dimebag

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by john hammond, Sep 19, 2019.

1. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

these guys are doing a little bit tricky here..

at 1: 10 theyre adding a little tail to the bar ...sort of doing a little shift..if you count out from a few seconds before..youll see its long..they actually do this a few times in this song, these guys are shifters, i never knew..just sayin..

this is nice little shift, what theyre doing is turning the four count into a double time 8..then adding 1...so its four and a half...(but you cant have that see), so they switch to a bar of 9 amid the 8's...subtle and ear-catching

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    bad565ss and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

No idea what you just said but I love pantera despite the singing. Dimebag was a great player.

3. john hammond

haha! yeah but the singer was part of the effect, if wouldnt have worked if they had julie andrews in there

Neil Skene likes this.
  4. john hammond

instead of tapping out 1 .2 .3 .4 1 .2 .3 .4
    halve if out and double the speed of the tapping
    but when it gets to 1:10
    - at precisely 1:10..it counts to 9, instead of ending at 8
    ( if you start counting 1 somewhere around 1:08 1/2 it adds up)

to play in nine maybe in your band, its easier to count 123,12,1234...123.12.1234 etc etc
    what theyve done is

etc etc

5. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

...to each his own.

:lol:

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

but, they're not playing in 9/8.

33/32?

john hammond likes this.
  8. john hammond

i dont think so dogs of doom, i didnt even hear the song through to check for it, i just got curious as my ear heard some shifting at 1:10, and i replayed and counted through it a couple of times, then listened to the song one more time all the way through, i think they only do this maybe four times in the song, i'd have to check properly, doing it just four times ( if it is just that ) is genius..the listener knows theres something' wrong' ( right ) but it isnt repeated again and again like a jackhammer.
    i write music that has these kinks , i write in 6 breaking into 7...6/4 is an oldy but a goldy, 11 is kinky..i love this stuff but to be honest, listening to this has made me realise im overdoing it..the subtlety is so powerful, its like you think theyve all lost time..hehe..but they havent.
    what is interesting here in this song is the speed..its fast to be shifting (for me, for meshuggah this is childs play ) but the effect is stunning.

9. john hammond

i dont know for sure what you mean, but if its what i think it is, i thought the same thing once.
    the thing is, this dimebag is a little different to the usual guys i was always discounting as just noisy garbage players..dimebag has something extra..something special..i first heard the magic of dimebag when listening to a song called ' walk'..the sheer power of the riff..then i started hearing a whole lot of pantera in other songs,a LOT..when i'd go back and look at the dates, it was always dimebag that preceeded them, he is an inventor, and i like inventors.
    look at the amps he used..most of that hard stuff was made on solid state amps ( when he used krank amps i didnt like the tone- too spitty), he couldn't give a toss for whatever anyone else was using, i like that.
    And the stories with the dean guitars, the guy is unique.
    im fairly certain dimebag was a true guitar genius.
    theres clips of the guy sitting in with local bands down at the bar at the height of his fame, now i like that, dimebag was the real deal.
    I like pantera, its another ' brother' band like evh, with the two brothers one on guitar, one on drums, i suspect this is why songs like this little shifter song exist, its the brother vibe.

edit, i used to torture this neighbor i have by playing this album called ' vulgar display of power' by pantera. At first i was shocked by the thing, but after a few rounds ( about 50 in a month) i realised i really like this stuff, and that album too.
    its high energy, good music, and they way they mix riffs within a song is a delight

10. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I read he won his first competition as a player when he was 14 and was eventually banned from competing because he kept winning.

Amadeus91 likes this.
  11. john hammond

hehe yeah i think he was winning those dean guitars as the prize..interestingly, that blue one with the lightning strikes sounds the best one out of the ones he used..smoother..have you seen the clip where he snaps the head off and keeps playing? thereafter i believe he taped it up with gaffe tap ( its a lock nut trem guitar)

and get this, he gave / sold? that blue main bitch guitar to someone early on, and that dude had it painted up with lightning bolts and gave it back to him..hehe i love that shit

rick16v likes this.
  12. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Wish you were here dimebag

13. john hammond

i just did a little count out from 1:10 from that point he is, for at least one round 65/64

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  14. DragonCrestPC

DragonCrestPC Member

Man i miss dimebag.

15. john hammond

haha have you seen the clip where he meets with the telephone repair guy? hahaa and he shocks him in the kitchen with the hand buzzer hahaa he was beyond cool, i miss him too.

16. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

You’re in a metal band. You smoke only the finest. You can shred big time. It’s all good. A dude jumps onstage and murders you. Totally unjustifiable buzz kill. Many rock stars died by their own hands in one way or the other, which is unfortunate. Not dimebag. Tragedy.

17. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Member

He is one of those rare guys, who no one had a bad word to say about him.
    F*ck, I miss him.

18. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

I miss both Dime and Vinnie

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

20. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

sometimes, if you & your band are really tight you can play things in altered times, or moments of 'free time' while still being in sync. Metallica do this all the time, and I bet Tool does this without even knowing it sometimes.

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.