Cranking amp bad for amp?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DragonCrestPC, Aug 30, 2019.

1. DragonCrestPC

DragonCrestPC Member

Buddy of mine stopped by today to hear my new amp ( 1987x ) and i cranked up the volume to about 8 and he was stating cranking the amp that loud will shorten its lifespan of the amp a lot since the power tubes were clipping. I was always under the impression marshalls can take that kind of stress since you have to crank it to get the distortion. I know it shortens the lifespan of the power tubes but i thought that's it. Am i wrong?

netlocal and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

You’re probably right. I ran my 1987x at 4 or 5 on a regular basis without problems. But, I don’t think it got any louder after 2 or 3.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct and your "Buddy" is absolutely full of the stuff that comes out of the East end of a horse as he is travelling West! Crank that bad boy!
    And Oh Yeah, Welcome To The Place Where Crappy Tone Comes To Die! :dude:

Just My $.02,
    Gene

4. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

don't tube amps sound shite on 10, I have found the sweet spot around 7, after that most amps just get muddy

5. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

having sex drains your balls, so don't have sex huh?

6. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Maybe 8,but yes 10 is a mud slinger.

7. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

" don't tube amps sound shite on 10, I have found the sweet spot around 7, after that most amps just get muddy"

its a sort of juggling act.
    if the amp has the current capability to feed the tubes, and you dime the amp, then youre going to hear something. this amp type is rare, think 1965 first type of plexi with largest power transformer.
    if you dime the amp and it does not have the current supply capability, youre going to hear something else.this type represents the most common amp type. these usually flap out when you dime them.
    if you dime the amp and the the amp has the current supply capability , and an efficient wideband frequency output transformer, you're going to hear something else yet again. think hiwatt.

there are many amps. many configurations of hardware and sub system designs like reverb or additional gain stages or multi-channel bling ...and they're all ( not that ) loosely based on the same original western electric design.

' special' amps used with the ' right' cab or speaker/speaker enclosure are rare, and very special indeed. use these special amps with the wrong speaker and youre going to hear something you dont like.
    they have the right blend of sag in the tubes, the right saturation in the output transformer, the right frequency response in the signal caps and output transformer, the right glass...the right speakers that have the right cone deflection at the right time.( and the right cut off points, top and bottom...and the right frequency response )
    you can dime these amps and the sound is glorious.
    All different types of amps are different.( different combinations of high/low fidelity components with different circuitry using different speakers)
    i have several amps here that are truly glorious dimed.
    find a 64 bassman , dime it with treb at 8 and bass at 3 on either channel and the the sound is tone glory.
    Dime a bandmaster, and I could almost promise you that you would much prefer it rolled back to around 6-7-8 max

edit- this is why i laugh when i see companies like mesa claim to be making amps whereby you can change the personality of the amp by merely changing channels. You simply cannot change the character of an amp by changing the preamp.
    You want an amp to have four personalities? Put four output transformers in it along with your four channels, and then you need some way to vary H>V current supply , not merely by pissy gimmicky tube rec or ' tweed' options that use a variac tap...these parlor tricks merely vary the voltage, not the current. ie..you'd practically need a second power transformer ( like a plate transformer with just plate taps ) with secondaries running in (switchable) parallel with the first power transformer, sitting right next to it or right above it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

Put the beans too her!!!!!!! I hate it when people don't use their stuff like the bed of a pickup truck or a sports car that never has been driver more than 5 mph over the speed limit. If its a Marshall amp crank it!

9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It won't hurt anything, set amp on 11.

10. d95err

d95err Member

If you buy a Ferrari, it will of course last longer, require less service and consume less fuel if you never drive faster than 30 mph... If I had a Ferrari, I'd take it to the track and let it rip!

11. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

What are you saving tubes for? The next owner? Use it up wear it out. Replace the tubes.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Dude you like talking about balls alot, you probably mention balls at least once in every thread.

"Hi, I'm john boy hummer! Hot damn I love amps and pickup trucks and beer n women!"

You forgot to mention balls, or do you like women with balls? I'm totally confused, I'm not here to judge I'm just pointing it out LOL... :shrug:

Alright back to our regularly scheduled programming...

13. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Active Member

Tubes amps sound better turned up, but they certainly don’t have to be dimed. My 2204 sounds best with the master around noon to 2 o’clock.... anything past that, it gets a bit mushy for my taste. The popular ideology for 800’s is to dime everything and it will just slay. That may work for some, but I don’t feel that’s where the amp shines.

14. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

My KK is the same way. It keeps getting better and better until about 1:30-2oclock then it falls off a cliff into flub city. But by that point it's already deafening and shaking shit off the walls so....

15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Marshall..the mojo is the volume going up

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If the amp is in good working order, no parts are degraded, and they were correctly specified for the task at hand, a properly designed and built amp will crank out full power until the tubes start to get weak.

But tube amps need maintenance. Parts do start to break down with age and values drift around. Filter capacitors should be replaced as often as every ten years, depending on type and manufacturer and when they were made. I've seen 3 year old caps that were toast and I've seen 45 year old caps in a Marshall that were still doing their jobs.

Since you can't KNOW how good those parts are, replacing filter caps every 10 years is highly recommended. Oh, sure, some will last a lot longer than that, but you don't really know if you have those. No harm comes from changing them out every 10 years, be sure of that.

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

When I was gigging the only amp I ever used that I played on 10 was my Fender Super Six Reverb 100 watt combo.

I had a channel volume on 10 and a master volume on 10,.....i really had to, to keep up with the other guitarist in the band!

That’s the one amp I’ve owned that sounded great all out!

18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

The sweet spot on SC20 is around 7 or 8.

slide222, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I just love what you said that this is the place crappy tone comes to die as nothing compares to the King of Loud James Marshall aka the Guvnor's Amps , which of course are the BEST :headbanger:

20. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

crank it up and be happy. when the tubes are gone, buy another set. I'm using my amps all the time cranked and so far no issue.