Difference in sound between EL34, E34L and KT77’s

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Rod, Apr 1, 2020.

?

Favorite tube. EL34, E34L, KT77

1. El34

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. E34L

100.0%
  3. KT77

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rod

Rod Active Member

Just curious of the tonal differences between EL34s, the JJ E34L and the JJ KT77’s... it’s all a bit confusing... I sold all my old Marshall’s years ago because of volume issues with band performances..(bluesrock genre).....unfortunately.. but I have some amazing overdrive pedals from Lovepedal that I’ve been using with my Marshall Origin 50 head run clean that I’ve been using with a Scumback M75 and a Tone Tubby alnico red....but I’m trying to tweak the power section some... any suggestions are welcome

2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

my opinions on EL34 vs KT77 in my engl savage. the only amp I've ever swaped it. the 77s are a little bit rounder and they have a nicer upper frequencies to my ears. nowadays I would have stayed with EL34s because the change was too subtle. changing speakers are way more efficient manner to improve your tone.

Sustainium and Rod like this.
  3. Rod

Rod Active Member

Thank you.. that’s very helpful.. the highs on the Origin can be challenging with the 34’s .. I have a pair of 77’s that I used very little when I had a Haze 40...yuk.. I’ll put them in there.... ...I hear you on the speaker switching...went through many till I tried my Red Tone Tubby alnico hemp cone....amazing speakers...that was the ultimate speaker for this amp. I run it clean and have some amazing Lovepedal overdrivesfor my crunch and lead guitar tones....[/QUOTE]