DSL100H, Origin... what Marshall?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by TheOgre, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

.:cheers:

2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I have never once had the urge to modify any of my DSLs. To be fair, I think it largely depends on what kind of sound you want. For example, at the moment I am running a Friedman BE-OD in front of my DSL100H and it sounds downright monstrous this way... OTOH, there's a couple members here that suggest adding a simple choke mod, and it will do things that you wish an 800 would be capable of...

I like the DSL because of it's versatility. It can get you within ballpark areas of almost all the great Marshall amps.

See this video:

3. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

If the op just needs more power then my suggestion is to get a Laney gh , it has a great loop with level and are dirt cheap . But great build quality and reliability, you can also use el34’s or 6l6’s at the flick of a switch. It’s also a great ‘ Brit ‘ flavoured amp in its own right .

Mitchell Pearrow and TheOgre like this.
  4. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Sorry for the lack of response!

Got the point! I definitely don't need that 'ultra-MF' modern gain stuff, but like to have the chance to go towards that 80's or even some thrash drive tones. If I can use the crunch on green side to be a 'pseudo-clean channel', than this is it! I have a monster board, which maybe I could reduce with the new amplifier... not have standalone drives to be used in a clean amp (besides the tube preamp I use on Laney's loop), but it has a bunch of different boosters (Kloned, Timmy, Pale Horse, Tone Burst) and fuzzes to push an already driven tone into melting madness... if needed!

As for mods, already have a choke here, an am thinking about the C19 swap to 100p (Od bright cap), to tame any piercing treble... maybe, make it switchable between the two values... who knows?

This amplifier is on my radar too (as the VH)... however, those Laney heads are a bit rare here in Brazil. Found one recently, but costlier than the DSL100H plus its matching 2x12. The price of the DSL and matching cab I found here (used) near my place is almost a no brainer, as it's at the same price range of the DSL40CR (new) without considering the shipping cost.

I'm just worried with some things yet:
    - the DSL100H (2012) seems to be much more reliable than its earlier brother (2k DSL), but I still keep seing, here and there, some people complaining about issues (yeah! I know, electronics and stuff... I'm an EE, know a bit about it, could happen any place, anywhere);
    - the unit I'm looking at has two years of bedroom use, unique owner... don't even think it had been pushed any closer to its limits, which I don't know if is good or bad (100W is virtualy impossible to use at home);
    - would like a 50W amplifier more than a 100W beast (less tubes, less output, less weight to carry)... as stated, I play in two bands, but it happens few times in a month, mostly of time it will be being used at home, and even that its overdriven sounds will be comin' from the preamp stages, don't know if those 100W wouldn't be too over for a home use. Does the triode position of the switch helps with it?

Even thought to use something like the JHS Little Black Amp (the unique one I know) to be a pseudo master at the loop, helping tame a bit the volume at home!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. mcblink

Yep, the green channel actually has two modes of operation. One is clean, the other is crunch, selected by a button on the control panel. If you were to use the crunch mode, you certainly can back the gain off and get good pseudo cleans. This way sounds pretty good boosted as well. Sounds like it fits the bill. As you know, there is a pentode/triode switch on the rear of the amp. I always run mine at full power. Even at home. The DSL doesn't necessarily need loads of volume to get good tones, as most of the dirt comes from the preamp section and not from power tube saturation. I like full power because even though I may be playing it quietly, it still sounds "bigger" YMMV. Besides, 100W is only going to produce about 3dB more than 50W.

It is an excellent platform for pedals.

My DSLH is a 2013, btw....I've yet to have any kind of issue with it. It's been a solid amp ever since I bought it.

6. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Ah! Don't care about the clean side of the green channel, as much as the crunch side could do the trick of the clean and crunch (used to use the Laney this way before getting the external preamp). And, for the lead, the OD channel seems to be killer (if used with a bit of control on the drive pot).
    :dude:

OK! Double the power, just get an increment of 3dB de audio. But the tone is thinner with the triode mode? Or is the tone unaltered (never played with an amp with this), just with less pressure?

Yeah! I understand its topology! I see that most of the tone is being done in the preamp, and the power is running unpushed, like most of the modern amps, differently from the amps that rely strongly on the glory of power tubes distortion.
    :yesway:

So, if it sounds good at lower volumes, to be played at home (too) with not so much compromise, seems that will need to pull the trigger on it if it pass on the "ear test" I'm willing to do. But, the "magic box" (pseudo master at loop) seems a simple an uncostly add. A pot, a small box and two jacks.

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  7. mcblink

Personally, yes, I do find the half power mode to sound a bit "thinner", but some guys like it that way. I use a 1960A 4x12 with mine, the difference may be less apparent with a 2x12, but I can't say for sure because I don't have a 2x12...

And yeah, the OD channel is pretty killer, I find that old "less is more" adage to hold true when applied to the gain on this channel. I used to run OD1 with the gain down pretty low, but then I would push it with a tube screamer. The TS would be set with the drive low and the volume up, and it really seemed to beef up the sound quite nicely.

8. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Awesome! Almost the way I must run it here!
    :hbang:

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  9. mcblink

I'd say give it a test run, if possible! I think you'd like it, but the only way that YOU are going to know if YOU like it, is if YOU try it!
    Give it a shot!

TheOgre likes this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

I have the little brother Dsl40c’s
    And I can confirm what Blink is saying, mine are rock solid and kick out the jams, like the Marshall amps of before.
    (in my ears) and regardless of country of origin.
    I do believe you will enjoy the DSL 100H like no other.
    Cheers Mitch

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Yeah! Always... when possible! The place where I live here in Brazil is a bit tricky to find some pieces of gear, but, this DSL in particular, is from a guy that lives near my home! So, will take my guitar and a booster to try it! Maybe tonight...
    :applause:

And, by the way, your ex-DSL40C, now DSL40H, is killer!
    :hbang:

12. mcblink

Good luck! Let us know your thoughts when you get a chance to check it out.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

[​IMG]image up load
    Ogre mine are still combos, but they think they are heads!
    Cheers

kustombob, scozz, BanditPanda and 2 others like this.
  14. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

I think I'm just seing too much! However, even as combo, they're still awesome!
    :lol:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Thanks brother, BP has converted his into a head, as did BFT Gibson, Jon C , and a few other guys , that I can’t recall their names.
    These amps do rock however.
    Cheers

scozz, BanditPanda and TheOgre like this.
  16. instinctfx

instinctfx Active Member

I recently bought a DSL100H as a backup for my main JCM2000 head. THe DSL100 is a great sounding amp!
    Ive done two tone demo's with and without pedals on my youtube channel if you want to have a listen to some sounds ?

PART 1 - with a pedalboard and tones

PART 2 - Just plain guitar, no fx.

17. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It's really that DSL is a lot better than a Laney and a preamp.
    But
    The DSL doesn't need the distortion pedals so you may need to become accustomed to the concept of pure tube.
    Never the less you should have a spare DSL around just in case the Laney blows a tube.
    And in case you need more technical information, watch the video -- which I think explains it all in detail.

RCM 800, Mitchell Pearrow and TheOgre like this.
  18. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Just watched both of them, before seing they here! Good work on those videos!

Even better! But, as a matter of experience, maybe I'll try it at moderate drive levels too, and gives it some extra punch with pedals! Let's see what happens! I'll try it tomorrow with my Wash WI66ANC and an Wylde Od and, if so, it'll come back home with me!

PS.: this video is hilarious!

19. TheOgre

TheOgre Member

Very well... first of all, thanks everyone who helped in this thread!! Gone, tested and... voilà!! Now I'm officialy Marshall-ized (for the first time)!! Hope to have joy and lucky with this (not so) little guy!! Previous owner was the unique owner, and it had been used for almost 02 years of only bedroom playing, it's like new!! Will have a gig in the other Saturday, and will be possible to open up the sound for a good test!!

FB_IMG_1579837164034.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579837169164.jpg
    Cheers!!

20. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey Oggy lol... fantastic. That is so cool!!! You must be really excited by this acquisition.
    Wow. We're just gonna love your comments as you become acquainted with the Beast lol!!
    BP

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and TheOgre like this.