Dsl100h Not A "real Marshall"?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobpick68, Dec 1, 2018.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

You can add me to the list of people that love them. I have the 40 combo and the 100 head now they are both tremendous amplifiers.

2. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Member

I'm sure that's true, but then there are some who don't have one because they actually went out and tried them. Everybody isn't going to like the same sound as you.

3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

When it comes to Code …… Your Milage Might Vary for real !!!

4. bobpick68

Yep. I played through a brand new Orange Rockverb 50 the other day and I thought it was horrible. I see people bragging about those all the time.

Dean Swindell likes this.
  5. bobpick68

Not to take away from anyone who likes them but even as someone who likes amp modeling I couldnt coax a good sound out of the CODE 100 I bought. Sent it back immediately.

Jon C and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I believe that the code takes a huge learning curve, what to do what not to do with them, same goes with the MG line

Jon C likes this.
  7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I went to a show, where a bunch of guys played over the course of the night. 1 guy played w/ a DSL, the rest were modded JCM800s & a couple modded JMPs. The JMPs & 800s, killed that poor DSL. The DSL hardly even cut through the mix, while the rest of the amps were the stuff of LOUD...

It was a real eye opener. You could tell the difference night & day, within the confines of a mix.

I've also seen Schenker tons of times & his rhythm guitarist Wayne, mostly always used a DSL, while MS used a 2205. The 2205 cut through the mix, while the DSL wasn't really cutting through...

thunderstruck507 and Jon C like this.
  8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

CODE's not a real Marshall... :)...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

Why are you wasting even 1 second of your time worrying about what anybody online or anywhere else says about if your Marshall is good enough? Have some confidence in your playing abilities and melt your critics faces with your righteous riffs. And if you ain't got no righteous riffs I guess you better get a real Marshall.

10. daiku

daiku Member

My only experience with the Vietnam-made DSLs is my DSL1CR, which I’ve had for several months now. It’s been problem free, and I think it’s the best living room amp I’ve ever had, better than the vintage Fender Champs I’ve owned (the DSL’s clean/slightly gritty tone nails what I’m looking for). If I could wave a magic wand, and transform it into a UK made amp, would I? Sure. But as it is, I haven’t found a better tiny tube amp for $300. Sure sounds and performs like a REAL Marshall to me.

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

By cheating with a vox tone lab , I was able to get a convincing tone out of an mg 100 Half stack, on its clean channel, so I feel confident in saying that I could do the same with a code! Both not real ? Marshall’s, They sure sound real to me even the cdr15, they all have a Marshall flavor, that is unmistakable! Cheers Mitch

12. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I owned a dsl40c for over a year. It was indeed a nice amp. But I mostly play classic rock and blues and found earlier marshalls fit my styles better. If you like it rock it! That's all that counts.

Mitchell Pearrow and daiku like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Once the bass and drums kicks in nobody gives a damn!

14. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I've seen a few live bands that used the DSL amps and they always sounded good. Guess I've never seen a show where both amps were present.

Either way I still consider them as real a Marshall as any other, just different.

Doing back to back demos of my old TSL and 2203 KK was an eye opener for me personally. It was an instant decision to keep the JCM 800 instead of flipping it for profit.

15. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

It says Marshall on the grill. It’s produced by Marshall, in a factory owned by Marshall. ITS A MARSHALL. The only people who seem to think otherwise, appear to a.not own a DSL b. their only knock on the amp is where it’s manufactured, as they type on their Chinese phones, watching their Chinese TV’s c. Are corksniffing d-bags who think anything produced since ‘69 isn’t the real thing.
    As I’ve said before, everyone who has a dsl40c or 100h (not the new “r” series) that I’ve spoken to, or read posts from, dig ‘em.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

There have been several Marshall amps I was never able to get along with (i.e. get the tone I was looking for out of them). Any of the 900 series, the Joobies, Valvestate of any generation, JVM, 30th Anniversary, and the DSL off the top of my head. Some of those are really highly regarded amps, but they never did a thing for me, and many I couldn't sell fast enough after purchase.

That doesn't make any of them less of a "real" Marshall. That kind of talk is for 7th Graders.

Gary Moore could make a DSL sounds MASSIVE with a low output vintage single coils and his 61 fiesta red. Brian Robertson gets amazing tone out of a SL-X. Both of those guys have magic hands that makes everything sound amazing no matter what pickups or amp they are plugged into. A lot of people get killer tones out of their Jubilees. Adrian Smith's 30th anniversary sounds fantastic when he plays through it.

Now, the CODE..that may be debatable, since it's just a bunch of 1s and 0s ;)

17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

just thinking of Gary Moore Voodoo Chile it sounded fucking great!

18. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

I consider my White DSL40c with a well broken in V-30 to be my Desert Island Amp. Preface this with the fact that I also have: A '78 100 watt 2203, A 100 watt Vintage Modern, a 100 Watt JVM 410, a 100 watt 1959, a 50 watt 1982 JCM 800 2x12, A 50 Watt JVM 205h, a 100 watt JCM 2000 DSL, a Pair of JTM 60s, And a 100 watt 2203 re-issue. Yet, If I was only allowed to keep one (to actually play and not be a collector), It'd have to be that white DSL 40c no question though I will
    say it would only narrowly beat out the JVM 205h.

19. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

Pretty solid endorsement right there. They sound great.

Guitar Rod and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Right!People are too quick to yank the stock speaker out-let er break in a bit and yes your Marshall is as real as any of the domestic vehicles rolling around loaded with parts made all over the globe