DSL vs. JVM (1 watters)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by thenoodler, Aug 6, 2012.

1. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

Since I'm not really all that familiar with the more modern Marshall amp sounds (AFD100 excluded), I'm curious what people anticipate the differences to be between these two 1 watt amps? I'm not talking feature wise that much is obvious, I'm talking sound wise.

How would you characterize the DSL sound vs. the JVM sound? Is one heavier than the other? Is one likely to have more gain?

Also which of the amp modes do you expect to be emulated in these ?

Are there any good A/B comparisons of DSL vs. JVM tones out there?

BlackLabel likes this.
  2. Darth Federer

Darth Federer Well-Known Member

Good post. I'm curious too since I am about to make the decision to get the JVM1 or not. Maybe one of the English members will be able to give us some first hand comparisons before long. I've seen a couple posts that seem to suggest the others will be available(in England) quite a while before we see them in the states.

3. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

The DSL1 has a Classic Gain/Ultra Gain switch, a Tone Shift switch, and a Deep Switch. The JVM1 has a Clean/OD switch and a Resonance switch on the front panel. The JVM1 is the only one of the 1-watt amps that has a Presence Control knob.

I'll assume, at this point from the pictures, that the JVM will have a cleaner clean channel than the DSL, and the OD channel will probably have the most gain/distortion out of all of the 1-watt amps. But the DSL will be right on its ass with gain on the ultra-channel. I wonder how the tone-shift will work on it.

I kinda wish I had all 5 heads, but I'm trying to get a job so I can buy them all right now. If I had the job, I could buy them in advance and recoup the money loss over time. That could work.

4. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

Also, does anyone else feel like they should have done something to further differentiate the modern Marshall 1 watts from the JCM1? What I mean is cosmetically the JCM1 looks similar to the last two amps. They could have done something further to differentiate such as colored tolex or something.

5. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I think as many or more people would complain about the non-traditional design than those who are underwhelmed with the aesthetics of the DSL/JVM. The way I see it is that the first three have decades of tone recognition as a legendary voicing. The other two have features, but lack "distinguishing" features to set DSL apart from JVM or vice-versa. That makes the prospect of buying both dramatically low, and if one is not going to buy ALL of them, he is perhaps as likely not to buy either.

6. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

So it looks like both Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are now taking pre orders for the DSL1 on their websites. It's a bit odd because neither of them were taking any pre-orders for the JCM1's on their websites. It seemed like the JCM1's were going to be so scarce and now there is a flood of them. Did Marshall initially threaten low supply of the 1 watters and then all of the sudden change their mind and decide to just flood the market with them?

What's the deal with these things?

7. FFXIhealer

Who cares? I'll actually be able to get one without hunting them down for hours on the internet...

8. Darth Federer

Darth Federer Well-Known Member

Of the first three, I thought the JCM would be the easiest to get because I would think there were more of these made because of popularity and demand. It would be interesting to know the production numbers of each of these but I don't think it's going to be necessary to preorder the last two. All the serial numbers on my three 1 watters are very low but the highest one is the JCM1. Curious to know if anyone has a serial number over 1,000.

9. brp

brp Well-Known Member

What's the release date on the DSL-1?

And why does GC say "just arrived" if it's a pre-order? :/

Also,

It was all a matter of how many the North American distributor ordered from Marshall. Maybe they (N.A. distribution) anticipated many more sales of the JCM ( in relation to the other 1 watters, due to the connection to the notorious 800) when they ordered (presumably well in advance of release) and it's not turning out to be the case that as many people as they anticipated are up for paying $800-ish for a 1 watter despite the JCM800 lineage.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

October.

Because GC is out to lunch.....:thumb:

diesect20022000 and brp like this.
  11. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

FFX, I desperately want this to be true , but I suspect it's not the case. Have you read Marshall's description of the amp?

"this amp will take you from a resonant clean to a classic high gain lead sound at the press of a switch."
    "Two Channels - Clean and Overdrive (footswitchable)"

From this description I get the impression that it will have a clean channel and a "classic gain" channel. My fear is that this amp will not approach the level of gain one would expect from the "ultra gain channel".

Given that I already own the JMP1 and JCM1, I really do want the DSL to have a more modern high gain channel that starts where the JCM leaves off and push into that "ultra" territory.

12. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

You can research and theorize away, but in the end you need to play one to find out.

13. Username2

Username2 New Member

The release date for the DSL1 will be mid September and the release for the JVM1 mid November. Contrary to what any website says or shows you there will be no amps until then.

I know there have been website showing them in stock but it is bullshit. Same goes for the 50th Bluesbreaker, production won't even start until September. So those are NOT in stock either.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  14. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I think this is the other problem of the "modern" heads...

JTM-JCM is about "that tone". DSL-JVM is about versatility and modern convenience. You can forgive the absence of a Mids and/or prescence knob on a mini classic if it delivers the goods, but the draw of the newer stuff are all the bells and whistles that make the amp so versatile. The more you cut into that, the less authentic the approximation becomes.

newbies likes this.
  15. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

It's not so much the "authenticity" that matters to me since I don't own the original, what matters on the modern ones to me is a "modern gain" sound. I already have "classic gain" sounds in the JMP and JCM, so I don't need another 1 watt amp with a "classic gain" sound. What I need is a 1 watt amp with an over the top modern heavy distortion.

16. FFXIhealer

Look for yourself.
    [​IMG]

Classic Gain / Ultra Gain. If you want cleans, go to Classic Gain and turn the Gain down so it cleans up.

17. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

Wow! You just sold me another Marshall 1 watt amp!

Where did you get that closeup picture? Is it from the NAMM show? Or do you actually have one of these sitting in your possession?

If you have a similar close up of the JVM, could you post that one also?

Thanks!

18. guitargoalie

guitargoalie Well-Known Member

curious to hear the dsl1 against my dsl50 lol

19. Groovejunkie

Groovejunkie Active Member

great pic. throw a jvm-1 pic up if you have one :fingersx:

20. FFXIhealer

Your attention to detail astounds me. Am I the only person who's noticed the flaw in that picture? Go back and have a Where's Waldo moment.

The first person to post the error in that picture will get...

...mad props?

And as for the JVM1,
    [​IMG]