Does anyone know about mods for the Haze?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by PRSCustom24, May 12, 2010.

1. Joska

Joska New Member

in my opinion Marshy did great jobb with this amp, it is like BluesBreaker with modern flawours for me. Not to hard to dial good sounds

2. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Apparently not every Haze owner feels the same way otherwise this thread and others based around this same subject wouldn't exist. As for me, I have no horses in this race. Race on.

3. Joska

Joska New Member

Haha, there is something strange with this brand of amp. Like Harley Davidson bikes, every time new one is lunched forums is stuffed with all kind of criticism. It seems that everyone with Strat from Ali Express haves better solutions than those factory guys in UK. I don`t say amp is perfect, just quiet happy for those classic sounds of Purple, Hendrix, Zepp thing. Especially since i started using Celestions Vintage 30 speakers with it. But i do want some better sounds at OD ch. JTM is very trebly amp(otherwise quiet close to Haze) so maybe that why Marshall wanted more darker sound at Haze? Anybody haves some preamp tube recommends? I have some TAD 7025 at home vill make update after trying them, hope they vill give so great benefit as V 30 speaker did.

4. Joska

Joska New Member

One more thing, this is only of few forums i could find some infos about Haze mods/upgrades and according to Marshall they sold quiet a lott of them worldwide. So, some massiv problem evidence is no sens.

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they had massive issues with the amp, however, whenever someone says they don't like it, or they modified the amp, it was to take out the muddy and dark sounding tone the amp is notorious for.

Joska likes this.
  6. Joska

Joska New Member

Agreed, if i can? Since i own it just for few days and played it just for hour or so(is in my flat and damn loud)? Noticed that dark sound at once and connected amp to 2 x 12 V30 cab, next is to try out tubes. One guy told me that OT is lousy and amp need choke, since i like amp overall i`m considering to invest in Mercury Magnetics OT and choke. Anyone did it here? Any experience with Classic Tone OT & Chokes? I`m asking since CT charges almost half price than MM, however i know well superior sound quality of M Magnetics and no experience at all with Classic Tone ones. Any feedback welcome, please.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  7. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Classictone Transformers have a large following here and many swear by them. Great choice for half the cost of Mercury Magnetics.

Joska likes this.
  8. Joska

Joska New Member

Thank you dude, no one uses them here in Scandinavia. I think i vill make order for those.

Ghostman likes this.
  9. Joska

Joska New Member

Here is some news, placed TAD 7025 premium grade in V1 and much of "harsh" is gone, sound overall is more solid. I find that kind of strange since there been Mesa Boogie 12AX7-A identical to 7025 kind tube?! Made request on choke and OT at Classic Tone and got this recommend for OT swap and choke add. http://www.classictone.net/40-18006.html ,and choke is this:
    http://www.classictone.net/40-18058.html. I´m quiet positive that "all" Haze`s sound issues are right there? Vill give it try for this $ 70 sett while Mercury are asking astronomical $ 240 for same upgrade. Engineer Mark at Magnetic Component Inc. was very helpful with his suggestions.

Ghostman likes this.
  10. Joska

Joska New Member

Placed pair of mached TAD EL34 -SVT Winged C and as excepted Haze is pure nirvana to play, my Fender amp haves vacation. Made order on Classic Tone choke and OT andcan`t wait replacing stock one which is no doub as a bad tooth at amp
    IMG_5314.jpeg IMG_3333.jpeg

11. primed73

primed73 New Member

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but do you know the values of capacitors C33, C60, C68 and C71 that were replaced for this mod? I am assuming they are upgraded values?

Joska likes this.