DSL: instead of mod Lead channel, add gain to crunch!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by surface54, May 16, 2010.

1. surface54

surface54 Well-Known Member

DSL mod: instead of mod Lead channel, add to crunch!

ive read all the lead channel mods, and i just dont want to change it, reason is for solos the lead channel is actually excellent, it does what the name imply's lead tone. dont think it would be much of a lead channel if it had the full body of the crunch channel. so why not mod the crunch channel for more gain, to almost the gain of Lead 1 on 8 or 9. then it would be literally one of the best rock metal amps ever. cause we all know if that crunch had a little more gain on tap wow it would be the standard, but it doesnt. and adding alot of boost to the front of the crunch channel just makes it sound a little overly crunchy, almost staticy, it doesnt have the palm muted articulation the lead channel does. i want to enjoy the crunch channel more its just hard to deal with the lack of gain. im sure its possible, is there someone who knows if there is enough that can be altered on the crunch circuit to make it nearly a good mod? or is it pretty well set with its gain structure amount and only tone controls can be modded, i dont know how it all works btw.

2. IG88

IG88 New Member

with 4 stages of gain, it's got plenty. lead ch is 5 stages. LOTs of signal choking type of resistors in the first coupling path on first ch, I bet you could make a monster. Maybe have to lower gain in lead ch to compensate, since they all share some stages, lots of ways to do that too. I like Soldanoizing the 3rd stage too, 39k Rk and a plate snubber, and upping the gain elsewhere. I just barely started to explore the endless possibilities, but now I want a 1987x and a tonebone and a phantom and no $. typical.

3. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:)Surface, to add gain to the CRUNCH Channel ONLY, You need to change the Value of R12 on the Frontboard (the one attached to all the pots). It's stock value is 470K. Try lowering it to 220K, 100K, or even remove and jumper it. That should give you some more of what you want.

:):) TWIN

4. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Be careful though. If you reduce it too much, you'll lose bass and low mids. I wouldn't go under 220k if you want to retain the grenn channel's character.

5. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

True Dat. I did that exact thing and went back to a 220K. Along with the other Joey mods I had no bottom end at all with it jumpered. His is totally stock though, He just wants more Gain on the Crunch only.

:):) TWIN

6. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

But even without all the other other mods you did on your DSL, reducing the value of that resistor too much just empties out the sound.

7. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

i jumped it and thought it was great... my head still has that one....but it alone will not give you the gain you might be looking for....even the drunken Irishman does not have the gain of lead 1 at 7-8...i'm bringing my head home today (finally) i have not even heard the thing in almost two weeks. but i will post how the green maxed compares to a number on lead 1....i'm guessing no higher than 6

8. surface54

i could deal with that. green on 10 equals lead on 6. too bad not 8. then i could boost it and it sit real nice in heavy metal territory. isnt it weird heavy metal is less than metal.

9. axl2

axl2 New Member

Why not just add an OD on it. I'm assuming the JCM 800 and the green channel are fairly equal for gain? You could just do play it like like everyone plays the JCM 800 then use Lead 1 and Lead 2 just for solos. I use Lead 2, roll the gain back a bit for some attack.

Ahh read your whole first post, I get what you are saying.

10. surface54

you guys think a better overdrive boost will offer better results for the crunch channel boost, im using a bad monkey and or a boss od-2 at the moment. the bad monkey is a little gritty and the boss od-2 is a little bright with overall less volume boost but is the clearer of the two. maybe something like a Maxon or Ibanez with a warmer smoother mid range will boost the crunch channel better without the extra hissy crunch.

ive never played the JCM800, does the DSL's crunch channel really have about the same amount of gain as the 800? wow those 800s really didnt have alot of gain then if that statement is true.

thanks for all the replys :)

11. axl2

axl2 New Member

Don't quote me on it...But the JCM 800 2203 and the DSL Green seem to have the same gain stage, someone else could tell you better. I know the 2210 and 2205 JCM 800's have a higher gain stage then the 2203 in them however.

12. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

13. surface54

interesting. so the Lead channel is more like a hot rodded 800 and beyond.
    cool.

14. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I just checked my DSL vs my 2204 and the gain is slightly more on my DSL with the 220k resistor.

15. surface54

wow, so really you get a rather impressive package from the DSL series.

16. surface54

how do you guys compare the crunch channels voicing to the original 2203 800s?
    i assume the DSL has more bass.

17. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

The DSL has different bass. Overall, its smoother. The mids are shifted slightly lower too. The differences are slight. With upgrade trannys and a choke, the differences become even less noticeable.

In terms of bass, I'd say that the 2204 has more balls. The DSL's bass is warmer/rounder if that makes any sense to you.

18. surface54

hell yeah, i learned alot in this thread. i never knew how much gain a 800 actually had. yeah the crunch channels bass is massively filled out and clear.
    which is probably a more modern 800 tone. nice nice nice...
    i think im going to work with the crunch channel more now. cause really its full like i want the lead channel to be but with less gain, so maybe i need to boost differently and play with less gain once in a while. :)

19. axl2

axl2 New Member

Worked well for Gary Moore when he used the DSL's. I think he played exclusively on the Green Channel and boosted with OD pedals.

20. axl2

axl2 New Member

I find the big difference is the low mids in the JCM 800. Though you can get a nice mid hump through an EQ or a boost to help in the DSL to make up for it. I place the mids cranked on the Green Channel. It's a very thick and attacky channel. Really brings out everything great and bad about your playing. I've pretty much converted exclusively to that channel.