Different enough to justify?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Retropsey, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Retropsey

Retropsey New Member

Hello everyone.

I have a 1987x that i am very happy with. Been really nice so far. Only thing i kinda dont like is the on/off volume on treble channel, and the white noise it produces cause of the high volume. I know there are mods etc, but like to keep it stock. Found a couple of workarounds that works great.
    Anyway. Question for tonight: You guys feel the jtm 45 is different enough from the 1987x to justify to get both? I understand this is totally subjective matter, etc, but would love some opinions here :) Cheers.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

absolutely..have jtm45--jtm50--1987 now 2204...couldn't part with any of em. The 45 is so big & open & not as much gain but just sound fantastic...pedals up real good ..even been boosting a lot lately for such a dif tight full sound. I love the raw sound of 45..strat or LP

3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

A JTM45 is a bit less in your face than a 1987. Early originals are smooth and clean, then crunchy and bluesy and when fully cranked great for classic rock. Hit them with a boost and can do most things, including old metal.
    Newer ones are a bit tighter and may have 5881s. Tweaking them closer to old specs involves KT66s, a NOS mullard in v1 and slightly lower filtering on the screens and pi. If you do that imo they are sufficiently different.

4. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

The part about "the on/off volume on treble channel" seems a bit unusual and points to something not being quite right, as in a faulty V1 tube or............? The "white noise" which I'm guessing is "hiss" can be understandable when cranking the Treble Channel, but may be contributed to by the aforementioned tube? I might suggest that you have your 1987x looked at/serviced before spending the $$$$ on another, different amp! A properly tuned up/functioning 1987 should be an absolutely blissful thing of tonal beauty, through either channel and/or jumpered!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

5. Retropsey

Retropsey New Member

Thanks for input. Yeah its the hissing. It will get instantly loud hiss as soon as i touch the treble channel volume. But at the same time the volume will be also loud, as it is on/off volume more or less on this channel. Thought it was the way it was suppose to work. Im still under warranty, so will get it checked out for sure. btw, V1 thats the pre amp tube furthest right, closest to el34s? Ah just found out v1 was on far left as you look at it from behind..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Agree with what was already mentioned, the 1987x does not have what I'd describe as an on/off volume, it's gradual. Having said that, any non-master amp is going to be loud, so if you're trying to play it at very low volume, it may "seem" as though it has an on/off volume, as it's not designed to work at low volumes. As for the hiss, if you run the Treble high, especially if the Presence is turned up, you will get "hiss". A good noise gate takes care of this. The JTM45 is a fuller sounding amp, with more low end than the 1987x. It also has a different "feel", due to the tube rectifier. I'd say, if you want more gain, and the smoother sound of EL34's, you want a 1987x. If you want more body, a fuller sound, and are not looking for lots of gain, the JTM45 would be a better choice. On a side note, the JTM45 does not have an FX loop (1987x Reissues do).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Kinkless Tetrode likes this.