Difference between Celestion G12M-70 and Vintage 30?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by JCM900MkIII, Jan 6, 2011.

1. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII New Member

I was about to buy a Marshall 1960AV (1960 Vintage) cabinet, because I thought it had Celestion Vintage 30's in it. BUT when I read about the cabinet, it actually has Celestion G12M-70 speakers in it and is rated 280w at 16 ohms. What is the difference between these two speakers?

2. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

basically, nothing.
    theyre just rebranded, regular v30s that for some reason are 70 watts instead of 60 watts. ive heard they have a lower frequency response of 55hz, but i really dont know. ive played them, and they sound good. thats all i really care about. if you want v30s those will be just fine.
    you sound pretty set on your decision on the 1960AV, and theyre great cabs. you wont be disappointed.
    cheers!

3. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII New Member

I want to use a 1960AV on top and my regular 1960B on bottom. I know another guitar player that uses a Marshall 1960B on bottom with an Orange PPC-412 w/Vintage 30's on top and he gets great tone, good cut, and tight bottom-end. He also uses a Soldano SLO-100 and Marshall JCM900 combination, which has alot to do with his tone as well.

4. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Im running G12M70's in both my cabs and I love 'em...good lows....decent highs....mids that knock your dick in the dirt...punch from hell

5. 6StringMoFo

6StringMoFo Well-Known Member

I don't know, this lads Jub sounds great thru a 1960 Cab with 75s

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7DFYYbrio]YouTube - Marshall Jubilee 2555[/ame]

Caption in his description

"Marshall Silver Jubilee 1987 through 1960 Lead Cab with 75 watt speakers. No pedals or mods, plugged straight in. Gibson Les Paul Classic."

b52soundsplexi likes this.
  6. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

not sure. i know my cabs have english made (not the newer Chinese) V30's and they're 140w=2x12 and 280w=4x12. I checked them out to be sure but, yeah they're v30's. the new cabs they have with the new chinese v30's are 120w and 240watt so maybe it's a labeling for the english made v30's? not sure. If that were the case then mine would be some weird "transition" series of speakers though but, it's possible.

7. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

Those are not G12M-70's and they are not rebranded current Vintage 30's. Marshall has exclusive contracts for certain speakers. They will always have decals which indicate Marshall "by Celestion". The Marshall Vintage speakers have different "T" numbers which indicate different design specifications. The Vintage type speaker was modeled after the original G12H 30 watt, hence the "30". You will not see the "30" on a Marshall design...it only appears on the Celestion model.

The Marshall Vintage is a slightly lower (not much) in db level but has a little lower Fs and is rated at 70 watts when compared to the current Celestion Vintage 30. Marshall does not give out the exact specs.

I kinda like the Marshall design a little better.

8. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII New Member

QUOTE: "The Marshall Vintage is a slightly lower (not much) in db level but has a little lower Fs and is rated at 70 watts when compared to the current Celestion Vintage 30."

The current Celestion Vintage 30 shows up in the Classic section on Celestion's webpage. It is only 60w and has a Sensitivity rating of 100dB (1W/1m). I have played through an Orange 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30's and find them to be grating, very predominant high midrange with an ice pick high end. If the Marshall version of the "Vintage 30" is a little darker, smoother, with lower sensitivity and 70w, I would probably like them. My other alternative would be to buy an empty Marshall 1960A cab and load it with Eminence Red Coat Wizards (75w ea with a Sensitivity of 103dB), good tight bottom-end, articulate punchy midrange and smooth highs.
    I wonder if Malcolm in AC/DC is using Celestion Vintage 30's (60w) just like they advertise or does he really use the Marshallestion 70w version? I also read he uses some Marshall 1960B cabs loaded with Celestion G12H-30's as well as cabs loaded with Vintage 30's.

9. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

off topic, but nice carvin cab!

10. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

I can't tell you what Malcom uses.

All Vintage's will have a very efficient and loud upper mid/high range. Marshall's is just a tad bit tamer than Celestion. But they are designed after older speakers which were actually designed after even older speakers...the old AlNiCo speakers. Those vintage speakers are very efficient and very loud producing a very distinct but piercing even higher range. Awesome speakers too.

For less upper range, turn the treble down, EQ it or use some sort of blocker at center cone with those Vintages.

I'm no expert on Eminence sounds. The Wizards will defnitely be loud. One of the guys on this forum knows a good bit about Eminence...Maybe MartyStrat.

11. janarn

janarn Well-Known Member

That was a lot of new information for me.

I thought the Vintage 30 was introduced in 1986,
    had nothing to do with the G12H,
    and was rated 70W in Marshall cabs, and 60W from Celestion. (Doyle)

12. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

Doyle mentions the speakers origin, but he doesn't get into detail. The "Vintage" and the "Vintage 30" are twins, but not identical.

Marshall complained and wanted more authentic sounding vintage speakers. The Vintage speakers were to be modeled after the old AlNiCo's, just as were the old G12 ceramic types. They decided to once again use the "H" magnets because actual AlNiCo was too expensive. So the Vintage type speakers ended up with the "H" magnet, a larger voice coil and a 444 type cone. But Celestion "Vintage 30" speakers are just a little different. Just like most other companies with special request and contracts, Marshall most likely has patents on there special order speakers.

Something else to mention is that Marshall Vintage speakers have never changed. Celestion Vintage 30's have changed at least 2 or maybe three times since inception. You will notice different "T" numbers on different era Celestion Vintage 30's.

Dannyz likes this.
  13. guitar76

guitar76 New Member

So what is the tonal difference bewtween the two speakers?

14. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

Between which two...the Vintages or Vint/g12m-70?

15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

That's a good combination! The 900's ice pick with the Soldono's meat blended for sonic thunder. If I weren't a Marshall guy I'd have a Soldono.

Ken

16. guitar76

guitar76 New Member

v30 vs. v12m-70. I run a DSL50 through a 1960A that has g12m's and it sounds boomy and I can't seem to EQ all of the mud out. It may not be broke in because I think the previous owner of the cab only played an AVT150 head through it and we play small gigs that rarely see the vol over 3. I also though I might complete the stack with a used v30 1960B and find out which cab I prefer for my regular half stack setup. Any thoughts out there on this idea?

17. cagamp1

cagamp1 New Member

There's a big difference. The V30 is 3db louder and has a lower Fs of 75Hz.

Check out this link.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok-cvjfvBBc]YouTube - Celestion Vintage 30 and M-70 comparison.wmv[/ame]

18. guitar76

guitar76 New Member

Just going by that clip I prefer the v30. What do others say about my situation a few posts above?

19. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

That video was the kiss of death for the 70! The V30 is at a different level.

20. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

stilllifer likes this.