Do You Know?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Barfly, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

When I was a fairly new player and for quite a while after that I always knew how I played everything. No problem. Now when I write or play.. especially solos.. I'll do something and I have no idea what the "F" I did. I kind of just feel it.. you know?

A lot of times with chords too. When I write it I'll figure out a few unusual chords that work.. then in a few months I am like WTF is that? In a good way, but it's weird.. getting old I guess..

You guys go through this?

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

That does happen to me sometimes but I have to be on the look out for it as I am always on to the next thing missing what I may have improved at.

3. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Yep, happens to me as well playing along with backing tracks.
    Now I have gotten into the habit of recording when I'm doing this.
    At least there's some chance I can figure it out later if I want to - otherwise, if I'm just strumming along and do something that sounds cool, there's a good chance I won't remember what it was 10 minutes from now let alone the next day.

4. Herbert Mitchell Pearrow

Herbert Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Hell yes all the expletive time Barfly I took yor advice a couple of beers/ weeks ago, and every time I start fooling around, and something pops up(new melodies) I grab the phone and record it! Because I will forget what I have just done, by just going to grab another beer! LOL:cheers:

Barfly likes this.
  5. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Yes....I recall buying a used Akai drum machine with preloaded song track in a loop. There was song/loop based on Cameo’s “Word Up”, and I wanted to jam along with it... with a tape recorder ready, I decided to record with just one take....

The end result was mindblowing..I dont know how I did it, but I was in the zone... No dead notes, no wrong notes, nor poorly executed licks.. I realized how good it was, so I sent a copy of that demo tape to Doug Marks at Metal Method... Doug Marks sent me a letter complimenting my playing...

I still remember how to play the lead solo, but not as good nor cleanly as I did before...

And I still have a copy of that song on a cassette tape somewhere in the rec/home office....

7. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

If its a riff or chord sequence that I think is useable, I video it on the iphone. Sometimes I relisten to it the next day and think “it wasnt that good”, but some turn out to be good, and I wouldnt have retained the exact vibe in my memory so I saved it from going to Hades.

8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

There was a time where, if I heard a piece in my head, I could play it.

Now, since I had 2 bouts with cancer; a stroke; blood clots; diabetes and high blood pressure; I'm unable to do what I did when I was on the top of my game.

Before these ailments, I just did it without really trying.

Ironically, today I'm gigging, as much as, I did when I was 17.

Funny, that the years between 20 and 55, I gigged and did sessions sporadically.

9. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

Hi Aus,

Usually I almost always keep a version of the verse and pre. Choruses are 50-50. Pre choruses sometimes just don't work with what I come up with vocally.. but usually I make it work. I hope you're doing well, Aus. I read about some guy that got bit by a sea snake in your hood. Damn, it's dangerous down under!

10. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Same thing here, I write and record just winging it most of the time, sometimes you feel it's gold and then there are times you come back and are like "wtf was I thinking, that sux!" lol. I will admit to making notes tho of everything as I go (things like chords played, what gear was used, etc) in case I do like what I hear so that I'll have a reference, otherwise, heh, it's just a crap shoot!

11. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

I dont think it made the tv News here, not that I watch the News unless I’m at someones house who has it on.

He was from the UK. If he had been brought up here he would have known that a dragnet may not only have fish in it.

Its not dangeous here. I’ve only nearly been bitten by deadly snakes about ten times. If you can hold your nerve and stay still and let it pass ,there’s no danger.

Back to songwriting. I like to let songs arrive natually. I’ve got a box of tapes that have bits and pieces of originals spanning decades from earliest years writing songs. They might be worth trawling through.

12. Herbert Mitchell Pearrow

Herbert Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I still have some, I can no longer play, and some are just shit canned :cool: