Craigslist Trash

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AlvisX, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:02 AM.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scored these off craig's the other day
    I love those pickups on the Hi Flyer. My 1st HF had some p-90 lookin' pickups .They sounded good too
    The explorer is an 83. Needs the neck re-glued .Apparently the guitar had been in a hot Louisiana garage for awhile........and / or Katrina The glue just crystallized .Didn't look to me like there was ever much to begin with .Poplar body & maple neck I believe ...?
    Its factory routed for a Kahler ,but somebody made a little plastic mask over the rout

[​IMG]

Ive since stained that cavity with black leather dye.I'll play it just like it is,but if somebody buys it off me & wants to track down a Kahler ...cool

Im lookin forward to gettin it together and road doggin it

2. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Man, you are the KING of cool finds!! That looks like such a cool project. I would have to imagine there is a whole world of guitars (and amps for that matter) that have been unfortunately damaged (heat, water, etc...) and need either some TLC, or a complete overhaul. I'd love to find something that needed some help and bring her back to life. Any ideas where I might find something like this? You found yours on CL?

Looking forward to seeing the transformation of these cool finds over time! :yesway:

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Yeah, craigslist . Turns out ,I've actually known this guy for a couple decades so he gave me 50 bux off the asking price
    Pawn shoppin has basically gone to hell....but I still do it
    Thrift shoppin ...beatin the bushes
    It's like deer huntin , I dont always score ....but SOMETIMES !!!!

4. delstele

delstele Well-Known Member

Nice score.. I love to tinker with old off brand guitars..

5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

I saw the guitars first and then I looked at the moniker. No surprise it's AlvisX; our MF member who finds guitars no one else could possibly find.

As usual, great finds AlvisX, thanks for sharing 'em with us, always a pleasure. :yesway:

6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

The Explorer is sittin in my kitchen right now with a big ass C clamp on it.
    Lookin forward to makin it rock again . Im thinkin creme rings and gold speed knobs
    Unfortunately the DiMarzio Super D in the bridge is dead . Im not sure what that pickup is in the neck . I think it's an L6-S pickup ....it's WAY too fckn hot to be a neck pickup

Im probably gonna go with a DiMarzio PAF (because I have a a bunch of em) in the bridge and a humbucking sized p-90 in the neck

Vinsanitizer and Kris Ford like this.
  7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition 'Floaties' Promo VIP Member

I think it's really cool that you're reviving this guitar. :yesway:

8. Antmax

Antmax Active Member

Very cool. I did something similar. A couple of months ago some guys regionally known sculptor/guitarist dad passed and left a dozen guitars and other equip. This old japanese 73/4 pancake les paul was hanging in pieces in a gig bag in the garage.

Pic below shows it when I first got it, after a good cleanup. (click thumbnails to enlarge, didn't want to impose)

I ended up spending a couple of hundred on parts and tools, did a refret with EVO wire replaced missing bridge, nut, switch and tailpiece. It now looks and plays great, and I can see why his old man kept it even if it was in pieces.

BELOW Put finishing touches on it yesterday

Now it's my favourite sub $500 guitar. Probably cost me about $300 including cheap drill press and other useful tools. The lovely sounding Maxon U1000 PAF's in it are probably worth more than I paid for the guitar.

It was great fun and very rewarding to do, almost the same age as me and really has that vintage vibe. I definitely recommend it as a great experience.