Dr banned me from playing guitar..

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wenander, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

..for 1 month, at least. diagnosed with Ulnaris nerve problems, numbness of pinky and ringfinger in both hands and lack of strength :wtf:

feel like a weak old person here...this sucks.

anyone had this? did it get better in a month? I got these braces on both hands to have on parts of the day and during night, plus some excerecises to do.

and my new speakers i ordered may just arrive today or tomorrow :redface:

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

mojo sent.

What nerve group, flexor or extensor.

3. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

dont know, he called it "ulnaris" .... nerves that go out to pinky, ring and half of middleefinger ... but i have only symptoms in ring and pinky. left hand is worse than right..and i play righthanded.

found this https://www.physio-pedia.com/Flexor_Carpi_Ulnaris_Muscle

4. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

I had much the same for years. Worked out I had a habit of sleeping with my hands over my head causing numbness in the pinkies & next one. Took me a while to break the habit but all good now. Go figure.

Mitchell Pearrow and Wenander like this.
  5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hello @Wenander
    I have ankylosing spondylitis which causes inflammation in my spine where the nerves emerge into the arms.
    This can impinge on the ulnar nerve periodically.
    So I have a mild form of the same condition that comes and goes, leaving me with some numbness in my ring and little fingers of both hands (mostly right) from time to time.
    As my problem starts at the spine, finger/hand movements doesn't exacerbate it, it is just annoying but may get worse with age.
    My sympathies go out to you, but I think you need to heed the advice of your doctor or the problem may become chronic.
    Hopefully you will make a full recovery soon.
    The terms flexor and extensor refer to tendons, not nerves.
    The ulnar nerve controls the little finger half of the hand.
    The median nerve controls the thumb half of the hand.

6. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

Thanks.

ok so can bmething in the back even .... hmm. i have very bad posture so ! =)

7. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

doc said that, i should not sleep on my arms or something like that. How do i control that ?

8. Madfinger

Copious amounts of alcohol & make sure you lay down with your arms by your side. Doesn't help with snoring but thats someone else's problem.

Mitchell Pearrow and Wenander like this.
  9. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

Sounds healthy =)

whiskey and beers then maybe....jeeez, not good for my immuneesystem in these coronatimes )=

10. SkyMonkey

My causes are quite specific to my condition.
    If the doctor has advised stopping repetitive hand movements such as playing guitar, then that is most likely the cause.
    Try to think if you have started doing any other tasks that could have contributed to the problem (typing, DIY, crochet?).
    If you have been playing for a number of years, but this is your first time with this problem, something else you have been doing has contributed to the cause.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

3 years ago I did an allnighter with some friends and fell asleep drunk on the backseat of the car. I managed to pinch my ulnar nerve in my right elbow somehow. Woke up with a numb feeling in my ringfinger and pinky, thought it would go away, it didn't. Went to the doctor and she told me I'd have to pay for a measurement test of the electric current going through my nerves.

I never did. I refrained from playing guitar for a month, massaged my elbow area with warming gels (containing capsaicin, the chemical compound found in hot peppers and chillis that causes the burning sensation) that induce bloodflow, stopped weightlifting and paid a bit of attention to the way I sleep (try to not to flex your arms, rather try to get into the habit of keeping them extended out during sleep)

In the end I had some general back problems and went to a Shiatsu masseuse my mum recommended me, whatever she did she probably unpinched a nerve in my back. Cause I had the periodical falling asleep of the ringfinger and pinky in my other hand too all of a sudden. Most times I woke up during the night when it happened.

My suspicion is that a nerve in my back that connects to the ulnar nerves in my hands was to blame.

Anyway, the warming gels and massages did help. After a month or so I slowly got better. Friggin scary situation, I couldn't palmmute properly without any sensation in my right hand.

Posture is important. First of all, don't rest your weight on your elbows. Don't have your arm hanging out the car window when driving. The less strain you put on the nervus ulnaris that passes through your elbow, the better.

I use a footstool and play in classical position or standing up. I try to keep my back straight. I never wanna go back to that ugly situation of not being able to play.

Take a break, pay attention to your elbows and your back. Go visit a chiropractor or as it was in my case a Shiatsu expert. First I thought it was some bogus, but I assure you, whatever that lady did, it felt like she untied a knot that was squeezing my lungs. I went out of the session and suddenly I felt like I could properly breath again. She even used the small little needles, they went all the way from my toe to the back of my head.

The body is a complex system. You can have one problem area located somewhere completely distant from where the actual problems show up.

Once you exhibit a problem like this you realize that you're not immune to symptoms one usually attributes to the elderly.

Take care of your body. Hope some of these tips help ya :)

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

yeah i came two days after the gym...i did deadlift for the first time in over a year ... and my grip was really bad..probably that

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. Madfinger

Apparently it doesn't like high temeratures ... enter Stones Green Ginger Whine. We used to have a nip of it in our beers in the o'l winter surfing days when you felt like you were getting a cold. It raises your body temperature & next day back at it. Pubs used to sell it like that on request over the bar but they bought in responsible serving of alcohol laws so is no more, True story!!!

14. Madfinger

Push your finger in between the bones of the inside of your elbow and feel for a nerve that effects the pinkie. If you hold it there & your fingers go numb it could be what I described??? I'm no doctor but it may help.

Wenander likes this.
  15. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

As said, I was also weightlifting at the time. Proper posture is important, especially when doing deadlifts, squats etc.!!!
    Have someone (a buddy or a trainer) pay attention to your technique at all times

Wenander likes this.
  16. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

Ok, ive been making tea with slices of ginger all week. Hehe.

Whiskey is a good cleanser the insides

Mitchell Pearrow and Madfinger like this.
  17. Madfinger

I limit my weight lifting to 20oz at a time.

18. SkyMonkey

That deadlift could be the culprit!

I had the nerve induction tests too (very weird). They also managed to requisition my latest MRI scans to have a detailed look at what was going on where the nerves emerge from my spine and decided it was the AS inflammation and micro bone spurs.

19. SkyMonkey

Good to see you are getting up to full strength, pint by pint! :drunk:

20. Wenander

Wenander Active Member

Yeah i know.. Technique i have but i think it was my grip.. Index and middle finger kept slipping So pinky and ring took it all, all repetitions