Crunch On Classic Gain Channel Of Dsl 15c?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MikeD675, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MikeD675

MikeD675 New Member

Hello,

Just got the DSL 15C and was experimenting with tones on the classic gain (green channel). Clean tones are fine, but when I turn the gain to 10 and volume around 6 I don't get any crunch at all on this channel. Is this normal? Demos I have seen online seem to get much more crunch on this channel at higher gain settings. The ultra-gain channel seems to behave as expected. I am playing a LP Studio.

Any tips/advice are appreciated.

2. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats kinda how mine is to, i done get any kind of "classic gain" to me its just a clean channel and the "ultra" channel is just a regular OD channel.

3. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Do you have a Yamaha THR1O as well? If so, I can recommend it as a boost pedal, headphone out to the DSL, Brit Hi setting works for me :)

4. MikeD675

MikeD675 New Member

No I don't just the DSL.

5. MikeD675

MikeD675 New Member

Yeah that has been my impression too. It's just with the demos I have been seeing online, they seem to get much more crunch out of the clean channel, strange.

6. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Maybe they have their modded, i know i modded my "ultra" channel to take back some of the gain so it sounds a little more vintage and it helped alot.

I did the eggz mod where you clip a few parts and put a resistor in where one was missing and it sort of changed its voicing or something as well.

7. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I had the 15H and it would crunch very well on the clean channel.. They key was MAX gain and MAX volume. Anything less than that and you had a slightly broken up clean channel but maxed out it was really nice. The lead channel though... Man, gain on 1 or it was just too much.

8. MikeD675

MikeD675 New Member

With a bit more experimentation I was able to get some good crunch on the clean channel with the gain maxed and the volume at 9-10 o'clock (I need to stick to bedroom volume), guitar volume and tone maxed. However you really do need to have a strong attack to get the crunch. Maybe would be different at higher amp volumes. At least this is the case on my Les Paul studio with stock pickups. Thinking of going to the Slash pickups.

9. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

If you can get to the edge of clean just with the amp, then a clean boost or low range overdrive pedal will push it over. The pedal can add a bit of its own crunch, but the amp crunch will dominate if you get a boosted signal out of the pedal into the amp which is already nearly there. Thats basicly how I run into the clean channel of my older dsl combo. Your choice of whether the oedal is clean boost or crunching, and whether it is tone shaping or transparent.

10. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous New Member

I also struggled to get much crunch on the classic gain channel. Solution? Fulltone OCD.