Clips: 1987 Silver Jubilee 2555 Vs . . . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by RickyLee, Apr 30, 2017.

1. wmachine

wmachine Member

50 or so what? (FWIW I'm past 60 with about 1/2 that hair length, but solid chrome)

Obligatory Marshall content: I'm following this thread with interest, thanks for the work Ricky. I jumped in and went the distance getting the 2555X head for under $1K, then followed up with the cabs making a full stack. Total overkill, but totally satisfied.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I do hear differences but I have to first state that the clone was louder, not to the point of any distortion or saturation. That in itself usually provides more presence, punch and definition. I think it is heard when listening and comparing the two. Of coarse the capacitors and transformers are helping to make those differences.

I just have to wonder if the clone was turned down to match better if they would sound more alike.

They both sounded good.

3. mickeydg5

I am more than 50 years of age.
    My hair looks similar to this with the skunk stripe only longer, past my tittes.

upload_2017-5-20_0-17-47.png

4. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, I would say you resemble a singer in a band that is on the tip of my brain. Not coming to me now.

:D

Regarding the Jubilee amps and volume level in the clips, the amp clips I made were closely matched in volume/output level using a very sensitive dB meter I have. I left the dB meter on a small stand just out of view from the video. I first ran the TSL100 with all its settings from a previous nights gig. Then matched the volume on all the following amp clips to that same dB level.

The '87 2555 Silver Jubilee had its MV around 6 while the 2555 Clone was around 3 on the MV (those are aprox as I mentioned all settings in the clips, would have to go back and listen to what I said to double check). But the Clone has a .68uF cathode bypass cap on V2A. So you are hearing the enhanced frequencies from that added cap. Might go back and remove that .68uF on V2A on the Clone or put it on a switch later on.

5. mickeydg5

Any capacitor in the cathode circuit will not only enhance frequency but add volume as well, volume more so and frequency not so much at V2A. To be fair both should have the same circuits and values.

On my end the clone was definitely louder no matter what a decibel meter may have indicated in the room. To me that makes a great deal of difference in what one hears. Cleaner additional volume enhances everything.

6. mulletmule

mulletmule Active Member

Great job! Thanks for sharing! I liked different things about all of them. I've been thinking about doing something similar. I did a JVM 410 vs 410HJS video a couple years ago. Maybe it's time lol