Do you think in 30 years in the future...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

people will look at some guitars from that era and say “those were the days where good guitars were made”
    And stuff we say about the 50s-60s Gibsons and Fenders.

Everything from today will be vintage then

2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

They'll be saying 'what's that old thing for?'

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

<<<< 1990 Custom. Made by a then young company that raised the bar for the industry.

4. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I dont think the guitar will be so much evolved over the years.

The Stratocaster is still the same thing and many other contemporaries.

People will say “fender player telecaster was the shit” these new ones have bad woods

tce63, Peter McAteer and Bull Rock like this.
  5. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Well definitely the species won’t be much more advanced in 30 years . We haven’t learned a damn thing in 100 years hell 200 years . Just sayin.

6. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Maybe. The 20th century saw more technological advancements than all the humanity’s history to be honest.
    But the guitars I mean you can’t add anything else.
    Maybe the amps will get crazier

7. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

Special tone balanced carbon fibre necks and bodies. Tungsten frets. Optical midi controlled pickups, Volume and tone controls. Hydraulic tremolos that drop a whole chord in tune and electronically controlled paint for colour shifts or even displaying video is in the future. No one will look back :)

ibmorjamn likes this.
  8. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Call me old fashioned but I will prefer old good wooden guitars lol

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I dont see much changing with guitars especially Fenders and Gibsons but like anything else, the guitars of today will be considered vintage in 30 years!

10. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Well, way I see it , we here at the MF, are the last of the great post Beatles guitar proliferation .Some of y'all may not believe that you're even a part of that ....you weren't even born. Doesn't matter,their impact was THAT BIG
    We've reached that point in time where The Beatles are becoming no longer relevant........and so goes the relevance / status of the guitar ........I think ;)

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Sadly, we're already witnessing the decline of guitar-driven music in the popular realm.

12. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I don’t think it’s all gloom and doom.
    I think the most bought records in 2019 was of the heavy metal genre but then again people who listen to trash music don’t buy records anyway

13. itsneverloudenough

itsneverloudenough New Member

Well contrary to what some cynics will say the vintage stuff we revere today aren't special because of hype, but because they really were special. Most of the stuff made today just isn't. I vote for the meritocratic outcome. The good stuff will be recognized as such and the bad will stay bad. Just like it happened with today's vintage gear when it first came along.

14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

In 30 years you'll know if it was made well. My oldest hand-built guitar (my own work) is 34 years old this year. The only issue is some shrinking binding that I will replace at some point.

Henry J. of Gibson seemed to think that the guitar needed to be modernized. Well, we know how THAT turned out! And good riddance to those pieces of JUNK!

[​IMG]

Lance Chambers and Kolanti like this.
  15. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I personally don't think vintage gear has value because they are better guitars. I think they have value because of the limited supply. I question whether today's guitars will truly reach "vintage status" from a value standpoint, simply because of the over-production of these guitars.

I suppose the types of wood available in 30 years' time may become sparse, where manufacturers turn to other materials to replace the wood. Then, maybe, the guitars we own today could become sought after pieces. But even so, there are a lot of guitars being made these days, and I think the abundant supply will prevent these guitars from becoming anything more than a nice guitar to play.

16. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Agreed here^^^^^^
    Supply and demand is what drives the vintage market for most products. Not quality is some cases.
    The wood supply issue has already been developing over the past decade. Just look at all the various tonewoods being used for acoustic guitars these days. Most builders 20 years ago offered rosewood, mahogany and maple for their backs and sides. Now there’s everything under the sun. There has been, of course many newfound species that make great tonewoods as well. I’d say any guitar made with Brazilian rosewood will always be valuable, Les Pauls included.

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

All of my guitars will be in different hands.

3D printers may be a thing of the past.

I'll be dead.

18. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

AOC ....and her communist party ...most likey will out law any thing wasteful and extravagant....white men will be in chains or camps for reeducation ..ie NOT helping the enviroment or state comrades priority ONE . Owning guitars reminds people of the old regime and their wasteful ways , burn signs of prosperty , destroy our books , burn our music. Wealth will be frowned upon . People standing in line waiting for bread ....one world goverment . Lucky , I ll be long dead and fortunate to have missed this time linein history. I wish you guys best of luck 2050 and you kids could be living a Mad Max life in 2090

19. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'll be 86 by then, and I still plan to jam then (God willing), so this topic is still relevant from my perspective.

20. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Instead of bulldozing all of those guitars in the photo the idiots should have bulldozed Henry J instead . Also the guitars in the photo here should have been given to public schools with music programs ( in today's age when the first thing that taxpayers slash during budget season is public school arts programs ) and promoted the idea of learning how to play an instrument and learning how to read sheet music ! Geez tremendous waste when there could have been a kid(s) that might have wanted to buy an actual Gibson someday ! Believe it or not the fastest growning part of our demographic here in the US that is learning how to play guitar is females

Antmax and tce63 like this.