Damn, I seriously love my DSL100HR........damn

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Inglis, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

Very well put brother lol

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  2. Michael Inglis

Also id like to add to this post but not as an edit as its already way to long lol. But Marshall has finally solved the glitchy effect loop/footswitch issues that cause footswitch for the effects loop to not work sometimes. It also causes there to be a longer pause inbetween channel switching after the amp warms up. This might be old news but a quick service and firmware update (theres also a new/replacement part involved that ill post once i have mine updated as well). This mostly effected the earliest DSL40CR and DSL100HR's from what i understand. But i cant be happier to know the one thing about this amp that isnt perfect is going to be fixed. This might be old news but since i got my amp so early after release nobody knew what to do about the problem and i kinda ignored it but after looking it up today and reading a really long thread about it i found that Marshall has finally figured it out.

Mitchell Pearrow, Jon C and CraigP like this.
  3. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Well I hope you're happy...just ordered a new 100HR this morning...y'all killing me LOL

4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I would love a link to that “Long Thread” about the repair !!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Michael Inglis

Gladly, the gem about how the two guys finally got theirs fixed is near the end....
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/it-sucks-to-be-right-dsl40cr.102814/page-9#post-1846960

Let me just quote a few key points...

1. So, as described earlier, my amp had a problem while using the 6-button footswitch (91016). However, I checked it out a little better, and it also has that FX loop issue. Also the indicator light, for the FX on/off switch, is non-functional.

Called Marshall USA, and the rep said he has heard of this problem, and that "some of those early build-date models" (mine is 12-17) need a firmware update on one of the circuit boards. So the amp is in the shop now. The Marshall guy also told me the exact name of said circuit board, and I remembered it long enough to tell the tech at the service center, but now I forgot! "Old-timer's"! :wallbash: I think it was, "DRB", or something like that. Sound familiar?

Anyway, can't wait to get it back!

6. Michael Inglis

And heres another....

So got the amp back fx loop problem is history. they replaced a chip/board. Missed that sound on 20 watts. Hopefully it doesn't develop any other issues.

new pcb part M-DFXX-91001 replaces part DFX-60-00-U6.

They also found a defective C32 capacitor. Not sure what this is anyone know?

7. ssolo8

ssolo8 Member

I feel you, Brother!! I just got mine, as now they can handle down to 4 ohm cabs, I couldnt make this thing sound bad if I tried!! All four gain stages are distinct and smooth. My Mainline is Green Channel w gain at 11 o clock. I'm done shopping around ((9 heads and counting) Now I just need to start pile these up!
    Glad to have run into you here. to share in this Joy!

8. ssolo8

ssolo8 Member

Fear not! With this amp you can conquer the World! No excuses. Onward to Glory.

9. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

Since I like my DSL40CR so much, I'm gassing for this head. The trick for me was to crank both masters and use the channel volume to taste. Sounds so much better. You really can't beat these amps for a variety of tones, fx loop, great footswitches, good price, and the ease of biasing. I've sorta got past the whole Vietnam thing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Running mine using the 7 cable method with an FX8 into DSL100HR and DSL40C.....rattles the walls with just a little push. Sounds spectacular.

11. MarshallGuySC

MarshallGuySC Member

12. Scott Danner

Scott Danner New Member

Greetings! I have to agree about the DSL 40C, I just got mine back from being repaired/upgraded by Sweetwater music supply. The switch that activates the Lead 2 channel went bad, but it was still under warranty, so that much was covered. While it was there I had them put in a matched set of Mullard power tubes and set the bias, and I asked them specifically to set it for that chunky rock n roll tone....think AC/DC. I also had them replace the stock 70/80 speaker with a H12 V-type speaker. Wow, what a monster that thing is now! The combination of those things made that amp everything I was looking for when I originally purchased it. I did not have to do the C-19 mod. and I got rid of the fizzy, buzzy thing that the amp is known to produce when it comes off the line stock. Now it has a bottom end on it and it truly has the "Marshall Roar" that the amps have come to be known for. I couldn't be happier with the results. I had them send me back the 70/80 that they pulled out of it and I'm going to build an extension cabinet and throw that baby in it. I've heard good things about how it pairs with speakers that have more bottom. As you Marshall users know, they are really made to push air anyway, so I don't think I can go wrong with an ext. cab. It's already got that chunky thump and adding a cab should make it a real killer. This is the first Marshall I've ever owned, having been a Fender/Mesa Boogie guy most of my life. There was always something missing from my sound and now I know what it was.......A Marshall! After over 30 years of playing guitar, I come to find out that I'm a Marshall guy. If only I had gotten my hands on one of these babies when I was young. I have only played it once since I got it back, for about five and a half hours today. I have never been so inspired by a session. It did everything I wanted and more. Sorry to gush, but like I said, it's my first Marshall. I'll let you know how it goes with the ext. cab. Rock on! :jam:

Michael Roe and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    :welcome: To the forum of Marshall
    New brother!
    Cheers to ya finally getting on the Marshall tone front!
    Cheers Mitch

14. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

Awesome! Looking forward to your report!

CraigP and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. George Marshall

George Marshall New Member

Yesterday I picked up a used 100HR real reasonable and all I can say is WOW! I kept reading such good reviews on the HR I decided to buy one that has been on CL for the past month. GLAD I did!! I'm in the ditto club here!!

CraigP and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Congratulations on your purchase bro, and Welcome to the forum, cool avatar photo, haven’t seen a Maico Jersey in a long time

tce63 and George Marshall like this.
  17. fek

fek New Member

First post! I bought a 100HR in February of 2018. Love it.

After 4 months and plenty of hours on it, the loop cutting out randomly issue started to happen. Shop fixed it under warranty about 5 months ago and all has been well since.

I go back and forth between running the channel volume up over 3:00 and using the master for overall level and vice versa. My findings have been that as long as at least one of the volumes is up to around at least 2:00 or higher, the thickness and grunt I want is there.

Will play around with it again this weekend but I have had the channel volume at about 2:30 and then bring the master up to the required level.
    amp wall.jpg

18. Mitchell Pearrow

:welcome: :cheers:
    To the forum new bro, great to see your amp is still running as expected, and that you have managed to dial in your tones!
    Keep up the good work, and congratulations on your purchase!
    Cheers Mitch