Craigslist Trash

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AlvisX, Jul 17, 2017.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scored these off craig's the other day
    I love those pickups on the Hi Flyer. My 1st HF had some p-90 lookin' pickups .They sounded good too
    The explorer is an 83. Needs the neck re-glued .Apparently the guitar had been in a hot Louisiana garage for awhile........and / or Katrina The glue just crystallized .Didn't look to me like there was ever much to begin with .Poplar body & maple neck I believe ...?
    Its factory routed for a Kahler ,but somebody made a little plastic mask over the rout

[​IMG]

Ive since stained that cavity with black leather dye.I'll play it just like it is,but if somebody buys it off me & wants to track down a Kahler ...cool

Im lookin forward to gettin it together and road doggin it

R.Kandy, Antmax, The Ozzk and 4 others like this.
  2. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Man, you are the KING of cool finds!! That looks like such a cool project. I would have to imagine there is a whole world of guitars (and amps for that matter) that have been unfortunately damaged (heat, water, etc...) and need either some TLC, or a complete overhaul. I'd love to find something that needed some help and bring her back to life. Any ideas where I might find something like this? You found yours on CL?

Looking forward to seeing the transformation of these cool finds over time! :yesway:

The Ozzk and Vinsanitizer like this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Yeah, craigslist . Turns out ,I've actually known this guy for a couple decades so he gave me 50 bux off the asking price
    Pawn shoppin has basically gone to hell....but I still do it
    Thrift shoppin ...beatin the bushes
    It's like deer huntin , I dont always score ....but SOMETIMES !!!!

4. delstele

delstele Well-Known Member

Nice score.. I love to tinker with old off brand guitars..

5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Poet, Priest of nothing, Legend. VIP Member

I saw the guitars first and then I looked at the moniker. No surprise it's AlvisX; our MF member who finds guitars no one else could possibly find.

As usual, great finds AlvisX, thanks for sharing 'em with us, always a pleasure. :yesway:

The Ozzk likes this.
  6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

The Explorer is sittin in my kitchen right now with a big ass C clamp on it.
    Lookin forward to makin it rock again . Im thinkin creme rings and gold speed knobs
    Unfortunately the DiMarzio Super D in the bridge is dead . Im not sure what that pickup is in the neck . I think it's an L6-S pickup ....it's WAY too fckn hot to be a neck pickup

Im probably gonna go with a DiMarzio PAF (because I have a a bunch of em) in the bridge and a humbucking sized p-90 in the neck

The Ozzk, Vinsanitizer and Kris Ford like this.
  7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Poet, Priest of nothing, Legend. VIP Member

I think it's really cool that you're reviving this guitar. :yesway:

The Ozzk likes this.
  8. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Very cool. I did something similar. A couple of months ago some guys regionally known sculptor/guitarist dad passed and left a dozen guitars and other equip. This old japanese 73/4 pancake les paul was hanging in pieces in a gig bag in the garage.

Pic below shows it when I first got it, after a good cleanup. (click thumbnails to enlarge, didn't want to impose)

I ended up spending a couple of hundred on parts and tools, did a refret with EVO wire replaced missing bridge, nut, switch and tailpiece. It now looks and plays great, and I can see why his old man kept it even if it was in pieces.

BELOW Put finishing touches on it yesterday

Now it's my favourite sub $500 guitar. Probably cost me about $300 including cheap drill press and other useful tools. The lovely sounding Maxon U1000 PAF's in it are probably worth more than I paid for the guitar.

It was great fun and very rewarding to do, almost the same age as me and really has that vintage vibe. I definitely recommend it as a great experience.

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Well
    Got the neck glued back in ...strung n wired. Was able to save orig pots switch n jack

Haven't yet been able to put it thru a proper amp. Schuyler Dean humb sized p90 in the neck. It was sold to me as a bridge p/u but did not cut it in the bridge position....so this is where they go.
    DiMarzio reissue DP103 in the bridge....it CUTS IT.
    Dont really like creme rings or 1ply black guard. Trying for bwb guard n black rings
    Need a new Nashville tunematic and a GIBSON stop tailpiece
    This guitar has been neglected and wont be any kind of resale score.....but with a few good parts and a little setup, it can have a good life on the road....

Attached Files:

Antmax likes this.
  10. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

WIP - Work In Progress
    Found some black Gibson rings in the drawer. Still need to remove broken off rusted p/u ring mounting screw
    Paint polished up pretty good . B/W/B guard on the way ,hardshell case too
    Sounds / plays pretty darn good though , great neck

[​IMG]

11. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

BTW
    Any of y'all know what this pickup might be ? I thought maybe L6-s or Midnight Special , but it reads a bit too high
    Twas in the neck of the explorer when I got it
    ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-literally everything you mentioned about the EXPLORER, found abused, unloved for years, neck off/un-glued!!!-WTF-KATRINA!! rough -ruff-RUFF-shape, gold nobs!!, no-$$$-maker... Everything sent red flags up to me, I didn't think even you!!! ALIVISX!!! could salvage it, just dead way too long, -Glad I'm wrong-
    -what brand of glue do you use on the neck?
    -did you find sign's of water damage ALVIS?-

13. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Actually it's guitars no one else would BUY ....:naughty:

The gold knobs were my choice. The knobs that were on it are in the 1st pic .They look like Sound City amp knobs with a smaller skirt
    In my brain , gold speed knobs look great on a black Gibson ....like FRAMPTON man !:lol:. I feel like black knobs AND a white guard on this guitar would make it just ANOTHER Explorer.Reflectors...maybe
    I know a guy, who I don't like ,that has a black xplrer with the factory white guard ......

The guy that sold it to me ,who I've indirectly known since the 90's , told me the guitar came out of years in a hot garage......
    Maybe it did . All the screws were rusty ...pickguard ,pickup mounts , control cavity. I had to put a soldering iron on every screw head to turn 'em . I think that one was broke off before I started
    The pots were just STUCK .....but I sprayed some Deoxit around and managed to keep all the orig electronics (pots /switch/ jack) which I thought I'd have to replace.
    The paint it checked up pretty good (which I like ) ...not flaking off though ,THAT woulda been a sure sign o Katrina
    It's got a couple xtra strap button holes and a buckle rash on the back

Hey, here's an example of what it woulda looked like back in the day .....

http://shop.guitarpoint.de/en/Gibson/1983-Gibson-Explorer-/-Kahler-Ebony

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  14. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Im still not sure about the body
    I always thought the later ones , with the knobs in the triangle pattern were poplar ....but maybe it's alder
    I see varying body material descpriptions with the straight knob versions from that period ....mahogany, KORINA(on color coated models)
    This is a big grain wood . I could believe alder ...but it's pretty light in weight

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-when you said gold nobs, l wasnt thinking nobs, I was thinking "THE-FREAKIN-NECK & BODY CAME UN-GLUED!!"-WTF-"thats sadder than a sack of cats headed for the river" I've gotta blame-HURRICANE-KATRlNA-cuz,

-Alvis, don't know how you do It-(VOODOO??)- looks great, i bet it plays better, she cleaned up real nice, I can't picture it with out the gold nobs now, didnt Gibson put gold nobs on black & white, maybe even red? Explorer's & Flying-V's at some point in time?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  16. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-WOOD- the guitar on -BAYOU---gotta be ---------SWAMP ASH----

AlvisX likes this.
  17. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

The 1st explorers had gold or black top hat knobs ( some guys confuse top hats & reflectors..because reflectors actually look like top hats ,BUT ,they have a little metallic disc on top that says "volume" or "tone", hence the name reflector.....a 60's knob)

Kris Ford and SG~GUY like this.
  18. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Explorer Locked n loaded for 1st gig in who knows how many years
    Got a good case ,new b/w/b guard (that I slightly relic'd) new tunematic...all tune't :naughty: up n ready to go on the road
    Man, I haven't had time to mess with the Hi Flyer ,which is what got me into the deal in the 1st place . I don't even know if the pickups work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's a shot o' the rash ...gotta move your screen around to see the grain . I say alder though

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Kris Ford likes this.
  19. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I can't tell if the grain is that tight or its a grain filler/sealer? Where's GEEZE?

-Im thinking gold or brass hardware, and im not a fan of either! -So.... How Much!!!-?-

20. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I considered converting to nickel hardware,but couldn't find a set of tuners I liked that came in nickel. Plus, Im trying to keep as much of the orig vibe as I can stand . Not a super fan of chrome ...but it aint a Les Paul Custom either ,so no gold
    Brass.....that was all the rage when I was in HS , late 70s...brass nuts ,what a tone sucka !
    I got some recycled 70s brass parts of some Gibsons ,sittin on a couple old Kays

I think I'll play a few gigs with thhe Explorer 1st ...see how it's gonna act .See how I like carrying the case around ...with our bass player's T-Bird case aka The Nimitz...now we got The Nimitz and the Enterprise.....

I tend to have some luck at times ,selling such guitars at gigs for merch , we'll see how it goes .Hell,it may grow on me

Kris Ford and SG~GUY like this.