Clipping Diodes, Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by NewReligion, Feb 21, 2010.

1. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have been a guest here at the forum for a few months now and have played guitar for close to 40 years at this point. I still own a few Marshall heads and have owned many more over the years. I currently have and use both Clipping Diode (JCM 800 2210/2205, JCM 900 4100 for example) and Non-Clipping Diode (1987XL 50 watt Plexi, JCM 800 2203).

I adore the Plexi's and JCM 800 2203's when pushed with a good overdrive pedal i.e. Boss SD-1. However The JCM 800 2210/2205's when Biased properly doesn't need a OD pedal in order to achieve killer Marshall sustain, and if you do use a OD pedal it is nothing short of awe inspiring.

I guess I am calling out those who continually are bad mouthing diode clipping Marshalls. I think you would be surprised to find out just how many popular models incorporate diode clipping to include the JCM 2205/2210 its
    (2nd gen re-work 1987-1989 my Favorite), Jubilee Series and the JCM 900 2500/2100/ 4500/4100. Of course the Slash head is closely related to the Jubille heads.

I am a player, not a tech so I post this and expect to be corrected by those who know and look forward to learning from this post. But I am so tired of hearing some talk about how awful a diode clipping Marshall is and then turn right around and put a diode clipping pedal in front of the amp to push it, LOL. :wtf:

What say you?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

2. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

The diodes really don't bother me. I'm more concerned about how an amp sounds regardless of what's in it.

Personally I do not like the dual channel 800's but I do like the Silver Jube's which have diode clipping distortion.

3. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I never really understood that whole thing either. I don't care if it is all diodes. If it gets the sound, it gets the sound. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Who cares. Just plug in and play!:headbanger:

4. dread1

dread1 Well-Known Member

What's the difference if you step on it, or it's in your amp?

5. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

Exactly my point. Most guys (including myself) that use 2203's/2204's/1959's and 1987's need a good od pedal in order to "SAFFELY" achieve the hard rock/metal tone.

6. dread1

dread1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true. I think when the diodes are built into the head, it's a more true sound. Any dirt pedal I put into my 2204 sounded fake. Now I just picked up a jcm900
    and WOW, what a great sound. And the 2204 and the 900 together with a morley tripler, plain sick.

7. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I played a JCM 900 for a month and was underwhelmed; at the time I had no idea it had clipping diodes. Was it the clipping diodes that made it less than wonderful to my ears? Probably not, but I love my DSL which is pure tube path, which I also didn't know when I bought it. Like A. Viking said, it's really the sound and dynamics an amp gives you that count, and how it got there is secondary. But *most* all tube signal paths will sound better than *most* amps that use clipping diodes. There are notable exceptions however.

Ken

8. cicone

cicone Active Member

um....yeah....been pounding guns and roses and van halen for the last couple of hours. Not perfect tone, but darn good enough, if you get my drift.:dude:

9. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

I love the tone of my 2205. I Didnt know about Diode clipping back then and I dont care what it has in it.

10. Adwex

Adwex New Member

My Jubilee doesn't mind, neither do I.

11. Vince

Vince New Member

I have both diode and non-diode amps.... The diode amps sound fizzy when the gain is cranked up unlike the the non-diode amps. I think there is a balance in there and I walk that line. On my Jubilee I tend to ride the line right at 7 1/2 on the gain as the diodes kick in at about 8. I am still playing with tubes on it to tame the fizzies but it is pretty close right now.

I spent the most time on the MA50 I have to tame the fizzies. RFT NOS EL34's and a Tungsol 12AX7 in the V1 pretty much did it. I really like the gain on this amp now and don't care that it is diode driven. It sounds good.

The JTM45 is a no worry amp.... never sounds fizzy and rocks.... but is very old school which I like too.

Love them all really.... Marshall sound is unmistakeable!

12. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

But I am so tired of hearing some talk about how awful a diode clipping Marshall is and then turn right around and put a diode clipping pedal in front of the amp to push it, LOL.

**EXAC-TA-FUCKING-LUTELY!! FINALLY someone else with a brain who can distinguish this simple point...I too get sick and tired of these purest folks who put fucking OD/Distortion pedals in front of their 'all tube only amp' and claim they are on some kind of damn crusade. Its a joke.

Many times, (not always of course..exceptions..)and I have said this before, in order to get the level of distortion/gain to play metal you need them somewhere in your signal train..including active fucking pickups (same thing in a way).

Diodes or not..if it sounds good it IS good and that is all that matters...:)

13. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Tubes are diodes, right??
    As in rectifier...
    I had a dual reverb, and a 50 watt 900 mkIII, both lacked definition, compared to my old jcm 50 watt, or my tsl's.
    I think that the consensus is that the Jubilee circuit was the best of the bunch, and the 900 circuits went too far, or something like that.
    I bought a 50 watt 900 head for a backup, years ago, and used it at one gig, and compared to my modified tsl's, or even a stock tsl, they get kinda lost in the mix....kinda vague, bumble bee distortion kinda thing.
    The slx 900 that my bandmate used, however, cut like a knife...and it's all tube.
    I have heard VERY few distortion pedals that sit nice and fat in a live mix, as well, and cut through with note definition.
    Not trying to piss anyone off, but diodes tend to sound fizzy, and if overdone, don't really get it if you are competing with another guitar in a live situation.
    If they worked well, Mesa, Marshall, Fender, and every other amp builder would be offering diode clipping in their flagship tube amps if it sounded better.....it is certainly cheaper than adding tube sockets, tubes, and more circuitry, as well.
    In closing, I would say that if you have a problem with other people's thoughts on your amp, buy another amp....perhaps one that doesn't have diode clipping circuits.
    Heck, I love my tsl 100's, stock with good tubes, or even better, all Mercury equipped, etc. And many people bash them all of the time....mostly DSL owners :)
    Big deal.

My two cents.

14. RobS

RobS Active Member

I will answer as honestly as possible.

I bought my 900 back in 95 based on the sound it made. I loved that sound however untill I got the powerbrake last year and installed different op valves I did not 'really' know how good this amp could sound.
    Yes, without the Powerbrake it still sounds great but it breakes walls & eardrums.

Over the last 1.5 years I have really been using it again after a long break (kids came along). So I joined this forum. Only since joining this forum have I discovered the 'clipping diode' dislike that seems to be out there.
    I never knew that my amp had clipping diodes when I bought it, it just sounded great and that's why I bought it.

Back then I used to just turn the gain up all the way however now I back it off alot and use the master to get a more natural sound. I like it. I t can get a crystal clear clean sound all the way up to really heavy stuff.
    The thing I like most is I do not have to use any pedal up front to get the sound I want. All I have inline is a TU3 tuner.

I may have rambled on a bit...too much rum (got a cold).but my take on it is pretty much the same as Vikings..........it's the sound that counts.

Rob

15. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

None of my amps use diode clipping. Every clip you've heard of my amps have no diode clipping in them whatsoever. The pickups I'm currently using are also passive.

Lots of designers frown on diodes because they see them as a "band-aid" in order to build a decent overdrive circuit on the cheap. That and yes they do have a bit of a fizzy sound to them. But so will a poorly voiced valve overdrive circuit.

16. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Diodes add a bit of high end hair to the overall tone. Some people don't like that. Its personal preference.

A properly implemented, assymetrical clipping diode circuit with snubber caps or slow response diodes (or LEDs) can be made to sound very tube like.

The jubilee sounds different mostly because of where the diodes are placed in the circuit but also because of the diode type.

17. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I don't design circuits but I've real a lot about the Jubilee design by those who do, and the consensus is they don't use the diode clipping anything like the JCM 900 series does. Perhaps one of the techies here can expand on what the deal is with them.

Ken

18. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

As for clipping diodes in up front pedals, people need to understand that a signal going into a tube preamp and power amp is going to sound different ("better"?) than a signal going into a clipping diode circuit into a tube power amp. Even if that signal is partly the result of a clipping diode circuit.

This is a different concept than a JCM 900 that uses the clipping diodes in the preamp circuit itself.

It's not hypocritical to prefer pure tube preamp stages but use a pedal to round out the sound.

Ken

19. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

The JCM900 amps are nothing like a Jubilee design, especially the ones with the solid state front end and the bridge rectifier before the guitar signal hit the first tube stage. Driving that input stage hard with a boost or OD will only make things sound worse, but that's just me. Some people like that sound.

The jubilee front end is your (almost) typical Marshall front end. The diodes only come into play before the EQ but after the two initial gain stages. There's also the fact that the clipping is assymetric and combines red LEDs with diodes to get its distortion.

Murmel likes this.
  20. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

i have a JMP-1, it has diodes... but I don't care what's inside it. I love its tones.

That being sad, I don't like most of the sounds I heard from a JCM900. Never heard/tried a 2205/2210 in person. So diodes can be good or bad ;)

And yes, if u boost an amp with a non-tube pedal like Boss or tubescreamers, you get the diode clipping anyway! Even if in a different way