Crunchy Strat tone

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by RiverRatt, Oct 26, 2013.

1. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I've started wiring my strats with the tone controls on the bridge and neck pickups and IMO it makes the bridge pickup so much more usable. Since my hand is still f'ed up, I hit the switch on almost every chord and end up in the bridge position anyway, so that's a plus. I've been using my Dyna Comp to hit the front end harder but yesterday I lucked into a MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. and it was the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm getting thick, humbucker tones with a Texas Special bridge pickup. I was using a homemade Electra Boost and SHO clone but the MXR is really doing the job.

2. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I've got the Custom Badass OD also. It sounds fantastic with single coils. I still prefer my TS9 for my Les Paul but my Tele loves the MXR.

3. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

My stock Strats are wired liked that, with one control for the bridge and tone. On most of my other Strats, I have the middle pickup not connected to the tone control. It opens that pickup up, and gives the best quack that way I find. On one of my Strats it has a Seymour Duncan STK S-6 as a bridge pickup. That SD has a pretty compressed sound, so I took the tone control off and it sounds better.

4. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

My strat is wired for neck/middle on one pot and bridge on the other tone control. I way prefer tone control on the bridge. One of the very few things Leo missed on his early efforts.

5. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I like leaving the middle pickup without any tone control at all. Like poeman said, you get more quack in position 2 & 4 - something you can't to with two pickups sharing a tone control.

6. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

sounds good!
    Leo was thinking that the sound was suppose to be clean and clear.
    It performs that task really well.
    when you roll the tone pot with a clean sound there is no real difference to the other pickups sound with their tone adjusting.
    Leo would say, in response to your statement, "why would you want a thin fuzzy sound? you are going to get a bigger fuzzy sound from the other two pickup locations".

Now you have this 'marshall sound', you are changing the original intent of the design. Leo couldn't have forseen this 'distortion theory perspective' applied to his design.

So you have bought the 'traditional' strat and fender is happy to make them that way because that sound is unique to their product. They have all sounds covered. (except for multiple sounds from one pickup)

The badass is a great pedal, made for todays players with older amp designs.

7. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I'm not adverse to running tone controls wide open but I often will roll back to 7-8. I would maybe miss having the middle on a control. I really don't use the in between positions too much though.