Crybaby mod love

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by rmlevasseur, Oct 25, 2013.

1. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

I have an early 90s crybaby wah that's been gathering dust. Performed surgery last night and ripped out the buffer section, added a new linear taper pot and added true bypass. MAN, what a game changer! She's back on the board after all these years and i doubt the vox reissue will be back again.

Highly suggest these mods if you have one of these. I used the "black bear" pot. Spectacular. The wah is now so lively and usable anywhere in the throw.

JohnnyN and iron broadsword like this.
  2. Phildog

Phildog Active Member

You DO now that you can also wire in another inductor, like the Red Fasel, and install a selector switch so that you can switch back and forth between inductors. Also, consider the sweep cap value and experiment with other values. I did that with 4 caps and liked them all. So I installed all four of them on a 4-selectr switch. Kick-ass!!!

iron broadsword likes this.
  3. rmlevasseur

Accessing multiple inducters would be cool, but ripping out that buffer section is what impressed me the most.

4. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

GREAT move! When you get a good wah your playing can also improve.

Once I listened closely to the VOX chrome wah pedal I wasn't impressed anymore.
    The early 90's crybaby should have good components.
    Mine has the 'raised lettering' that says crybaby. the last model i saw, the inside components were tiny. The name plate had 'flat writing' crybaby name plate.

the red dunlop Roto vibe changes the signal too. I'm not sure what to do with that pedal.

5. rmlevasseur

The Vox Clyde Mccoy reissue is a nice wah in some respects. It adds a more nasal tone that works for some things. What i didnt like about it is that the top and bottom of the throw are basically unusable tones. Either mud or chalkboard grating top end. I may have to try a new pot in her next.

6. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Member

I fixed mine last year.
    Made the true bypass and LED mod, the vocal and sweep mod on my revision E (early 90's), and replaced the old scratchy pot with an Icar.
    After having it for 20 years +, I finally started to use it a little :D

7. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Well-Known Member

I picked up another Wah for exactly this purpose, it's something wanted to do for years. I plan on doing true bypass with led, change the fasel, add a trim pot for the Q & give it a kick ass paint job.
    Phildog, how do you wire in the 2 fasels? Might be cool to have a red & yellow one to switch between. Do have pics of yours you could post up?

8. rmlevasseur

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. Mosher Zone

I've already got that page saved among others but thanks anyway. :D

10. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with most modern wahs besides the buffer is the high gain transistors try to find some BC109B's you will be much happier, also try to find a Halo inductor, look on ebay for the Whipple that is the cheapest of the Halo copies, also try to find an ICAR taper 100K pot and wire it for true bypass. The mid 90'a Vox V847 wah is the most mod friendly and it already has good metal 1/4" jacks separate from the board ;)

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Force235

Force235 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have two older Crybaby's, I've been using it lately and I'm not impressed like I was when I bought it back in 81', maybe this mod will work for me.

12. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

That is great!:yesway: I'm just checking my wah-wah pedal right now and I have a Crybaby Model GCB-95 like indicated on the link in post #8. Actually my wah sounds really good the way it is and I've been using lately the past few years. I'm able to get some real nice and usable tones out of it. I'm a bit excited now about this particular mod. So it actually makes that much of a difference?:hmm::scratch::hbang:

13. rmlevasseur

I sure think it does, but hey if you like it the way it is now i'd approach with caution. I keep all my pedals in a looper and tend to use as short of cables as i can, so i really didnt need or like that buffer.

14. chee16

chee16 Active Member

I did the true bypass, voicing and volume resistors mods a while back and I really like the sound of my wah now. Completely different, and if I have been thinking I would have been smart and used small pots so I could try different settings. Oh well, I like the result.

My only complaint is that I can't really use the full range of the pot. I only really like the sound of the middle 1/3. How did your pot change that?

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. rmlevasseur

This is why i moved away from the Vox, the upper range just too shrill and the low range too muddy. IMO the crybaby was already better than the Vox in that department, which was why i sought out the crybaby again. I do like this new pot even better. I feel like i can put the wah all the way down and not crack the windows.

16. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I might give that mod a try. By the sounds of it, you can't go wrong. I have a few distortion pedals and the wah pedal sounds real good thru the BOSS DS-1 which I modified sometime back by clipping a couple of diodes and now that pedal is much more usable. I don't like using too many pedals at once and I like keeping it simple with maybe 2-3 pedals max. I think I'll definitely give that mod a chance...I just have to order the components and I'm good to go.;)

17. Mosher Zone

BlackSG91 likes this.
  18. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

I just got a second JH1 wah pedal, and it was very different inside and the straight through sound was totally different and the pedal travel was smaller and the wah sound was different too.

What sort of tricks are they doing? a JH1 is supposed to be a JH1. why don't they say its a JH1 b or something.....?