Do you think in 30 years in the future...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Jan 22, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

30 years from now the guitar will be a relic like a harpsichord or a lute, nobody will care or even play them except us that are still living in our crusty old age. Rock music whats that? Kind of like how you cant really find classical music stations on the radio any more. 50 years from now it will definitely be like this...

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

30 years ago, Fender started doing Japanese imports of their guitars.

Everyone decried them as Japanese/import junk.

Now they are classic...

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

People want to hear good music. Trends come and go and so do fashions but people love music. The stringed instrument market is far from dead, and I see no reason why the guitar will become obsolete, either.

There will always be people who want to play good sounding portable instruments.

The very low average quality and even lower complexity of most popular music today will eventually result in people seeking to return to more complex and interesting musical forms. There will always be those who are NOT dolts who appreciate rap.

It'll come back and the guitar will probably never die.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's good that Gibson crushed those abortions. If someone gave me a Fireturd X and I was a raw beginner and that was my first guitar, I'd soon put it down and take up drums. I played one of those guitars once and frankly it was awful. The neck was OK, so was the action, but the body shape is fugly and doesn't work ergonomically. It wasn't as bad as playing a worn out Yamaha acoustic with strings half an inch above the 12th fret, but it was close!

5. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a shame that the current tax system doesn't give you a write off for donations. I get a ton of free stuff to review and normally donate anything I don't use to veterans and the SPCA. Have to admit I donated a lot less and hoarded the more valuable stuff to donate later since they took the write off away. It's still all going to be donated eventually though.

Was a bit sad to see all those Gibsons completely wasted. Even if you don't like the guitar. That's a heck of a lot of new hardware, pickups and good wood to trash.

El Gringo likes this.
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I had a funny thought like this not to long ago when I thought to myself that rock music will be what Jazz is to us even when we were kids growing up and some of our parents were into Jazz and it was obscure ( no offense Jazz lovers ) to us as kids into the Stones and Zepp and Black Sabbath and all that good music . Like we will be going to coffee shops with hookah pipes and our stuff listening to a blues band or something ! When we are old (er)

pedecamp and Antmax like this.
  7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Exactly , and tremendous waste in the raw materials alone without even getting into the pickups and hardware issue . I can't blame you on the charity donations as the "regime" has taken that incentive away from a lot of us , but yet they can continue to rape and pillage because that segment is creating jobs etc. What a load right ? Where is my tax cut for the middle class . My freaking taxes went up last year and I got considerable less $ back on my refund . I still spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave and rounded up 6 more instruments and another 2555X half stack , and I am still trying to buy more as I am stocking up .Well if truth be told I am in competition with the madam of the manor on space like square feet of space and I want to get rid of her junk/crap and replace it with Lester's , and she certainly knows this as well as I have told her point blank this is exactly what I am doing !

Antmax likes this.
  8. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

A lot of 'vintage' stuff is no more than old. However if you ever get the chance to play a good pre-1960 Les Paul or a good pre CBS Fender - and they're not all fantastic - you will understand what all the fuss is about. OK rarity always increases prices and with Les Pauls in particular the price is now beyond ridiculous but they are different to anything you can buy today. Whether they're umpty-thousand times better despite being umpty-thousand times more expensive is open to debate. Sadly I don't own one so I can't say.