Different cab for 1959HW?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Ian Lewis, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis New Member

Morning all,

Currently running a 1960TV out of my 1959HW / attenuator. Whilst I've drastically reduced my effects into the front of the head, and I love the LF 'balls' of the TV cab, I get the impression that I could get better definition (bite) by perhaps changing the cab?

Not one for a scooped sound though, so it might be a case of something with good upper mids; particularly when running Gibson Burstbucker Pros out of the Les Paul

Anybody running a 1959HW with some suggestions?

Attached Files:

grainman and junk notes like this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

You'll get loads of suggestions, here is mine.
    -save you pennies and grab a late 60s/early 70s basketweave cab and load it with G12H 30w Celestions with pulsonic cones in good condition, original would be T1281 speakers but T1217 work well too. Second best is G12M 25w either T1511 or T1221, I am fortunate in having the all the above in different cabs (A,B and Orange) and would struggle to sell any of them.

junk notes likes this.
  3. junk notes

junk notes Member

Hello Mr. Lewis. Welcome to marshallforum, we are happy that you are here ;-)
    You have purposed a wonderful question pertaining to Marshall cabinets, Celestion speakers, and the 1959 circuit.
    So much fun putting together a formula that works with the sum of our gear. There are no rules of course, because we are the ones who can break them. Very nice that you are attenuating that cirucuit as well.
    Notice that you are leaning more towards a Pro decision to change the cab instead of swapping speakers. The TV is a taller A cab design, and sounds that you would prefer a B cab, that would possibly make up the "LF 'balls' as you say. To get 'good upper mids' to cut through, just decide on grillcloth/choice of speaker combination, (bass or lead cones). Casters or sitting on the floor. An A cab or your TV cab could possibly still deliver with the bass cones installed. It really is what you would think would work best for your gear and music.

Also, are you trying to make up for "drastically reduced my effects into the front of the head" and want the "LF 'balls' of the TV cab" and "could get better definition (bite)" ?
    -Have you tried jumping Vol I low to Vol II high, or low, as an effect blend??
    IOW, -INPUTS- Vol I high guitar, Vol I low out to effect(s) back to Vol II hi or lo; control input volume blend with Volume II. Adjust pedal controls to compensate and tweak tone to taste so you could possibly add those LF balls and possibly get better definition and keep the bite. GL

4. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

From what you describe try the 1960AV or BV. The marshall/celestion vintage speaker rules.

Or as someone else suggested, try the g12h30 which is what marshall recommends with that head.

5. Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis New Member

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I decided to bite the bullet and go for a 1960AHW, I think the G12H30s address the point raised in the original post - as well as address the point made by EL34. See below... DSC_0047_1.jpg DSC_0046_1.jpg

Thanks again guys - Happy player now.

grainman, crossroadsnyc and buddy7168 like this.
  6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I hope they work out for you. I had a quad of these and they were much brighter/middier than my prerola versions. They needed a lot of breaking in (fabric softener, couple of gigs as bass amp extension cab. ) and they were getting there. You will need to attenuate and tweak the EQ to dial the brightness out.