David Bray amps

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Matthews Guitars, Nov 19, 2019.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Yeah Bray!
    His stuff is good and it leads to an end.
    Are there effects loops in there? What, no? Man that sure sucks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

3. Mick10

Mick10 Member

Hi Buzzard, sorry I'm just seeing this now, I didn't get a notification that you asked me a question.
    Yes it is a 4550. David is great to work with, he asks a lot of questions in order to design something the customer wants exactly. If you've seen/heard his videos you know he can create a monster amp that really roars if you want it to (I do) but also very flexible with great clean tones. I had him put in a MV in the back and it has a foot switch so I can jump from rhythm to lead if I want, just to add some versatility.

I think Bray has nailed Eddie's tone, that was one thing I really wanted with this amp. But it is multi-dimensional, not just a one trick pony.

The cab was built by Jim at Scumback of course, it's a beauty (hi Jim).

The guitar is a 57 Junior, I wish I could clone the neck on that thing, it's perfect for a player with big hands. It has not been played a lot, really in great condition with just some slight wear and all original parts (except the tuner tips). Pairs up great with the amp/cab.

Scumback Speakers and J Saw like this.
  4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. It’s all good. How is the feel of the amp spongy, sag, tight. Etc. ?

5. Mick10

Mick10 Member

I would say there's a comfortable amount of sag; still pretty tight under sharp pick attack. I have the tube rectifier in this thing, which I think warms it up.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

Hey Mick10! I thought that cab looked like one of my replica cabs. When I had my 59 LP replica made, I had my real 59 LP Junior neck cloned using a digital caliper to get it right. Those old 50's Junior necks are the shit!

And yeah, the Bray amps have a lot of tones in them, Plexi to VH and beyond. His new Gangster mode on the Coco 50 is just sick, love it.

Mick10 likes this.
  7. Mick10

Mick10 Member

hi Jim. That's a great idea. Where did you go to get the neck scoped out so you could duplicate it? I'd like to do that.

8. Scumback Speakers

My old luthier had a digital caliper. You take measurements at the nut, 5th, 9th, 12th and 16th fret from side to side, back to front, and measure the curve for the shoulders and the heel. With all of that you should get pretty close. Or you can buy a digital caliper and do it yourself. Takes the guesswork out of duplicating the neck feel, action, etc.

Mick10 likes this.
  9. Mick10

Mick10 Member

I have a digital caliper I'll have to dig out. Thanks

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  10. Scumback Speakers

You're welcome.