Do You Think Mick Ralphs Used To,,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by oldmanrockin, Jun 6, 2018.

1. oldmanrockin

oldmanrockin Member

Smoke a joint and think what kind of weird frickin tuning can i use to screw up those kids tryin to play my stuff? He uses standard, drop D, G, C, who knows what else. I never knew all these years Bad Co the song was played in Eb. I always played it in E. I'm thinking he was tuned down a 1/2 step but still. Bet he's still laughin over this crap. His tuning on Can't get enough was either G or C, not sure which, and Paul had to play the main solo live. Roll another one.

2. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Active Member

When I was in high school, we played "Feel Like Makin' Love" in standard tuning. We were high school kids, and didn't know any better. Then, I ignored that song for several decades.

Just recently, I did a half-hour set with the old band at our 40th reunion. In preparation, I relearned FLML. On the second or third listening, I realized, "Holy Shit. That's in dropped D." You can hear the low D plain as day on the final ".... yooooooou" of each chorus. Back in the '70s, we didn't know that your could tune a guitar differently, or how to recognize dropped D.

Then at the reunion, I played it in standard. I wasn't going to mess up the flow of the set by swapping guitars or retuning for one stupid song. Sorry, Mick.

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Bad Co. was discovered & produced by Jimmy Page, who was always using different tunings...

5. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

Paul Rogers also made him tune to keys that he felt more comfortable singing in.

I play alot of their songs in open G

Because they sound like he wrote them in that key , then changed them at Rogers request . I think they sound better .

6. J E H

J E H Active Member

totally cool musician

7. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

keith Richards is another one who uses weird tunings