Cold bias vs Hot bias?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by The Dose of Harmony, Aug 20, 2019.

1. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

Hi guys !!

i have heard two different opinions on how cold or hot bias affect you breakup and headroom in your amp?

one from Uncle Doug and another Bad ass tech ?

but they contradict each other

one says that cold bias its gonna reduce your headroom and the breakup and clip sooner than hot bias ?
    and the other the other way around

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I've found that 70% dissipation is a good happy medium, so for a 50 watt Marshall thats 38 mA or 96 mA for a 100 watt amp. My opinion is your amp has headroom or it doesnt, adjusting your bias isnt gonna add or detract headroom to an amp, at least not enough to make a difference, its the amp circuit that dictates how much headroom you have. Get a volt meter and a biasrite and do some tests yourself to see.

3. The Dose of Harmony

I run all my amps within range at 65 to 70 % , i have the bias probe from euro tubes and i check them often its just that was very weird to hear two very wise guys to differ in that particular topic!

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Some people are hair splitters and can hear a difference in the tiniest differences, I just dont bank alot on it and dont think it matters enough to say a tone is different enough or not by splitting hairs. One guy may say setting bias up or down a hair is earth shatteringly different, I just dont hear it enough to split hairs over it. So its not to say either of those guys are wrong, it just doesnt make a whole lot of difference to me, everybody hears things differently. Challenge them both and see what they say, tell them what the other guy said, maybe one of them got their facts wrong or didnt say it right!

The Dose of Harmony likes this.
  5. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Before the internet people got great tones by using their ears. If I've learned one thing from all this it's that the tone one person loves may not sound good to you. And vice versa. In fact some people have gotten truly excellent tones by just doing exactly the darned well opposite to what everyone else says.
    Not me though I'm rubbish at this stuff.

Nik Henville likes this.
  6. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

It goes both ways. Too cold and the tubes break up, too hot and you run out of headroom too early and the tubes saturate. What i did discover when trying Ampmads o-scope version of biasing is that the tubes bias up alot cooler than when using cathode resistor method.

7. The Dose of Harmony

I am about to star recording engineering next month besides that , i am building up a small studio and i am already hook up with modding amps so i want to understand and have better idea of happens with the bias too cold or to hot from the electrical point?

I found this video and I would like all you guys to tell me about it you can find the topic on minute 4:13 on this video he says the opposite!!

8. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

Plug your guitar in and play as you adjust the bias trim pot and see for yourself. It's not gonna damage anything as long as you don't redplate the tubes. It isn't a huge difference. As long as you hot enough to avoid crossover distortion and you're below 70% of max plate dissipation, it's fine. Set the bias to wherever it sounds good.

Nik Henville likes this.
  9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Cold bias sounds like ass.
    But the tubes last longer.
    Cold bias has much more distortion and the headroom is gone from the start.
    Cold bias works like a noise gate. The output is shutting off when there is no music playing, therefore you hear less noise.

upload_2019-8-20_16-29-57.jpeg Waveform of cold amplifier. The distortion appears long before amp has reached maximum output. (is why it sounds like ass)

upload_2019-8-20_16-31-37.png Clean sine wave from hot amplifier. The output should remain clean (no distortion) until output has reached maximum.

Hot bias has much less distortion, and all the headroom that is available. (there is no magic way to increase headroom beyond original)
    The tube life is shorter with heat.
    Of course hot bias sounds better, but there will also be more noise. (because the output is turned on all the time)
    When there is no music, you will hear the noise because the output is still "on."
    The output does not shut off when no music is playing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    MarshallDog and Emtbreid like this.
  10. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion

@purpleplexi and @FourT6and2 both speak the truth.
    I have been playing glass bottles for five decades plus, and always set 'em up using my ears and a guitar. Punters cant hear 95mA versus 96mA, but they CAN hear good sounding against crappy. I just wind the bias down to where it sounds like shit, then up to where those bottles begin to glow, and then set it to someplace in between that sounds good to my ears.

john hammond likes this.
  11. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

We would need to read the articles or postings of both.

The bias point is relative to the signal so all that is bullshit unless you are person that either likes it biased on the colder side or the hotter side.

12. The Dose of Harmony

well guys after testing it my self on two different amps the JMP and TSl 100

looks like Uncle Doug and Ampmadscientist are right

Hot bias more Headroom less distortion
    cold bias Less Headroom more distortion ,clipping

13. The Dose of Harmony

you were right and Uncle Doug I tested it myself.

14. mickeydg5

That sounds all good but can you give everyone details for each amplifier like the hot and cold bias settings along with all amplifier control settings and settings of any equipment in the signal chain?

15. The Dose of Harmony

Guitar directly to both amp

Amp settings all eq at noon

On the JMP plate voltage was around 357 v

hot settings went to 62 ma
    Cold settings went to 26 ma
    I wanted get cooler but the pot did not give me more

I notice that when it was cold the pre amp knob was more sensitive

it sound it good man i wanted to tested for longer time but it was getting late

On Tsl 100 PV was 448

Hot 58 ma
    Cold 28 ma

This one took me more time when you lower the other pair and those pots are very sensitives

The cold settings were more noticeable on tsl , sounded very rare
    On the Jmp you have to pay more attention

Next time i will do it i am gonna record but everybtime i need to record some stupid update or the computer brakes or something fucking kill my plans

By the way on low setting there is like a dead band you go down and you don feel it but suddenly its there

Please if anybody does the test let me know

16. mickeydg5

So do you like the cold biases at 26 and 28 per tube? You like crossover distortion?

I cannot stand that stuff. But everyone has there own opinion.

What do you guys think?
    To me that is to close or into crossover distortion for those amplifiers.

Valve/tube speaking:

A hotter bias does not give more headroom. It is the opposite. It just provides a clearer more detailed signal up front. A hotter bias drops the B+ a little and places the incoming signal closer to that level which actually decreases headroom of the power tubes. The thing is the power tubes are now putting out more power, quicker, so you end up lowering preamp signals and turning down the overall volume which in turn keeps the signal cleaner.

A colder bias gives more headroom but when bias point is too low the operation gets into crossover distortion. The bias is colder and the B+ goes up a little giving the power tubes more headroom. But too cold and the bias point is too low putting out less power and causing the user to up the volumes for more signal which in turn makes the signal dirtier.

Still I cannot stand to go too close to crossover region. The amplifiier looses some detail and bottom frequencies do not sit right.
    My EL34 at around 460VDC stay around 38-41mA. I really do not like going belwo 34mA much less 28mA.
    My 6L6GC/5881 at around 470VDC stay around 28-31mA. I tried lowering my Bassman to 24 and even 22mA and it just starting loosing detail and sound like ass compared to a good bias level. (Yes 6L6 types bias much lower than 6CA7/EL34 types.)

Moral of the story is that you are altering the entire signal and amplifier when biasing at different levels. It has less to do with power tube headroom but rather the entire amplifier's headroom.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. The Dose of Harmony

Sorry man i am still work and i was not clear and typing fast I liked when it was hot!

I tested more the Jmp on the hit side because sounded good

I am not an amp tech i am just staring to get into amp mods and understanding how amps work i just bring in the questions and you guys are the experts

18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thats exactly what I found a couple years back but I thought it was very subtle at best. Its a thick hair of difference IMO! So, I just do 70% dissipation based on the voltage.

19. The Dose of Harmony

I was wondering if you saw the video that posted?
    And let me know if he is wrong where its his mistake

20. mickeydg5

The video on the single ended amplifier, I did not.
    I will later when I have more time.