Diabetes. F**K.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Okay. So the following thing happened today at my workplace.

I'm currently working at a hotel as a waiter. Started 2 months ago. We have this young fella in the kitchen, let's call him Nik. He's 23, a cook and a bit of an eccentric but goddamn when he prepares food he does it with love. I can easily say he's the best one of the bunch and guests always give me compliments on the food when he's in front of the stove/grill. I devour every meal he makes for me, so does the rest of the staff.

Now I quite like the guy and get along with him, he told me he has diabetes and others have told me that it happened before that he passed out and the ambulance had to be called.

I never thought too much about it, but today suddenly the dish washer guy comes running to me and says we have to call the ambulance cause Nik is about to pass out.

I go downstairs and see him sitting in a chair, completely drenched in sweat, pale, not able to form a single sentence that makes any sense. He was blabbering gibberish. We tried to get him to drink an energy drink to get some sugar in his system but it was kinda pointless. It was scary to see him in this state.

We talk to him in order to keep him awake, paramedics arrive and give him an infusion. They measured his blood sugar and it was way too low, up to the point where he could have easily fallen into a coma. He forgot to eat. He also had asked me to mix him a cocktail before, I did (like many times before) and never spared a second thought.

Anyway, he recovered after 2 minutes when the sugar he got shot straight into his veins kicked in, as a matter of fact he was well up to the point where the paramedics let him go and the other cook drove him home.

Now I never experienced this before. I never have known a person that had diabetes nor have I been in the situation where someone had fallen into hypoglycemia.

First thing I do of course after I get home is read up on the whole topic. Turns out that when the liver is busy processing alcohol and you take insulin to lower your blood sugar you can easily fall into the state of low blood sugar. If you don't eat something extra.

So what have I learned from this experience: next time I notice he looks kinda pale I'm gonna shove a Coca Cola down his throat. And next time he asks me to mix him an Averna sour I'm gonna make sure he eats something. This shit is no joke and it was a scary experience.

Diabetes sucks. I never really thought about it until I experienced it first hand tonight.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

imagine if that happened while driving.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

It sucks. A Good friend of mine had his wife die friday from complications of diabetes. 52 years old. Way too young. Rest in peace Jane.

it is to be taken seriously. Me, like you didn't take this disease as seriously as I should have until last friday. It sucks that it takes something like death to do that.

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

TBH, you shouldn't drink if you have diabetes...

If he insists, make him a virgin drink, or very light on the alcohol...

5. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

Are we talking about type 1 or type 2 diabetes? can you pass out (coma) from type 2?
    my dad has type 2 diabetes and takes a pill for it (metaformo-somthing or other) so can this happen to him randomly?

6. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Metformin? They say it actually increases lifespan in a way unrelated to diabetes.

7. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was ignorant simply because I never knew how it affects people with the sickness. Now after I read up on it I'm sure as hell gonna go light on the drinks he gets.

I dunno which type he has, I'd have to ask him, but apparently the problem is he needs to take meds to lower his blood sugar, when he drinks his liver is processing alcohol instead of releasing sugar into his system, the meds keep on working and your gluccose levels fall and fall and fall... if you don't eat more than usual and check your bloodsugar more frequently you easily spiral into hypoglycemia.

He never told me how it works. But from now as said, if he wants a drink, I'll tell him to eat something. And go check his sugar. Otherwise, bar closed. I like him, he's a good guy. I don't want something like yesterday to happen again.

8. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

That crap does not play, majority of my family has or had it before they passed..My Dad was picked up once driving home from work on the opposite side of the road, but thankfully the cop knew my Dad and knew exactly what was going on..He pushed not eating and bam!

Another time he was working on my deck and he went NUTTS before he collapsed and I grabbed a 32oz cup and filled it with water and sugar and forced him to drink it before his lights went out...Paramedics got there and he was coming back to normal, but they still took him anyway for observation...Yup diabetes is not fun....
    Over time it effects all your major organs when it is juvenile diabetes....

After those hiccups I made him keep gatorade and some form of candy with him @ all times....

Not FUN:mad:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

My grandfather kept a Hershey bar with him at all times. I use to go on tractor rides with him at our farm. Every so often he would stop the tractor, and snap-off a piece of chocolate.

Trident likes this.
  10. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Active Member

My grandmother likewise kept tiny sweets around for when her blood sugar got too low, & had to take insulin injections for life after she became Type I diabetic following a gall bladder surgery in the 1970's. She ended up living well into her nineties. I know everybody's body is different, but if managed correctly, it need not be an immediate death sentence.

For Type II diabetes, I read the supplement Berberine is showing some results similar to Metformin for making the cells more responsive to insulin, as well as intermittent-fasting, exercise, & restriction of refined carbohydrates.

Trident likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Diabetics shouldn't drink

Also, don't just assume a diabetic has LOW blood sugar if they're looking odd and worse for wear... HIGH blood sugar is all kinds of nasty too

12. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I have diabetes type1 , and I use wine gums or sugary drinks, to bring my sugar up when I have a hypo, but get some "hypostop" ,its a gell you could squeeze a little under his tongue, and is what it saz it will stop the hypo

high blood sugars don't render you useless like a low blood sugar moment but high blood sugars are very dangerous long term and slowly destroy your nerve endings over years particulary in the lower legs and feet
    chocolate used to be recommended but not now as anything with fat in will be slower to get into your system,

with type 1 diabetes , your pancreas stops working , they say the body turns on its self, and its the pancreas that's gives off insulin when you eat , that turns food into energy, your body can use , so that's why type 1 injects insulin when they eat

with type 2 diabetes , your pancreas does not just stop working like type1 , but it does not work properly and efficiently and gets worse over time so you have to take tablets -type2 is more a lifestyle thing , where type 1 is genetic

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I have type 2 diabetes.

I take Metformin in the morning after breakfast and repeat after dinner.

I have high blood pressure.

I take Lisinopril for that.

I have blood clots in both my arms and my left leg.

I take xeralto for that.

In Aug., I had a TIA (mini stroke) when I was making a delivery.

I didn't know that I was having a TIA until my wife called me and asked why am I talking so funny.

I made my delivery and went home.

I went to the emergency room and was admitted.

I spent 3 1/2 days in the hospital.

I was released and did 2 gigs the next day and went back to work the next day.

I don't drink.

I was never a big drinker.

Between surviving Stage 3 and Stage 4 colon cancer, I'm pretty much a good boy.

The good die young.

I must be a cockroach.

:rolleyes:

neikeel and Obi Plexi-nobi like this.
  14. slide222

if you have diabetes type 1 or 2 , be careful with medicines as many do actually contain a form of sugar , sucrose, frucrose, glucose,are just a few hidden sugars I can't remember them all , and I have had steroids when I had brain swelling to reduce the swelling , which make your sugars really high , but I had to have steroids as brain swelling gives you fits , but being a diabetic makes everything complicated , and I find I tend to have hypo's at the most inconvient times , just as you go to do something , oh f**k my sugars are low

I know a lot of youngsters who are diabetic type1 generally don't bother too much controlling their sugars , and some young teens just don't really bother too much but they are playing a very dangerous game

when I first became diabetic 20 years ago , I remember saying to the diabetic consultant I've noticed when my sugars are high I feel ok , what would happen if I just let my sugars stay high , and he said " within ten years you will have no legs , be blind , and be on a kidney dialasis machine "
    wow , think about that if you are young and a type 1, but it is impossible to fully control like your body does it for you ,its just a compromise

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

This thread should be called the sugar carb’ munchers club.

No seriously get on a no/low sugar/carb diet.
    Carbs turn into sugar in your body.

Dont rely on your doctor to give you sound advice, he’s got a mortgage to pay and truth isn’t in his materialistic memory arsenal.

There is a very good doctor on YouTube-Dr Berg.

Obi Plexi-nobi likes this.
  16. slide222

and as a type 1 diabetic you will find that sugar is often hidden in many forms in several medicines and makes taking different medicines very hard as several will make your sugars high
    if I am close to passing out tru low sugars , I find I start to see lights as I get really low - its a bit like looking at the sun then looking away .and these lights get bigger until I can't see , but I have never passed out and have always caught it , but when you get like that it is very close , I have had type1 for 20 years and believe me it makes living a normal life very difficult, especially if you get other illness's , diabetes complicates everything
    high blood sugars damage organs , nerve , slowly destroy you, and can leave you with a lot of pain in your legs as they slowly destroy your nerve endings

the biggest issue living with diabetes is if your control is not good (and its bloody nigh on impossible ), then over time you might lose the symptoms of going low and that becomes really difficult, having low sugars and not knowing and going into a coma

17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

ever since the gov takeover of healthcare in 2010, my Dr's have refused to treat my diabetes (type II). My Dr., now, has started giving me 1 pill of glipizide, in the smallest dose available, for about the last year, but my levels have been high still, & I only eat 1 modest meal a day. He just tells me that I eat too much & need to exercise more. I go in for test every month, it's still high, he tells me to skip a meal & exercise more. Even when I do that, it's still high.

Also, my cholesterol is high, & triglycerides.

In my local group on FB, someone was asking about where to get an insulin plant, because the same sort of issue. People all around are saying that their DR's are refusing to treat their diabetes.

So, looking up the insulin plant, I started looking deeper & deeper & ran across Berberine.

I started reading up on it & the more I read, the more I liked what I saw. Reportedly, Berberine helps lower blood glucose, high blood pressure, cholesterol & triglycerides. Wow, sounds like a cure all wonder pill for Metabolic Syndrome, which is what I seem to be suffering. Another benefit, supposedly, is that it helps your gut work healthy & gets rid of internal bloating, that is related to Metabolic Syndrome.

I searched around for some & of course, Amazon has tons of varieties. I always am leery, because not all supplements are equal. I ended up getting a particular one, by toniiq.

Well, as far as my blood sugar, taking 2- 500 mg pills/day (about 2 weeks), has brought my levels to regular. Avg 107 +/-. I just did a lab test (a week ago), but, it's probably too early to test all the other things. Although, I will say this, I do feel better overall & feel like I have more spring in my step, as if the anti-inflammatory thing has me feeling more agile.

My neuropathy seems to be more active though, but, before, it made me less active. I feel like, inspite of the pain, I can walk around & move faster.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of hard data on it, but, on the gov sites, there seems to be more studies going on, now.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25498346

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28822177

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27917872/

comparison w/ Metformin:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839379/

so, it looks promising. My Dr probably won't be happy, that I'm curing my diabetes & other health problems - no thanks to him or the health system, but, I have to do what's best for my own health. Since they refuse to, I have no other choice...

18. Obi Plexi-nobi

Dr. Berg's videos are great information. I liked the Jason Fung interview he did.

Also, I made a 2-column list of 'Inflammatory Foods' & 'Anti-Inflammatory Foods' and stuck it on my refrigerator- Lol. Soda pop is probably one of the worst things a person can drink if one is insulin resistant.

Dogs of Doom and Australian like this.
  19. Obi Plexi-nobi

According to Dr.'s Berg & Fung, they are starting to find many Type II diabetics have 'too much' Insulin, as the body attempts to 'cram in' the sugars into the resistant, starving cells, but when that fails, the hormone Insulin ends up storing the sugars as fat in the form of triglycerides (accelerated lipogenesis).

The three most inflammatory substances in your body are: Sugar, refined Vegetable Oil (fake fats), & 'Excessive Insulin'.

The resulting inflammation irritates the blood vessel linings, & the 'pothole patrol' comes along to patch the damage (cholesterol & calcium), causing atherosclerosis, further cutting off valuable blood, oxygen & nutrients to legs/feet/extremities.

So it's important to reduce inflammation, excess refined carbs/sugar & insulin resistance.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  20. Obi Plexi-nobi

My name is Obi Plexi-nobi.
    I am Carbo-Holic.
    Life without Pizza, pasta/noodles & breads can sometimes be very stressful.
    My doctor told me to read "Wheat Belly' by Dr. William Davis, & 'Grain Brain' by Dr. Perlmutter
    I like the 1970's song, 'Junk Food Junkie'.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.