Decimator II vs G-String for simple setup

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by newfiesig, Feb 23, 2020.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

:funny:

2. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

The issue is not being able to turn it on or off, it's the performance when it's on...

Say you want subtle picking (or power chords, for that matter) when using high gain. If you have the suppressor turned high enough to eliminate the noise it won't pick up the lighter playing.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

I find the deci-mate to be a bit annoying. When I crank it I can settle down the squeal from running my fingers up and down the strings, but as the gate is open when I'm playing you can still hear the strings.

Can the Sentry cut the string noise altogether?

4. SkyMonkey

The TonePrint allows you to gate at 3 different frequency ranges. Beyond that I am not sure. Reviews always seem to concentrate on the 2 presets (easier to review) rather than an in-depth look at programming the TonePrint.
    The review vid in post #2 certainly hints at that, where he shows the sound from moving fingers along the string is eliminated. Skip to 8:20.
    One of the presets is dedicated just to high pitched preamp hiss too.
    I think all 3 switch settings are programmable via the TonePrint software, so lots of dicking about at first maybe, but set and forget after that.
    But as I have said, I don't own one, just really wish I did, instead of the Boss NS-2 I got very cheap 2nd hand.

5. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

The point I was making was that if you are playing very quietly, you could turn it off momentarily?

I think you might be asking the impossible (although that Tone Sentry thing that Sky Monkey has mentioned does appear to offer a lot of control?)

I am wondering what you want a noise-gate to do? As I have said elsewhere people seem to want two slightly different things from them:

1) To completely eliminate hum, hiss and interference during moments when you are not playing

2) To prevent squealling feedback as soon as playing stops when playing very loud or at high gain.

Most gates perform both functions, but they generally work by actuating an electronic switch (or "Gate") when the input signal drops below a certain level. So expecting them to allow very quiet gentle playing though (say with the guitar volume turned almost off) AND kill all possible noise is perhaps a little unrealistic?

What noise are you trying to kill? I have found from experience that if you have a LOT of noise (say a loud hum due to a ground-loop) - then this will tend to keep the gate open, even at high settings....

As for string-handling noise - I can't remember my Decimator (the way i have it set) killing the noise my hands make on the string (I would have to test to find out) - but I am not sure I would want it to? The main reason I use one is to kill squeals when using my JVM on the OD channels.....

rick16v likes this.
  6. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

Pretty much looking to dampen the loud shriek of running fingers across the strings; my JVM is surprisingly quiet so while less unwanted noise is always better, that's not really bothering me.

Maybe coated strings will help... I'll have to look into that.

7. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

(Unwanted) tone is in the hands.

8. SkyMonkey

Well, a TC Sentry has just landed 2nd hand at my LGS and I am hovering over the buy button.
    I thought I would have a quick scour of the web first to see if there are any reported problems with it.

General consensus is to run it (or any noise gate) in front of the preamp and not in the loop as I have been doing (sort of).
    My Boss NS-2 has been sat between my Metal Zone MT-2 and the FX return, which sounded like the logical place to me.
    Cut any noise intrinsic to the pedal/preamp too?
    But when I turned it on I was getting a seriously worrying drop in volume, but not necessarily in tone.
    I figured I had a bit of a duff NS-2, but it still worked.
    So I just compensated with the MT-2 level and left the NS-2 on all the time.

I just tried the NS-2 before the MT-2 and the volume drop has gone!
    Now am I just a dumb ass or does anyone else out there run their noise gate after their amps preamp, or a pedal that is a preamp in itself?

I do find this strange for the TC Sentry because there is a setting on the selector switch called HISS, and I would have thought that would be specifically for placement after a noisy preamp!

So anyway, it turns out the NS-2 isn't faulty. Which is good as I can now P/X it against the Sentry.
    Buy button has been hit. I collect at the weekend.

I am hoping that because it is mode switchable, I can use it in front of the whole signal chain with different gate settings for clean, crunch and distorted tones.
    Will post a review when I get my head around it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  9. SkyMonkey

Went early to try the 2nd hand Sentry out, and ended up walking away!
    It was somewhat more battered than you could see in the web pics.
    With the extra controls it is a mite more difficult to set up, even without delving into the TonePrint software.
    (Though I'm sure it can be done with a little time and my own rig to play with.)
    But the clincher was that at one point it cut out for a second, then came back on.
    I couldn't trust it after that.
    :shrug:
    So I think I still want one, but will hold out for a sale somewhere, and get it new, with the warranty and a returns policy.

10. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

The Boss NS-2 has zero value next to any of the ISP products IMO. Listed mine for sale 20 seconds after hooking up my Decimator.

11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Decimator II here also. I am using it after dirt pedals in loop patches. I don't have any big issues with noise for clean so not used there. Should have picked one up long ago. I don't notice any loss.

[​IMG]

SkyMonkey and rick16v like this.