Dsl100h Not A "real Marshall"?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobpick68, Dec 1, 2018.

1. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

No, I noticed a trend that non DSL owners don’t think they’re real Marshall’s, but the people that own and play them, love them.
    You’re completely right regarding the circuit. The original Marshall circuit (and maybe others I’m not aware of) was a souped up Bassbreaker, but the circuit is most known to be associated with Fender. There’s even an amp in a box pedal Catalinbread makes named called 5f6. Guess what tone it’s supposed to cop; Fender.
    You don’t know anything about me, or my thought process. So, I’d appreciate you not telling me what I’m trying to imply, thanks.

daiku likes this.
  2. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

I got laughed at in a Marshall group I joined for stating the only Marshalls I own are DSL's. If that's not elitism I dont know what is.

3. jericbrazier

I think you got the last laugh. You got a great sounding amp for <$1k. They payed at least triple for their amp’s, if they’re big iron heads, that they’ll never use to their potential.
    I’ve found douche’s like that have only ever played in their homes with their beloved British assembled amps because nobody wants to play music with a stuck up arsehole. Besides maybe, other stuck up arseholes.

4. StonehouseGuitars

StonehouseGuitars Member

Here is a video I took of my DSL setup. Note that I took this with a phone, and at 4 in the morning. The volume of the amps was barely on. This is the setup of two $500 amps and a $300 mexican guitar. And I think it sounds amazing. And when you crank the amps to 5 or 10, wow, wow wow. They sound round, fat, thick, and the fidelity is amazing. That is the characteristic of a *REAL* marshall: The more you turn them up and the louder they get, the better they sound. This is the advantage Marshall has over every other amplifier as far as I'm concerned.

5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Dude those amps sound exceptionaly good, and like real Marshall’s to me, and I like how you are running them , as I do the same with a pair of dsl40c’s! Cheers Mitch

6. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

One of my goals is to get another 40c and run them in dual mono. Gotta sell another amp first though.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

8. Mitchell Pearrow

These 2 40c’s are actually in stereo, with the help of a vox tone lab to split the guitar signal, and a tube overdrive, as it called on the tone lab, and a touch of delay! Cheers Mitch :cheers:

bobpick68 likes this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

10. Mitchell Pearrow

The cheater clip is also using the tone lab but every thing is off, only using it to split the guitar signal, plus this is in the red 2 channels, and for more punch, a lead 100 mosfet, and at low volume, not at 3 and up, with my faithful faded SG! Cheers Mitch:cheers:

bobpick68 likes this.
  11. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Just to screw up the trending data ;)

I have one and hate it most of the time. I have always struggled to get it to sound the way I wanted it to. But it does have some great sounds and some days I absolutely loved it when I tried dialing some tones in I would not normally use.

12. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Member

All I claim to know is what you wrote. no need to take it personally.

13. jericbrazier

You told me what I implied, and had obviously missed my point, read your post. Now you know me enough to know if I took something personally? Presumptive? I didn’t take it personally. That’s why I write cheers at the end of posts like that.
    Cheers!

14. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

Great tone! What are your EQ settings on this?

15. Mitchell Pearrow

I am sorry SS, I will have to look at the amp when I get home from work, but I can tell you that I am running a pair of dsl40c’s with the vox tone lab, the tube over drive on the vox tone lab (as it is called, and the 68 uk) amp sims, the amps are on the clean green channel, gain at 2 on the dial, volume on 2 on the dial, the rest of the eq is set similar to the cheater settings, I can verify this when I get home from work, latter today! Cheers Mitch

16. daiku

daiku Member

I’ll tell you what...I’ve owned several vintage Fender Champs, and my DSL1CR is 100% more satisfying to play. I played a DSL 40 at Guitar Center and loved it. After all, it’s our own ears that count.

bobpick68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

Treble 7 mids 8 bass 6 presence 8 resonance 5, amp #2 was the same except bass 7 resonance 7 reverb 2 on both amps

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Seventh Son likes this.
  18. jericbrazier

I totally agree. I was posting within the context of the thread. Isn’t it common knowledge that tone is subjective?

19. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

it's a Marshall, my favorite amps I have are not real if you ask some people JMD 1 . They are even less Marshall than the DSL100H. digital!!!!! I love them. JMD Rig BGW.jpeg

Guitar Rod and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

I love my JCMs but but my lord the DSL line is great bang for the buck-I paid similar money as I did for my DSL40c for trash solid state amps back in the early 90’s. Really its remarkable that Marshall can sell that amp at that price.