Coming To America.....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Ufoscorpion, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I will be bringing the Mrs to the states ( 30th anniversary treat ) for a three week road trip next Saturday ( 22nd sept. ) . This will be our first trip to the US ( any tips , do's and dont's appreciated ) so we're pretty excited . Will be flying in to JFK staying ther for a couple of nights before working our way up to Maine , across the White mountains to Vermont , Buffalo , Pittsburg , Washington , Philadelphia and back to New York taking in everything we can on route . I will be posting any interesting findings on the forum as I travel .

Robus, The Ozzk, John BNY and 2 others like this.
  2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

Congratulations and Welcome to the show! America is certified by the EU as the official "Walt Disney World of the World".

New York - if you mean NYC, it can be interesting. Rich cultural history, lots to see. I can't drive in that kind of traffic without experiencing anxiety, panic attacks, borderline seizures, and even Severe Onset Anaphylactic Shock with Generalized Self Loathing (SOASGSL). I'm kidding of course. Three tips: don't drive in the city if you can avoid it, don't use the subways and hide your valuables. I've been there 4 or 5 times and that was quite enough.

Maine - A great place to visit if you like the ocean culture, and September's a great time to go. Plenty of delicious seafood!

Vermont - I live 45 mins away and visit once or twice a year. Again, September's a great time to go because of the Fall season. Very beautiful country atmosphere, particularly when the leaves have changed colors. It's the stuff of legendary Fall images.

Buffalo - I can't figure why anyone would visit Buffalo on a journey through the USA without a specific reason. Their Winter begins in July and the snow doesn't melt until June, so there could be snow by the end of September (for all's I know).

Pittsburgh - I can't figure why anyone would visit Pittsburgh on a journey through the USA without a specific reason.

Washington - I can't figure why anyone would visit the state of Washington on their journey through the USA without a specific reason.

Philadelphia - Rich history, try the Philly cheese steaks! (And if you would mind, please mail me one and I'll triple your money back to you in cash.)

*Disclaimer: The views and opinions above are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of the Marshall Amp Forum™, its affiliates or its members.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    The Ozzk and AlanH like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I semi-agree w/ Vin. Is there a distinct purpose for having that trip planned like that already?

I'm guessing you mean Washington DC, not Washington state?

Do note, that to see the sites of NY city & DC, those are like a week long excursion, just to get a taste. I've never been to either, but, I know what all's there & I probably couldn't see everything in either place in 3 weeks. There's just that much there.

Maine & Vermont, seem like they'd be great for the scenic views, especially for the fall weather. Not sure about destination spots though.

Pittsburgh & Buffalo, that's where you go, if you want to get mugged & get your hubcaps stolen. :)...

Are you driving? If not, how are you traveling? If you're thinking about using taxi cabs, there's Uber & Lyft. Both require a phone app. You enter your credit card into their system & all your travel payments are automatic, so you don't have to do money exchanges w/ the driver. I usually have a bit of cash on hand to kick them a couple dollars, depending on how long distance.

Most Uber drivers are only expecting local drives, but will take you long distance. They don't get paid for the travel back, so I try & compensate them for that. You still end up way cheaper than a cab...

If you are renting & driving, remember, the driver's side & travel lane are on the wrong side. Might throw you for a loop & you might do a driver's handbook scan through to see if there's anything contrary to your laws, etc. Sucks to get a ticket in another country.

Here's a quick primer:

https://www.findingtheuniverse.com/tips-for-driving-in-usa/

I'm just waking up, time to get coffee...

The Ozzk and Vinsanitizer like this.
  4. Vinsanitizer

I totally agree with DoD.

Washington DC? Yeah, I dug it. I'd like to go back again.

5. Dogs of Doom

Thinking about Vermont, etc., there's a lot of history in places like Boston, etc., especially the Colonial/Independence, etc. (the war for independence from GB). There's a lot of houses marked "George Washington slept here" Word is, he slept around & that's how he became the father of our nation... :)...

As far as the colonial stuff, it's scattered around & built around, so you wouldn't be able to just find everything by driving around, so easily. When you visit Washington & Virginia, everything's pretty centralized & you can pick up tourist guides at almost any hotel.

https://washington.org/visit-va/things-see-do-virginia

https://www.smartdestinations.com/blog/washington-dc-3-day-itinerary/

6. Ufoscorpion

Lol, the places I've mentioned were to kind of give you a idea of the round trip were doing . We've hired a car for 3 weeks and will be making several stops on route , Groton ( submarine base ) Rode island , Boston , Salem , Portland , Cape cod to name a few . Buffalo because we want to see Niagra falls and by the way Pittsburg mainly coz it's on the way back to the east coast . Will be taking in as much as possible without pushing it too much , it's supposed to be a holiday , so we've averaged the driving out to 2 hours a day .

7. Dogs of Doom

Keep an eye on the hurricane too. It's affecting the Virginia/DC area. Not sure what's happening there right now, but, in a week you should know if they just had a big storm, or if it was catastrophic. It seems to be mostly south of there & headed south, so, hopefully they didn't get hit too hard.

8. Vinsanitizer

There you go, all those places are worth visiting. I was gonna recommend Niagara Falls but wasn't quite sure you'd be in that area. I would wish for you to be able to see the south as well, but perhaps on another occasion. I hope you have an awesome memorable time!

The Ozzk and Ufoscorpion like this.
  9. Ufoscorpion

Thanks , we will be visiting tha southern states at some point , but not this time of year . We will visit my uncle who lives in Atlanta , and do a round trip from there .

10. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

11. Ufoscorpion

Lol , forgot about soul glo , funny film must watch again .

The Ozzk and crossroadsnyc like this.
  12. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Man Vin, I always thought of you as being semi intelligent but with such negative and untrue comments like this one (and the others)well! :facepalm:

Anyway, if you knew anything about Buffalo you would know:

1. Buffalo is growing and rebuilding while other cities are doing the opposite.
    2. Buffalos architecture is amazing and some of the best anywhere.
    3. The food is some of the best.
    4. It was the first city in American to have electric street lights.
    5. The lakes are amazing.
    6. Snow may start Nov/Dec and is gone by April.
    7. Outdoor activities are amazing.
    8. There is Niagara Falls, ArtPark, Niagara on The Lake nearby.
    9. Buffalo is not even on the top 10 snowiest cities in the USA.
    10. great fishing.
    11. Skiing snowmobiling.

JCarno likes this.
  13. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

12. Bills (the only NFL team actually in the state of New York)
    13. Sabres
    14. Buffalo Wings (though, i guess that might already fall under #3)

Those are the first 3 things I think of in Buffalo. Those Bills teams from the Kelly / Reed / Thomas days were some of the best of all time despite not winning a SB (was heartbreaking to watch them lose), and while I can't say I was ever a Sabres fan, I did take an active interest for a while when they had Pat LaFontaine (one of my favorites).

MarshallDog likes this.
  14. Ufoscorpion

We're looking forward to seeing all the destinations on our trip and they will all I'm sure be worth visiting . Hopefully there will be no negatives to report .

15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you're skipping California...San Francisco right now is not what what it seems, or what you have seen on postcards....there are more homeless people and poop in places you'd be familiar with... Most homeless and crackheads aren't even native SF'ers.....

16. LRT#1

LRT#1 Active Member

Washington state we have everything from high mountains (mt Rainier) to desert, rain forest and the Pacific ocean. If you like the city go to Seattle and see the space needle. If you like agriculture go to central washington. There is lots to see here as for the others I have no opinion because there is lots to see in this great country of ours. Hope you enjoy it I sure do. Make memories to take home with you and your wife. Have fun and stay out of trouble.