DSL 401 Tubes

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by MistaLesPaul, Feb 6, 2011.

1. MistaLesPaul

MistaLesPaul New Member

I've finally been able to sit down with my DSL 401 that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I havent had a chance to crack it open to see whats in it.

As far as I can tell, whoever had this thing before me replaced the tubes from stock.

Pre-amp: Three Mesa 12ax7

Power-amp: Three Sovtek EL84/6BQ5 and there's one Fender branded tube and I have no clue what it is..:confused:

I'm afraid to touch the tubes cause I don't want to mess anything up..but I'm really worried that the Fender tube is a 6L6 or something that shouldn't be there...

Also the power tubes seem like a reddish color...I've heard this is bad. Does it look like I need new tubes?

I'll try to post a pic:

[​IMG]

2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

The pic is pretty dark, but nothing looks out of the ordinary.

You need to check the bias on the amp. A must for the 401. Also, if the previous owner has power tubes mixed and matched in there, it's not a good idea. You need to pick up a matching quad of power tubes......JJ's are pretty reliable and readily available.

I doubt the Fender tube is a 6L6, as it would be shaped far differently than the skinny EL-84 bottle style. If you go to take them out, just use some caution and common sense; let them cool off so you don't burn a finger, and GENTLY wiggle them loose, using a slight side to side or circular motion. Try to 'yard' them out and you might break the glass.

You actually have four preamp tubes as well. There is one under the metal sleeve, that's V1 and controls much of your gain.

3. MistaLesPaul

MistaLesPaul New Member

I just took the tubes out of the power-amp and turns out they are all Fender Sovtek EL84's.

Silly me :lol:

4. GeeJay

GeeJay New Member

I put JJ Tesla 4x EL84 in the power amp.

The stock Marshall branded 12AX7 in V1 and EI 12AX7 in V2 and V3.

The inverter tube is a JJ 12AX7., which I've changed when changing power amp tubes.

I tried JJ's in the pre-amp, but prefered the stock tubes, which have been in there just over 10-years now. I'm on the third set of power tubes, they seem to last about 3-4years. I got mine from a UK supplier, but I understand that Eurotubes is a reputable supplier in the US..

5. MistaLesPaul

MistaLesPaul New Member

Since the tubes seem 'OK', would you guys reccommend replacing the tubes anyways, or a speaker upgrade?

The stock Marshall speaker seems kind of fizzy and it's not really my taste. Can anyone reccommend a reputable speaker that's better then the stock one? I've looked up V30's and theres a lot of GOOD and BAD reviews. I'm also looking at the Celestion Greenback G12.

Thank you for any input.

6. GeeJay

GeeJay New Member

I've kept the stock speaker in mine, but built a matching closed-back 1x12" cab into which I fitted a G12-75. I think it's common for folks to fit a V30 and I considered a G12H..

Sounds alright to me and I've had some nice compliments on my tone in the past. BTW I play a 2002 LP std..

7. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

Fix for a fizzy speaker. Take a 4 to 6 inch diameter plastic lid off of a coffee can or something similar and tape it on the front of your grille cloth directly over the center of the 12" speaker. Should knock out most of the fizz that you here. if that works for you, and you want something that looks better, by a Weber Beam Blocker...it does the same thing without being as noticeable.

sc-closer