Detailed G12H 55Hz Comparison: Pulsonic, Scumback, Heritage

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by cooljuk, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

These are all the same type of speaker miced as close as possible in the same position in the same 4x12 cab so I know all speakers sound slightly different.
    It can be and is used to the advantage of the recording engineer. Its not a bad thing.

dptone5 likes this.
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice sound.

3. Neil Skene

Thanks.
    Having the four different sounds gave me the option of choosing a different sound for each guitar part.
    I was surprised how different all my speakers sounded when I did this.

4. Kats

Kats Active Member

I said since the beginning that it should be a faithful representation of the sound of the speaker (if you want to conclude anything beyond that they’re not exactly the same). My suggestion to mic each speaker uniquely was due to the constraints presented. IE, make the best of a difficult situation.

To answer your second question, the distorted sections of the recordings do not sound like speakers (as a whole) to me, they sound like when you put a 57 on the dust caps.

Maybe your using the term “faithful” to describe the method of recording, when I’m using it to describe the results?

Scumback Speakers and tce63 like this.
  5. Neil Skene

They all sound different.
    They shouldn't.

Scumback Speakers and tce63 like this.
  6. Kats

Kats Active Member

I’d be more surprised if they sounded identical. :D

tce63 and Ufoscorpion like this.
  7. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I appreciate the effort spent on this project. But nobody listens to a cranked speaker an inch dead center on the cap, unless they choose to be deaf. And i doubt many mic that way for recording.

It doesn’t seem like a good representation of what the speakers sound like to a human listening in the room.

Instead it’s an example of the frequency response of eaches dust cap, not the complete speaker.

Perhaps I’m wrong here.

Edit: Oops. @Kats just said the same thing.

8. Neil Skene

I think the purpose of the video has been misunderstood.
    It was done correctly for the purpose of showing how close to the original the other two speakers sounded.
    The Celestion was closest.
    Maybe someone can do a comparison now of which speaker sounds the best out of the two.

tce63 likes this.
  9. Kats

Kats Active Member

Again, wrong conclusion. You mean, the Celestion’s dust caps sounded the closest to each other.

Trapland likes this.
  10. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

All great speakers. But what an underwhelming recording. I wish this thread would just disappear from the face of the earth.:shrug:

11. Neil Skene

Which part of the Scumback is going to sound closest then? do they put a little dot on the cone for you to line your mic up with, C'mon man this is becoming stupid.

No matter which part of the speaker is miced and no matter what the input if the speakers are accurate copies they will sound virtually the same, no way around it, this was not a test to find the prettiest sounding speaker, watch the video again. But you know that. You just want the Scumback to be portrayed as the best speaker. you are looking in the wrong place for that answer as you can't/won't understand what the comparison was for.
    But I see you concluded the Celestion sounded closest, If you want a speaker that sounds most like the original buy the Celestion.
    The Scumback isn't going to magically sound the same when it detects a Jimi Hendrix lick man.
    Pooping all over someones thread with this isn't cool anyway and has gone on too long already so I'm out.
    31690_v9_ba.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  12. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Yes, the test shows that but in my experience it was the other way around. I had the Heritage G12H for a while and was getting nowhere close to the sound I was after (Pulsonic G12H) --until I got the Scumback H55. Night and day.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Scumback Speakers likes this.
  13. Kats

Kats Active Member

Neil, your barking up the wrong tree with me. I have never owned or heard Scumbacks in person - I have no horse in this race. (Ps I had made no conclusions either, just using yours to make a point.) I do own Pulsonics and newer Celestions and am well aware of how they compare.

And having mic’d probably a few thousand cabs in my career I can tell you that most engineers (and guitar players themselves) have a favourite speaker for mic’ing on their 4x12s (for eg). This is not even mentioning 4 different Sm57s used here - even there we’ve all had our favourites (or better put, the lesser of the evils) in the locker. Why do you think this is? It’s not as cut and dry as you (and all of us wish btw) make it out to be.

Scumback Speakers likes this.