DSL: instead of mod Lead channel, add gain to crunch!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by surface54, May 16, 2010.

1. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

You sure you don't mean wanting the tone of the green with the gain of the red? That's what most users me included are after.....even in the shitty second vid i posted you can hear the bass drop a bit when going from red to green.....in my case it is a good drop.....the mod i most want to do at this point is eliminate the deep switch in lead mode

2. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

no boost what so ever....that's a custom shop Duncan with a cable into the head.....the green has that much gain.....i'll make another vid with a clean clip so you can at least tell if the mike is still clipping .....it will still sound like shit but it will give you a better idea of the gain boost on the green

3. surface54

surface54 Well-Known Member

what custom shop duncan you have? i have the Custom 8 but i made it myself so it isnt a custom shop release that is.
    i love the crunch tone in your videos, i can hear past the clipping and hear the good stuff!
    the more i get used the DSL that more i appreciate it, it just bashes the shit out of my cab in a good way, resonates the bass and wow im cant say more.

4. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

it is one of the ones wound for a company i used to work for....its kinda of a cross between a JB and a Screamin Demon.....really i dont think it is anything more than a Invader with different pole pieces. only marking on it other than the stamp is a CSJJ sticker

5. axl2

axl2 New Member

What are you setting it at? more importantly are you playing with the deep switch or tone shift engaged you're right that, that is a tone of gain on the green channel.

I also agree with whoever said the Lead 2 and Green Channel are comparable which is why you can use them together in a lot of ways. The Green Channel has better characteristics IMO but for soloing where a lot of people want more gain compression and long thick sustain is where the Green Channel kind of lacks without pedals engaged.

6. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

pres 5 treb 4 mid 2 bass 6.....deep and shift out....both gains maxed

in stock form they are not the same.....even with some mods they are still different......that's why i posted about eliminating the deep on the red.....if i do that i think it will be all i need to balance the two perfectly

7. axl2

axl2 New Member

You're saying the deep end is higher on the Lead channel compared to the green?

8. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

deeper yes......higher no....with the deep in on green and out on red i think i will be almost matched....still not perfect but i dont think even i would be able to tell the difference at that point......other than the gain increase

9. surface54

when i have the deep switch in on the crunch its wayy too bassy, i run it on 5 without deep switch. but on the lead 1 chan it seem better to have deep switch on to make it more even. i agree that the lead 2 and crunch are more similar.

10. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

here is another shitty clip with the same shitty setup.....this one is all 4 modes....both gains maxed and about 1/2 on the volume.....just audible enough....again this is no tone or playing vid....just a reference to what can be had
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYxJqguGx0]YouTube - 4 up 4 down.mpg[/ame]

11. chucke

chucke Member

How bizarre!

I have not been on the forum in months. Just last night I was experimenting with the crunch channel. I was thinking the same thing! The crunch channel sounds MUCH better but it does not have enough gain for me. It sounds so much fuller with nice low end. You could never reproduce the sound in the lead channel.

I was thinking about getting the mod that allows you to switch from clean to crunch in the green channel. The only problem is with the gain cranked to 10 the clean will not be as clean as I would like it to be. I guess I could roll back the volume to clean it up.

I would like to hear more recommendations for an overdrive that will add more gain and still retain the nice thick low end that the crunch channel has.

I really don't like the lead channel even for leads. It sounds too compressed, thin and noisy.

12. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

Graham has the switching mod available here.....http://www.marshallforum.com/marsha...-clean-crunch-footswitch-last.html........but it wont get you a gain increase though.....

13. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

14. chucke

chucke Member

True. I understand what the mod does. It is all good. With the mod I would use the green channel exclusively. Clean/crunch and then an OD for more gain.

First thing is first. I would like to see if I can find an OD pedal to achieve the higher gain that I want. If I am able to find one that I like, I would then get the mod to allow foot switching from clean to crunch.

15. surface54

i guess the KEY to the crunch channel is getting a really good tube screamer and boosting it. probably something like a maxon od808 with those smooth mids, you can boost the level and gain and it wont over grate it. thats the only overdrive pedal i want these days.

16. spiritdave

spiritdave New Member

I think what some people forget is that it's not JUST the amp ... the amount of gain etc can be hugely changed by the pickups you have. I had some high output pups in my LesPaul and then dropped them out and put in Alnico II Pro's and the gain dropped a fair amount. So consider that too.

17. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

id rather not have a pedal....i'll get it from the amp.....not to mention for the cost of that pedal i could modify at least 70 DSL100's to get close to my head in gain

+1.....the CS Duncans i recorded that with are 13.5k....usually i use JB's ....but every time i get a new fiddle i try every pickup i have.....this combo is looking like a winner

18. surface54

ive never played a gain channel on any amp that sounds good stock-no boost or effects, especially the crunch channel on a DSL.
    i like the control over the tone i get by boosting it. not saying that others cant, i just dont like most amps stock bass and low end, its always too loose for my taste. i think ive got this crunch channel under control now! sounding like a rock machine now.