Do I Really Need A Compressor?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by mtm105, Mar 20, 2017.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

Back in the '80's there was one (or several) on every pro rack.

today, not so sure.

I have a low budget Rocktron. Seems to do it's job. I've got too much OD, hard to tell.

Thinking of upgrading in the future for a boutique box.

I never play single coils and I read that's where Compressor shines.

2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

Only if you play Country or Jazz. I woudn't use a compressor with distortion/overdrive.

3. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

Then what were the hairbands doing in the '80s??

4. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

VOLUME!!!

That's called natural amp compression.

If you're hell-bent on experimenting with a comp.
    Get one with an 'Attack' or 'Blend' control.

Ivanock likes this.
  5. Vinsanitizer

Gain. JCM 800's and Laneys were everywhere. Gain naturally compresses the tone. When you play a guitar into a clean amp, especially if you have the guitar's volume control on 10, you'll usually get volume spikes as you pick some notes harder than others. That gets annoying. So a compressor "compresses" the spikes to give a more even sound. Compression should be used very subtly, otherwise you'll just squash your sound. You just want to even out the volume spikes. If you hear it get squishy you're using too much. A good compressor shouldn't be heard like an effect. If you use a compressor with much amp gain, you'll lose all your dynamics. Personally, I don't care for compressors at all, but I can see where they can be useful with a really clean amp.

Mosher Zone, tubes and wntbtw like this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Only on non-master volume amps, which the early JCM800's were. I think the 2205 and 2210 were the first Marshalls with master volumes. That's important. Back then you had to crank amps all the way up to get them to distort and compress. Most amps today have master volumes, and so you want a lower wattage amp that you can turn up loud enough to move some air and fill up the cab with sound pressure, but not at 120dB. Volume is always impressive, but volume just for the sake of being loud isn't necessary today, and I think too many people still have that old "crank it to 11" mentality. That'll get you kicked out of a lot of clubs these days.

7. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

Varied on signal chain placement, rig architecture (Stereo, W/D/W), variety of amps/amp tones (Clean, crunch, lead, etc.

I use it in 2 places in the rig; each for a different purpose.

For that super squished 'Another Brick in the Wall' effect, I use a pedal compressor in front of the amp input. I normally only use the pedal compression on clean tones, however, I have used it w/ lead guitar tones w/ a Marshall 6100 EL34 head. The compressor kicks in on the solo

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/69-HellIsForChildren.mp3

The rack compressor is used to vary the attack and threshold of the wet side of the rig, making fx appear more or less pronounced while keeping the output level consistent.

royslead and Gianni like this.
  8. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Well-- sometimes those spikes can be accentuated. Depending on the compressor and what parameters it has available, one can bring out that attack if one wanted to. Or it can be used as a "leveler" as you describe. Sometimes you can use multiple compressors daisy chained to spread the workload too! Compressors are awesome. I don't use them as much on guitars (most of the stuff I record is distorted guitars) but sometimes it helps bring something out, or help tuck something in.

As a mixing (or live) tool, yes, compressors are great. For a guitar pedal? I don't think it is absolutely essential, but it can sure help in some situations.

Vinsanitizer and zachman like this.
  9. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

I personally see them as something much more of use when in the studio and then only used on mixdown/mastering.

10. El Gringo

El Gringo Active Member

Never , I had one way back and got rid of it .You want compression ? Crank a Marshall

11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I have an analog man 3 knob comprossor. It works well but my main use is to tame the spikes going into the mellotron pedal, it's quite sensitve. Nice to have subtle strings swelling in the background doing finger style. The analog man comp has attack control, gotta have that. It can be used subtly easy enough and as a boost. It's based off the ross comp.

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm

12. erer

erer New Member

effectrode pc2a is indispensable for me. always on. i use it as a tube boost with a very slight amount of compression. sounds totally killer!

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Right on Vin. That was the reason for their existence (volume spikes ).
    I do use it to push the pedals that come after it too. I like what it does for my tone.
    BP

14. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Can’t live without it! ;)

[​IMG]

15. Toby Krewbs

Toby Krewbs Member

I use it for Prince/ EW&F/ Rick James etc... stuff during a gig but almost never at home playing for my own amusement.

16. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Friend of mine hates OD pedals, but uses a Boss Compressor instead.
    Sounds amazing, but I tried every which way and couldnt get near his sound.

17. telemarshall

telemarshall Well-Known Member

I've GOT to have a compressor for my Rickenbacker on Byrds, Petty, REM stuff.. In fact, I use two compressors for those tunes - a compressor is essential for this sound..

But otherwise, I don't use them at all with the other axes - for the harder rock stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Mosher Zone, tubes and Gianni like this.
  18. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Active Member

Hey. You guys that love them...WHAT are you using it to do to the sound (e.g enhance attack, enhance sustain, squish dynamic range, etc etc.)? Compressors for mix are complex and can be used numerous different ways so I assume the same applies to pedals at least to a degree (don't know if most pedals have all the controls...attack, release, ratio, threshold, etc.) I have a Line 6 something or other with 99 effects built in, compressor among them. Have not really messed with it.

19. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I use compressors mostly to make a low to medium gain sound feel like liquid high gain under the fingers, while not sounding all saturated, fizzy, and buzzy.

I also have a Dyna-Comp that I 'Ross' modded for that early 80's super squish New Wave type stuff.

SonVolt, Gianni, tubes and 1 other person like this.
  20. telemarshall

telemarshall Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, I just use my comps with my Rickenbacker or Tele, for certain styles - Byrds, Beatles, Petty - for that compressed "jangle" tone.

I don't use a compressor at all for the harder rock stuff. One of the guys I jam with uses his comp with a Tube Screamer and Strat when doing SRV-type blues rock stuff.

tubes and johnfv like this.