Do JVMs Sound Bad?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by RatDaddy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Really easy to tell if you know what you're listening out for :fingersx:

2. rrguitar1

rrguitar1 Active Member

I read this thread and went to plug into my 205h.

With a strat straight in on 2nd channel amber mode, gain at noon, moderate eq settings, the tone is glorious and on top of that, its tons of fun to play. Within 20 secs, I can set dials and go.

My mesa Mkv35 head that I've owned since june....nothing but a constant wrestling match that I never win.. The mesa is up for sale at the moment.

That aside, the JVM in stock form, is imo a killer amp.

RatDaddy and LPMarshall hack like this.
  3. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

In one band I’m in, I use a 1980 2203 and my other guitarist uses a JVM so I’m fairly familiar with the sounds in a band setting as we have played them both live together for years.
    The JVM is a great sounding amp. It’s definitely has the “Marshall” sound but it is voiced a little different than my 2203.

His is more “modern” in that it’s a tad bit smoother and compressed. A little tighter. His JVM is also more versatile with all of the channels and modes and I will admit that his sounds better at low volume.
    When they get turned up (live), I will admit to liking the sound of the 2203 more. It just has more vintage cut and high end bite that I like better in a band situation. A bit more “organic” and complex if you will. His still sounds excellent so it just boils down to a matter of taste. He can get by with a smaller pedalboard (I can too, as I have for many years but I have three bands going so I choose not to).

It all Depends on what your looking for. My amp is a one (maybe two) trick pony but it performs that trick better than any other amp. It’s iconic for a reason. His amp is excellent as well and is more flexible.

The only thing I will add is that I’ve owned my amp for 25 years and have played a lot of shows with it. Countless gigs, rehearsals, recordings and jams with various bands. It’s been hauled to just about every corner of this state from end to end in all kinds of weather. It even survived a six foot drop into the snow. It’s only been to the shop twice in all that time. Once for tubes and caps and another time for tubes and to replace the input jack with a metal one (I also cut the brite cap).
    My band mate has owned his jvm for about 6 years or so. He bought it for this band. It’s cut out at least twice during shows and has been in the shop at least two other times that I’m aware of. As a result, I always bring a spare amp to gigs, more for him than me. I don’t know if that’s typical for that model but I’m just stating what I observed. Other than that, the JVM is a great sounding marshall with a more modern slant

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    stephs likes this.
  4. ShredMojo

ShredMojo Member

I was in a familiar situation amp searching this summer. Researched dozens of heads. I had the tone I wanted in my head. I didn't look into the JVM range because my experience with them has been "meh" and I didn't now the HJS was a completely different head. Once I stumbled on demos of the HJS I felt like "thats it". Pulled the trigger and have been satisfied ever since.

RatDaddy likes this.
  5. RatDaddy

RatDaddy Active Member

I knew of the Satch model when I got my stock one back in 2014. I wasn't a fan of him at all musically (still not) and thought his amp would be just the same just with his name on it at a higher price. Was I wrong.

I am certainly a fan of him leading Marshall on this one. Joe made this happen. As an added note, I love the hard rubber feeling knobs and the bad-ass high friction pots he put in it. The have 0 wiggle and are a solid as a rock.

6. abkeller1

abkeller1 Member

The JVM's are too modern sounding. They don't sound like the old Marshalls. I don't like them. Some might. So you are correct. I have a JCM 2000 DSL 50 the other guy in my band has a JVM 215c. I doesn't sound anywhere as good.

7. abkeller1

abkeller1 Member

Buy a used JCM 2000 DSL amp. Way better.

8. RatDaddy

RatDaddy Active Member

Damn, I got your 11th and 12th post since 2015! :applause:

:dude:

Here's a clip I did with a Sony handheld recorder. (All I could do at the time.) All-in-all I think it sounds pretty "Marshall". It might not be your tone though since I like a lighter gain setting.

In any case ..to each their own. :metal:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020