Detailed G12H 55Hz Comparison: Pulsonic, Scumback, Heritage

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by cooljuk, Sep 7, 2019.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

I put together a pretty deep comparison of these speakers and thought you guys might find it interesting...

Attached Files:

Neil Skene, GIBSON67, mAx___ and 11 others like this.
  2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Interesting indeed. Thanks.

cooljuk likes this.
  3. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Thank you. I couldn’t help but notice the Scumback is virtuallynew and the Heritage is 5 years old.

Personally, my Scumback reconed G12H-55s are closer to my original pulsonic G12Hs than any of the modern Celestion G12H versions, and I have all 3.

tce63 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  4. proxy

proxy Active Member

Thank you for taking time to record this video comparison.
    I am familiar with all of these speakers as I had them once.
    They all sounded average to me and I have no idea how comes these speakers sounded absolutely terrible in this video as I know these speakers are a bit better then this.
    So again thank you for making this great video.

Scumback Speakers, tce63 and cooljuk like this.
  5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Great video! Based on the setup in this video I liked the Heritage Series the best!!

6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Agree with Dawg. Although it sounded like the speakers performed well or not so well dependent on what was being pushed thru them, I heard that over all the better sounding speaker was the Heritage UK.
    BP
    p.s. Respect to cooljuk for taking the time and making the effort to put that together.

MarshallDog and cooljuk like this.
  7. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

Thanks guys. I had fun doing it. I love doing stuff like this in my guitar/pickup work. I just rarely document it, as that makes the process take ten times or more longer. I hadn't seen any G12H 55Hz comparisons out there though, so I thought it would be worth it, in this case.

Yes. ...and the Pulsonic is even a couple years older than me! FWIW, they are all broken in. I paid for the factory break-in with the Scumback but also ran it for about three months before the recordings.

To select the Pulsonic cone speaker used for the test, I first miced up a whole set of them with the intention to choose an average sounding one. They all sounded about the same. I didn't expect that but it's nice and make things simple. I actually did the comparison with two different vintage Pulsonics but they sounded so similar I just didn't use one in the video / charts because it was essentially redundant and would have just been more complicated for no reason.

proxy and MarshallDog like this.
  8. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

Here's the graphs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Can you provide details (pictures too?) of your mic setup?

cooljuk and tce63 like this.
  10. Kats

Kats Member

Something not quite right with the recordings on the heavy parts IMO. Either mic’d right on the dust cap or (and I suspect) something overloading - sounds transistorish. Mic, preamp, converter?

Also note that the Scumback “PVC” has a paper voice coil (as per pre ‘67 spec’d greenbacks) and should supposedly have a mid peak a little higher than the later pulsonics.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Scumback Speakers likes this.
  11. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting this together. Well done sir!!

I really liked the Heritage the best. I thought it was very close to the original, but just had more life. The original was warmer and rounder. I personally did not like the Scumback as much.

Very cool video!!

DP

cooljuk, tce63 and MarshallDog like this.
  12. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Thanks SO MUCH for doing the comparison. Interesting stuff...expecially the response graphs.
    Not a fair comparison, as the Scumback is the paper voice coil version, however.
    To my ears, all three sound quite different. All are fine speakers.
    Keep it coming! :)

Trapland, Scumback Speakers and tce63 like this.
  13. MarshallDog

How can it not be fair, the Scumback is supposed to be the ultimate copy with break in??

Neil Skene and tce63 like this.
  14. Kats

Kats Member

Ultimate copy of “what”, is the point. Scumback also makes a non paper voice coil version which would be more “apples to apples”.

On that note, even the heritage are not really 20watt speakers if you ask me. Try and blow them up - almost impossible. I haven’t been able to, full out with a 100 watt SL LOL.

15. MarshallDog

I thought it’s advertised as a copy of the G12H-30 just higher power?

That’s good to know, I always thought of trying anG12H-30 but didn’t think it would take the power.

tce63 likes this.
  16. Kats

Kats Member

Actually, my mistake - I’m thinking the M magnets (rated a faux 20w). The Heritage H magnet is rated 30 watt (which still means they’re not copying the paper voice coil).

Trapland likes this.
  17. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

Four new SM57's, all close miced dead-center on the dust caps on the same clips/stands, new equal length Mogami/Neutrik mic cables, Tascam US-16x08 pres/converters, Logic Pro 24bit, whatever YouTube does. I know YouTube audio quality and video quality are directly tied to each other so raise the video quality to max for the best audio.

The guitars were plugged right in and the test signals came out of the interface through a Radial Reamp box before hitting the Marshall and were direct into the Fryette PS-2 line-in for tests through it.

Here's a photo I took of the mic'ed cab and test amps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tce63, johnfv and mAx___ like this.
  18. MarshallDog

Looks spot on to me and Rover looks cute too! You did a great job Bro!

tce63 and cooljuk like this.
  19. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

The speaker was selected/recommended directly by Jim at Scumback to me personally. He said this model was his closest/best replica of the sound of the original Pulsonic cone G12H30 55Hz greenbacks. He also recommended the factory break-in. I paid for both out of pocket. No affiliation.

20. cooljuk

cooljuk Active Member

Well, I'm not sure what to say about that. It's all a pretty simple setup and I have been working professionally in the recording/sound/broadcast industry for all of my adult life. I promise nothing at all was clipping along the signal path. I was very careful about that. Levels were set with peaks at about -3dB, for just a little headroom, and I did not even normalize. The peaks were extremely consistent, being either compressed by a Marshall head or, in the case of the Fryette, using test oscillators. The amp is a 1959HW, not an original (modern Mullard/TungSol tubes). Maybe that's what you don't like in the sound? I don't personally think they sound significantly different to originals. Certainly not more so than one original sounds different to another original. The converters/pres are definitely not top of the line but are fine (2019 Tascam) and even greatly improved over much of what was used on pro recordings in the 90's 2000's.

If there was clipping, you'd see it in the graphs, btw.