Collusion?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by paulorr8179, Jan 1, 2019.

1. paulorr8179

paulorr8179 Active Member

Here is something for you.

If you go to the Music123, Musician's Friend, and Woodwind and Brass web sites, look for "open box" select "Gibson" electric guitars. You will see the same items. Hmmmm ....

Are all these dealers owned by the same owner? Or, are they sub contracting out their open box inventory?

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

They all ship from the same warehouse.

3. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Guitar Center is the parent company to all three of them (and a few others).

JeffMcLeod likes this.
  4. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

A few years back I bought a blemished 2012 Gibson SG Standard. I found it on Music 123. Before I pulled the trigger I looked on Musician's Friend and the same guitar was on their site as well. I figured they were sister companies.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. paulorr8179

Ah ha ... well that explains it. Thanks !

6. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Toys R Us owned Guitar Center and they went tits up this summer.
    So don't expect your GC stock to make you money, they've been heavily leveraged and under water for decades.

7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Not just collusion, a full conspiracy.

Adieu likes this.
  8. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

GC never made me any money. They only cost me money.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  9. paulorr8179

Bare with me as I ramble on some .....

What I like about GC is they offer used products, some well priced. They have a 45 day return policy, no questions asked. So I can order a guitar or amp, have it shipped clear across the country, use it for 45 days and if I don't like it, return it and only be stuck with the shipping costs.

If I buy anything off Reverb.com, chances are the product is not returnable if private seller.

The bad thing about GC is they do over $1M in sales NYS where I live, so by NYS law they have to charge me sales tax at 8%. At Musicians Friend, I do not have to pay shipping (most items ship free) or sales tax, but they only have new or open box items.

I have heard over and over again that GC is going bankrupt, but so far they are still a going concern.

In Syracuse, NY where I live, the GC store will not stock high end guitars or amps because there is no viable high end market locally for high end product. So I typically have to have product shipped to me from afar.

Now oddly enough, there is this boutique store in Syracuse "Ish Guitar" who is killing the market with high end PRS guitars. Their business model is totally internet based and they sell $12,000 PRS guitars like penny candy to well to do people, some in Japan. The owner has made quite a name for himself to the point where Paul Reed Smith himself comes to Ish to do PRS days. Go figure.

Okay thanks for listening to me ramble on. Have a great day !

10. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Dang! You're not kidding - nothing BUT high-end guitars! I checked out their collection online, and man do they have some amazing PRS guitars. And like you had mentioned, not only do they sell tons of these $12k guitars, they are sold out of many of them! (somebody's got the coin to buy these - sure wish I did!). I have a PRS S2 Standard and I think it plays really well. Just overall, a really well make guitar. I cant imagine what a $16k PRS must be like! I bet it plays nice, but I don't think I could ever cough up that kind of cabbage for ONE guitar. :D

11. paulorr8179

The owner Jesse of Ish is a really great guy, probably only 30 years old.

A couple years ago I bought in a 1957 LP Junior just to see if I got a good deal or got taken. He looked it over and even took pics to send to a buddy of his to test the authenticity of the tuners. Who else would go out of their way treat me so nice. Most others would not give me the time of day.

I am thrilled a young man has found such success in a town as small as Syracuse. You can go in and play any guitar in the store. Of course, he wipes them down when you are done but that shows he care so much for the guitars. These high end PRS's are really high end woods and finishes. They all play the same. I have a custom 24 10 top that to me is as good as these $12k guitars. Those are collector grade guitars. You wouldn't take them out on the road.

My kid lives in Brooklyn. He has a buddy who just bought a $12k Gibson R9. Before he ordered it he was asking Gibson all about the jigs and fixtures it was made on, the glue used, etc. Wanted it authentic. And he just got a $3,295 Bartel Sugerland amp to play it on. He's a banker who makes the big bucks so he can afford it. Ivy league. Trust me I'm not in that class. These guys collect and they have the extra cash to buy.

Just know that S2 is as good as any $12,000 Custom 22/24.

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

My take, 12K for a guitar that damned thing better make you play better as well as wipe your ass. But if there is a market so be it. GC's problem is they let every John Q have at the good stuff until it's shop worn shit that needs to be so heavily discounted there ain't much room left for profit. You can't do that. If i ran a shop that had high end stuff many would not even touch it. If you were not a serious buyer you would never put your hands on it unless you were willing to give me your credit card and if you get rocking out and scratch it or smack it into the wall i hit you with a $500 charge for damages. Too many want to play this stuff but can't or won't pony up. Screw them.

13. paulorr8179

True. I suspect Ish lets me hold and play high end PRS's because I am a tad bit older than most .... like I am retiring this summer. Another friend of mine in New Hartford (yes, Joe Bonamassa country) has a music store and they put the high end stuff behind the counter up on the wall. They even say kids come in and want to play them and end up nicking them.

14. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

they're not nicked......they're relic'd. Add $200.

I'm surprised GC is even a public company. The whole industry is flat, and will be for the foreseeable future. They don't sell things EVERYBODY owns, like cell phones, or TV's. And you don't need to go to a physical store to buy items. You'll always have the small niche shops though. It's kind of odd, because many of the high-dollar items aren't even made anymore. Plus, it seems like guitars aren't as popular with the youth coming up as they were in the 60's or 70's. Same goes for drums. now-a-days, contemporary music is all drum machine, with their clickity-clacks and smickity-smacks.

15. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. VIP Member

There are only three guitar string manufacturers and alkaline battery manufacturers per planet.

Adieu and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I remember when I found out that my beloved rotosound strings where made pretty much the same way and possibly in the same Bld, as my ernieballs! I quit buying them!:shrug:

tce63 likes this.
  17. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I've come full circle, tried all kinds of strings imported and domestic.....back to Ern's and Martin's, same sh@t i started on.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Same here bro, I did have a really good local guitarist tell me my setup and tone sounded just like Judas Priest! He later toured with Dio, Tracy G is what he went by! Cheers Mitch

tce63 and Wildeman like this.
  19. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    NO COLLUSION, NO COLLUSION ...

20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

There's some cross-ownership between the big online retailers...

But also a lot are starting to sell the Amazon way, where they're posting other vendor's inventories next to their own for a cut