Code 25 vs 100 vs JVM

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by G. Levin, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:33 AM.

1. G. Levin

G. Levin New Member

I have been using Code 25 for six months.
    I like the sound in the headphones. Most of all I like JVM emulation.
    But the sound from the combo does not make me happy.
    A lot of dirt, bubbling. When recording this effect is less.
    Will there be an improvement from using a 100-watt version on a 2x12 inch speaker.
    Has anyone compared? Or not change, but save money for a real JVM?

2. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

The Latter is my Vote ..

LPMarshall hack and Sapient like this.
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Agree w/@FracStrat save up for the real thing. I've had a couple JVMs and I had the Code head for a bit. The Code stuff is a decent choice for a practice amp in your vacation home but not much more than that IMO.

4. G. Levin

G. Levin New Member

Sorry for my English :uk:

I live in an apartment. I need to play at a low volume. Would the JVM410C be too big for that. Will an attenuator be needed? Sometimes JVM1H heads appear on sale, but I want something adult with normal speakers. Used JVM410C and JVM1H with 2x12 cabinet will be equal in price.

Also, I sometimes need to record sound on a computer. I have an audio card and Logic PRO. I know about silent recording mode. I heard that this is not very good. What do you say about this?

Also interested in playing through the headphones through the same emulated output. How is the quality? I do not want to be disappointed if it is worse than Marshal Code ... Is it possible to connect a speaker simulator with impulses?

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What is your budget? Maybe you should get a Kemper or AXFX, you'll get all the tones you want and quiet/silent play ability with good tone.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was very happy with the MG series for quiet/silent play. :yesway:

6. G. Levin

G. Levin New Member

If I try hard, then maybe I can save money on axe fx, but I don’t think I want this. When I think what I want, I come to the thought that I want a THING. Marshall JVM is one of the top amplifiers. Turned on and play. No presets, IR cabinets. And it looks great. And also the feeling that you play a tube marshall))) Maybe it's stupid, but I want one good guitar and one good amplifier. High gain.

Someone writes that it is excellent at low volume due to the master volume, someone writes that it is very loud (but there are attenuators), I can not unfortunately listen to the amplifier before purchase.

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

A Jvm is a lot of amplifier to just play at home, but If you've got your heart set on a Jvm then nothing else will satisfy you except a Jvm. If you buy something else, you'll continue to think about the Jvm. I don't own, and never have owned one, but I think you should be able to use it at home, certainly with an attenuator.

I'd suggest a 205h (50 watt head), with a 1-12 cab with a low sensitivity speaker like a G12M-65 Creamback for example, with a attenuator you'd be in good shape, I would think.

What kind of music do you play? I was wondering if you've ever played any Dsls? Some of them might be a better choice for playing at home. They have a great clean channel and plenty of gain on the red channel. It would be much better if you could try one out to see if it would satisfy your Jvm itch. A Dsl5cr or a Dsl20 would be good choices imo or even a Dsl40cr. I'm told they are great for low volume playing.

Just some thoughts that come to mind.

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get the JVM then if thats what you want. It has an excellent master volume for low volume play and be turned up for LOUD play it does both well. And I'm sure you can figure out how to connect it to your computer for silent play/recording. Good luck! :yesway:

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I get what you mean by wanting a "thing" but IME low volume apartment playing requires a different set of tools than playing with a drummer. Big tube amps need maintenance and only sound their best when played at volumes that just don't work in a volume limited application. Attenuators work great when knocking down a 50 or 100w non master volume beast for use in a small club but are pretty worthless with an amp like the JVM. You can use something like the Waza TAE or the OX but that's an expensive path and you will still need something to monitor them with. I have the TAE and 7 tube amps at the moment and play a Line 6 Helix 95% of the time at home. It just sounds better IMO.

If your computer can support it, I would recommend the Helix Native and some halfway decent studio monitors . That will give you better low volume tone and feel than the Code combo definitely and isn't too big of sn investment. Then keep your eye out for a used JVM head and you have all bases covered!

10. G. Levin

G. Levin New Member

I tried DSL 40C and I didn't like it, especially Ultra Gain Chanel. But it doesn't have Master volume.
    I try to play different kinds of music. Punk, rock, metal. Now there is a very good offer for the 410 combo.

Thank you!

11. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

:welcome:Welcome to the Forum

You need a JVM1H. It's loud on 1W mode if you play at home. But It has 0,1W mode, great. In that mode you can connect the speaker output to a return Fx of other amp.

Great amp IMO.

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

It does have a master volume for each channel. Keep them down low.
    OR
    Get the 410 and be done. It can sound very good quiet. It's overkill but then you won't keep thinking about it. Can run teh balanced out to a small mixer and run to computer or phones etc. In a pinch use the Code for headphone playing

13. G. Levin

G. Levin New Member

Right now is very good offer for used 410 Combo. It costs cheaper than 1w head.
    You have both of them. Tell please difference.

14. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I had a Code Combo which I upgraded to the head. I also have a JVM410HJS and had a JVM410C and 210H. I use the code for the headphones feature. I enjoy it and use it for late night playing.

Having said that, it’s not in the same universe as a JVM. In my opinion, JVM is one of the greatest amps on this planet. It’s a brilliant design and feature set. Code is a fun amp, great for practicing, I’ve used it to give guitar lessons, but in no way does it really sound like or feel like a JVM. If you keep your expectations realistic you will continue to enjoy Code. If you want it to go head to head with a JVM, JCM800, Bluesbreaker, etc you will be very disappointed.

Jethro Rocker and pedecamp like this.
  15. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have the JVM1H and the JVM410 HJS (Joe Satriani signature head).
    Really different amps! The JVM1H it's small sound amp. It's great to use at home. If you have a good power attenuator I recomended buy the 410. More channels and a big sound IMHO.