot (an acceptable hot), not just warm!

I'll have a gig at Saturday... after that, will try to borrow a multimeter from someone, as mine gone for a while now! The previous owner did'nt felt the necessity to make BIAS adjustments, and, at least for its sounds, me neither. I believe a hot biased valve would heat more than a optimal biased valve... suddenly, it could be the case! Difficult to say without having parameters for comparison with a similar one, preferably 'in loco'!

I'm not THAT worried, but like to know what is (an could be) happening inside... it faced two years of home usage with the previous owner, with the valves biased by Marshall factory, still has the original valves, that aren't crackling or anything like that... maybe, I'm just being too protective.
    :run::rofl:

16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry !!
    BP

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Just a lil' update!

I'm totally in love with my DSL, but can't say I was 100% satisfied ('til now)... I was playing with the volume at 0.5 (yes, between 0 and 1), in triode mode, and with my Boss EQ in the loop giving an extra cut to the volume (if necessary), as this amp plays too loudly (100W)! ! But, with this volume, I feel the Green channel (Crunch) a little hard and with low distortion (it doesn't resemble anything a JCM800, as they say) and the Red channel (OD1) only slightly distorted (even with the gain knob around 70%), most likely because the preamp must not be breathing in these conditions!

As I eventualy play with the bands, but most of the time I'm playing at home, in a no isolated enviroment, it's difficult to make the DSL to "breath". However, I decided to put my efforts to make it much more controlable without any significative alteration. So... today arrived some components I bought last week to build an small external control to help me tame the madness of the monster!
    :lol:

A Hammond 1590A, a CTS 100kA pot, a knob, two Switchcraft mono jacks, a bit of cables and... it's alive!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife get a bit mad yesterday at night, because of "the noise" I was doing - OK, it was around 22h30, but damnit... tonight, the things changed? It seems so! As I said, I'm using a Boss EQ at the loop to choke the volume a bit, using a slight W pattern at it, but the sound was still a bit 'bleh' (missing something). Then, I put the 'external master' at the loop, after the Eventides but before Boss EQ and Ohmless Booster. And what a difference! I'm being able to put the volume of both channels at 1 (yes, I know, it's still not so much and it seems like no difference to 0.5), which seems to let the preamp breath a little, making it more punchier and 'in-your-face'!

[​IMG]

Even so, I realized that a large part of the rotation is 'more of the same', since the biggest difference is noticed only in the first quarter of the knob rotation! And look, I bought a 100k log CTS (A), which would be ideal for use in audio (volume control). In the post-assembly measurement, I got readings between 0.0 to 83.2 ohms!

But now you can mix Boss EQ and this master, turn the volume of both channels to 1 (or even a little bit more) and get a more defined and heavy sound (at home ... live, I believe the volume could go up much more). To further improve the use at home, I think that the only way is to buy a decent attenuator, you can mix it with these other solutions, and let the amplifier breathe without making your ears melt!

Still learning how to use properly this amplifier, but I definitely managed to take a sure shot with this guy!
    :jam:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

And then, the debut gig arrived!

First impression: WOW!
    :hbang:

Adjustments:
    Classic Channel: Crunch
    Classic Gain: 7
    Classic Volume: 2.5
    Ultra Channel: Lead 01
    Ultra Gain: 6
    Ultra Volume: 2.5
    Treble: 7
    Middle: 9
    Bass: 6
    Tone Shift: Off
    Presence: 7
    Resonance: 6
    Classic Reverb: 3
    Ultra Reverb: 3

Well, the band I played with yesterday basically plays britrock... but I always use some extra weight, maybe 'cause of my "metalhead" background, so this DSL ... ah! this DSL!

All the time the amp did not exceed 2.5 (the bar is relatively small, for about 200 people). I used Crunch on the Classic channel, to have a semi clean to a heavy rhythm, and Lead 01 on the Ultra channel, for songs that asked for even more punch and sustaining solos... I could feel the punch in each palm muting, even in Crunch... compared to the rig I was using previously, another story, not only in punch, but also in terms of dynamics and note definition!

As an extra, I took only a tuner, a drive and a treble booster for different layers and an extra punch when necessary (both from Stomp Audio, a Brazilian pedal company that closed its activity in 2018, and that had a totally authorial line effects), and am done! Treble Booster, by the way, gone extremely well with the amp... think I'm going to have to get him back on the board, and something will have to go!

Well... I never played with the JCM800, but if the difference in its punch towards the one in the DSL is as big as I've already read here, then wow! I think it would have caused a widespread knockot there yesterday!

A plus: after two hours of play, the heat I was felting at home was almost exactly the same I had yesterday, playing at a higher volume! I'll buy me a multimeter just to clarify how is the BIAS in this amp, but it doesn't seem to be overheating, and the tones are awesome, so it isn't probably over biased too!

Summary: I don't know how to get more excited about new gear... it looks like this amp was what I was looking for a long time!
    :applause:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  19. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I thought you might be pleased with it. I'm glad to hear that you like it!

Be forewarned: your rabbit hole has been shown. You will find yourself falling ever farther into the depths of it's spell...

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Thanks! I'm definitely pleased with this amp!

But, I'll try to stay away from the wonderland for now! It isn't marriageproof! I'll need to go slowing towards it!
    :rofl: