Deciding which JCM800 kit...or source parts myself

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by dinkyguitar, Feb 4, 2020.

1. dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar Active Member

I've been thinking about building a jcm800, but I'm not sure if I should go for a kit...and which one.

I'd like to get the same parts are Marshall uses and I've seen Mojo, Triode, TubeDepot, StewMac but don't know which come close.

I think StewMac has the best instructions for someone like me who has never built an amp.

I do have an electronics back ground as I have built a lot of smaller circuits in my days...but i figured since I'm turning 50 soon, I'd like to do something I can remember....

I almost went for a slo clone last year but I guess it wasn't meant to be and a few months ago I got an EVH 5150 III 100 watt, and then a Peavey 5150 which I like better...maybe it's the mojo, but it surprises me when I play it...

My first "real" amp was a Marshall DSL50 head so I figure I'd go back to my roots....

If I were to get the parts myself, I'd need help getting the period correct ones.

dinky

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the kits don't have all the greatest parts which is a drag and now I gotta order from 11 different places and pay 11 shipping charges.
    It largely depends on how dedicated you are to doing it with good parts I guess.
    Cheap parts inferior parts are everywhere and plentiful. To get good parts you gotta dig.

Guitar-Rocker likes this.
  3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

My last 2204 build I sourced all the parts on eBay . Used the the Hoffman lay out . Get all wire lay outs and data sheets online all you need . The kits use cheap pots and jacks

4. dinkyguitar

I mean how much "quality" parts did Marshall actually use?

If you use parts that have tighter tolerances, and mil spec components, than it won't sound anything like a jcm800....is my assumption correct?

I want to build something that sounds like a jcm800...obviously, I can't get the "exact" parts...but I can get close right?

5. South Park

You can buy the cheap parts or the good stuff . It is still going be a Marshall clone . You can’t get the original Marshall parts for those amps . You can buy replacement parts and build one and call it Marshall clone

6. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I sourced pots, jacks, small parts. I used a triode turrett board/ triode layout , classictone transformers and choke. Mojo chassis and plates. Not ashamed to say Its a monster.

Cadorman likes this.
  7. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

mouser or antique electronic supply for the components. as long as you have the proper voltage and wattage handling that's what matters. metal oxide or cement resistors on the power supply, film for everything else. i stock up on various values of the 600v film caps and electro caps from aes. if you decide to shop at mouser make sure you know what you're getting

8. dinkyguitar

Some questions..

Where can I find a turret board template? Something I can lay on top of my turret board and mark where all the holes go?

Also, I'm not familiar with what "type" of resistors to get. I downloaded the stewmac assembly guide and it gives me an idea which kind to use and where.

and, POTS....which are better? I'm familiar with CTS, Alpha, Clarostat RV4 mil spec etc.

Basically I'm in need of which brands to get.

plus which layout..Ceriatone? Triode? Stewmac? Mojo? not sure which is accurate

dinky

9. thetragichero

i follow schematics and do point to point so i can't help with layout
    any quality pots should be fine. many go for cts brand i prefer bourns's line. alpha is fine. whatever you can source
    high wattage (2w+) resistors metal oxide or cement. metal film or carbon film for the others. i usually use 1 watt resistors even when they're not required because they're physically larger. if you look at the schematic they'll usually say "all resistors 1/2 watt unless otherwise mentioned"

10. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

I would take this approach...

Answer these question (And it can be many the answers... but to different degree.

Why do I want to build my own amp?
    1.) I like to learn about amp building
    2.) I like to get a cheap amp
    3.) I like the original but I want it with a tweak
    4.) I want to to have it build with top quality parts in a boutique kind of way...

If No 1 gets a high score then start with a one of the standard kits. Your first build won't be perfect but you will learn a lot.

It No 2 is important get the cheapest kit

No 3 is of importans get a standard kit and work with it over time, replacing parts and components while taking it. You will probably end up spending more money than on a original finished amp

No 4 First you learn some amping by building a few of the cheapest amp kits you can find. When you feel comfortable you start sourcing the components of choice. and a few amps and years from now you build your treasure... :)

plexi

GIBSON67 likes this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You can go over to Hoffman amplification, there is a board design tool or a premade board that you can use. There is turrets and fiberglass board, etc.
    I downloaded the board design creator, it's cool.

12. South Park

I used clarostat pots on my 2204 great quality audio parts

13. thetragichero

while Marshall schematics are annoying to read, if you can find an easy one to follow building from schematic instead of somebody else's layout is the way to go if you wish to know how your amp works. i can't trace a layout nearly as easily as a schematic. then if you wanted to do some sort of mods, you can visualize what they're doing in the circuit. I'm also a a fiddler so maybe close enough to stock is good for you. personal prefer James tone stack with a mid control to the Marshall tmb so I'll usually completely redo the tone stack

14. dinkyguitar

so which layout/schematics should I use?

15. thetragichero

16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Personally I would get full list and parts from Valvestorm.
    Transformer will dépend on budget. I believe Classic tone are good bang for your buck.

herbvis likes this.
  17. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

I agree with Neikeel. Valvestorm is going to get you closer to a true Marshall than any kit

herbvis likes this.
  18. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

None of them are accurate, Marshall used PCB when they made the 800’s. Look at the Valvestorm site for parts, they offer a few choices on various components. I’ve built 2 800 clones and they both sound very similar to my real 800’s. I used Classictone transformers in my Valvestorm build and I put a Merren output transformer in my Mojotone build.

Marshall board
    F14DF833-1620-4156-A5A2-DA36D98A5B07.jpeg

Valvestorm board
    B41C6CF6-9C10-445C-B4C2-219914071C25.jpeg

19. dinkyguitar

Chris-in-LA,

How much did you spend on the builds if you don't mind me asking?

I've been looking at a JCM800 for $1000 and I think it's a good deal....but I'd like to sell my EVH 5150 III 100watt first...or......I've been thinking if someone has a JCM800 to trade with them...

dinky,

20. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member Premium Member

Granger Amps makes a nice looking PC board for the 800 if anyone wanted to get as close as possible. Personally, I sourced everything myself as there was always a couple things I didn't like in any of the kits I looked at. I don't think you are looking at much difference in price either way.