Do I need a RW/RP pup in a Dimarzio Area set?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by gypsyblues73, Dec 27, 2019.

1. gypsyblues73

gypsyblues73 New Member

Looking at getting something like maybe a '67 neck, '58 middle, and maybe a Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge. Just wondering if the middle pickup needs to be RW/RP to get that Stratty squawk in position 2 and 4. Or is that even a thing? I saw on another forum where a guy swore up and down that he got a RW/RP stacked pup like an Area, but many more arguing that he was full of it. Who's right?

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the middle pickup needs to be RW/RP to get that Stratty squawk in position 2 and 4.

The phase of the middle (humbucking or stacked) PU can be reversed with a push pull DPDT volume pot, or it can be a separate switch.
    To do this the middle PU will probably have 4 conductor wiring.
    when reversed and connected w/ the bridge or neck PU, it squawks. It will not squawk by itself when reversed phased. Only when connected with another PU.
    The way I wire it: The PUs should be kept in humbucking mode, not single coil. This is just to reduce the noise using a high gain amp.

Speaking of high gain, I would recommend also shield the inside of the guitar.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't think so. These are all noiseless pickups that sound like sc, and RWRP is only done so you don't have 60 hz hum when combined with another true sc pickup. No need.

BanditPanda likes this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^
    Right
    BP

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Strats before '86 did not have RW/RP middle pickups. So they hummed in all switch settings but still quacked in 2&4 (before '76 they all had 3-way switches, so 2&4 were called the "in-between" positions -- you had to carefully balance the switch lever between positions).

The quacky intro to Clapton's "Blues Power" was his Brownie Strat -- 3-way switch and non-RW/RP.

Eric Johnson claims non-RW/RP gives better quack than RW/RP. (Most people say they sound the same except for the lack of noise with RW/RP.)

The quack is caused by the physical location of the pickups. 3 pickup Firebirds have awesome quack, despite having 3 humbuckers. (3 pickup LPs/SGs kind of quack, except having the pickups so close together gives a less pleasing quack). If you were to add a phase switch to the middle pickup as AMS suggested, you get a super thin useless sound.

(If you have a Strat wired to give the neck+bridge combo, throwing one of those out of phase can sound good, but with just one master volume you can't get the full range of OOP tones.)

TLDR: With noiseless pickups, RW/RP isn't a thing.

WellBurnTheSky and wakjob like this.