Do bands use dummy marshall cabinets on stage?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by usablefiber, Nov 2, 2014.

1. usablefiber

usablefiber Active Member

How many cabs is too many for playing live? I saw a band in concert tonight at the starland ballroom in NJ which or a good sized club venue of about 2500 people capacity. They were using jmps but had twelve 4 x 12 cabs on stage. The only cab that was miked was one partially hidden on the side of stage.

Does having that many cabinets on stage really help the sound at a gig? I understand having a backup but I wonder if they are just dummy cabs for show.

2. guitargoalie

guitargoalie Well-Known Member

All show as far as I know. 12 sounds kinda ridiculous lol

Does anyone know if they're actually loaded?

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

It depends...

I got a couple SVT LT ED off of Tim Gaines of Stryper. The cab's were marked something like L-12 (stage left 12) & R-8 (stage right 8), so, he had a bunch of bass cab's. I think there were just as many guitar cab's (Mesa full stacks), for Michael & Oz...

4. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

bands do yes. some use many, some use NONE.... it depends on the band and what they want to put out. there's the sound yes but live playing is actually MORE about the show than the sound. meaning you if you play tight as a band and know your relative frequencies (and hopefuly also treat the sound guy well and he knows his stuff or you have your OWN sound guy) you can sound and look great using line 6's and e-kits etc. I've been in and seen bands that sound amazing with crap gear and terrible setups with top notch boutique rigs.... it's all in the way everything is put to use....and TIMING.....good timing is paramount. but I've even used a false rig once. I had an endorsement deal with a company called Madison and they never sent my heads to me but I borrowed a fubar head from someone (lit up but sounded awful, crakled and cut out) so I set the rig up and behind it set up my carvin mts 3200 because I had no choice at the time. I was under contract but the only rig I had wasn't working. and Malmsteen often uses up to 12 cabs he says but will have 50 or so onstage. he (as well as many players) also only used the bottm cabs so it didn't cut his head off lol.

BlackSG91 and The Ozzk like this.
  5. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

remember though, live performance is very much about the imagery and show. the record is the thing that sells you for shows NOW (it was the other way around in the 80's) so now, the record is to get people to the gig and the show is otherwise same as always. but that's why so many good bands don't always do well. they have fat ugly bastich's like me in the band or you have bands like aerosmith that have a SUPERBLYa carefuly coifed image down to tan lines, how long the nails are.......which earings go with which guitar straps.........it gets nutty as elephant turds when it comes to live playing (which is part of why i'm more interested in recording with people right now. everyone else wants to play live, I want to write and record with people and be creative. i'm not concerned with the rest anymore unless I get offered a great deal. then i'll happily oblige orders to be a dancing money. hell i'll do so with a grin if I get paid an acceptable wage...... but I would also like the fans to get plenty of time at that point too....) but yes.....it's all about what works for the show.

BlackSG91 and tubes like this.
  6. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Some do, Some dont!

Now go and play!

:io:

7. JCM800murderer

JCM800murderer New Member

they probably only use 2 with 2 heads for stereo in smaller gigs, and 4 cabs for bigger gigs. real bands that is.

8. stock_hippie

stock_hippie Well-Known Member

I would..

9. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

yea they use dummy marshall stacks , and play tru a small but powerful mesa boogie combo miked up hidden in the back ground

10. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Active Member

Joe Perry - massive wall of Marshalls, the secret weapon? A 3x10 Bandmaster mic'ed up behind all those Marshalls, although they do get used.

Lenny Kravitz - Massive wall of Fenders on stage, both he and Craig Ross have old Superleads backstage.

Biffy Clyro - most of those amps onstage are empty.

I think we could add to the list and it'll run for days.
    :cheers:

11. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

most are dummy cabs but if the guitarist uses any kind of harmonic feedback/sustain then @ least 1 is active. the mic'd one.

personally,I don't rely on what's behind me. I prefer a side fill from the amp.

12. Roadburn

Roadburn New Member

The bands that I see have multiple rigs on stage as backup (for when the main rig fails). Not so much for show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not just Marshall.... They have walls of Orange as well.
    [​IMG]

BlackSG91, tubes and anitoli like this.
  13. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

the Orange wall of fugly.:lol:

14. jaygl

jaygl New Member

AC/DC and ZZ Top both use empty cabs for show and put the real amps in a quiet box off the stage.....

15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Last time I saw Aerosmith he had a huge mixture of older Marshalls, Fender, boutique, etc with many amps mic'd and pilot lights. I believe he must use different amps for different songs but I wouldn't say any were fake (stained grills etc) and it wasn't a wall of Marshalls. Of course, that was a few years ago, dunno about now.
    Cheers:shred:

16. Quasar-Kid

Quasar-Kid Well-Known Member

Good lord... no kidding
    I think I might rather have Hello Kitty rig behind me than that..!!!

[​IMG]

17. keiffer76

keiffer76 New Member

I bought 2 dummy custom Ashdown cabs from rick savages rig,well built cabs,I cut 4 holes in each and loaded them skanks with V-30s,now they rip! Here's a shot of 1..

Attached Files:

18. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Kerry king recons only the bottom row was makin sound all those years.

the kiss wall didn't sound as big as it seemed. but you could see the speakers at least.

as far as I'm concerned the Zakk Wylde wall was all on in that antique movie theatre venue. ;)
    The mixing desk was put on top of semi circular leather lounge chairs. what the?? lol!
    the venue is complete with roman statues and a night sky ceilling.
    the previous owners went round and broke off all the penis's from the naked statues. ;) LOL! put them in a box and made them disappear.

19. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

If I played a stadium size show, I'd have 4 stacks on stage but only one actually in use. In a really large place you need to be in the monitors for the best sound; an ear monitor is best. I wouldn't want to rely on stage volume to hear myself; I'd be afraid it would be too loud when I was in front and not loud enough if I were running around. Maybe guys who actually play big places can chime in on that.

Rock music is show business and Marshall stacks add to the show.

Ken

Swede likes this.
  20. JCM800murderer

JCM800murderer New Member

all the good bands like slayer, deftones, black label society use at least 1 cab for each head in stereo and add a cab for each head depending on venue size.