Clean Clean, But Marshall

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Muziekschuur, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur Member

I never really got along with a JCM800 2x12 combo. Some years ago I bought s MA50C and it stayed because it has a lovely clean sound and it can do the dirty if so desired.

I wonder. Wich Marshalls have a great clean? Not the Fender clean. But i dunno, the clean I find in this MA series. Good for fingerficking. So its way more rocknroll than with my Fender Twin.

DrVintage and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well imo Dsls have some great clean tones, I’m also enjoying the cleanish tones I’m getting from my Jcm800 Studio.

Believe it or not but the old AVT hybrid line has some nice clean tones also. I think most Marshalls have a useable clean tone if your willing to that the time to find them.

Attached Files:

daiku, DrVintage and FogDweller like this.
  3. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

I love the clean sound from a VM2466(guitars with nylon strings sounds amazing), the LM6100 has a clean sound that it's GREAT and many different options in clean channel. The TSL 100 whith his springs reverb. IMHO the clean sound of this amps it's much better than a MA or JCM800.

:cheers:

GIBSON67 likes this.
  4. jwoods986

jwoods986 Member

I second scozz on the DSL. I know because I was just amp-shopping a couple months ago, and tried many different amps. Most of the Fenders didn't work for me, too trebly, I would use the word "ice-picky". Except for the '68 Deluxe Reverb (silverface), it was absolutely my favorite clean. But the updated DSL40(cr) really surprised me on the clean channel. Very close to that 68DR, but much more versatile with the extra channels (would need pedals with the DR for dirt, obviously). And the DSL is $300 less, so that's what I got!

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

One of the best "clean" tones from any amp is the Carvin X100 series. Really full powerful tone, you can pick up a combo amp (XV112) on Reverb for about $300. The drive is also very good, the amp in general is still my favorite amp and there aren't many amp's I haven't had. Mesa is about the best for a new amp, but they are all different so you need to try them for yourself. I love the clean channel in my TC100 head, it can go from super clean to dirt with very good reverb. A good all around "new" Mesa with great clean is the Fillmore.

Bill Harris, proxy and JimiRules like this.
  6. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Mostly known for the wide open roar but with the right guitar and settings a 1959 can do great cleans (use the low inputs), I have gigged my 1959T as a clean amp a fair amount. The 2204/2203 low input is *very* clean. My JVM410HJS has a killer clean channel.

7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The JTM45 run clean is a standard reference tone for Marshall cleans. I think the 6100 clean is based on that.

Silver Jubilees can do an excellent clean. I was once complimented on the clean I was getting from my SJ from a Twin Reverb player.

The JVM clean CH green is a great clean in my opinion.

Kelia, El Gringo, Sailindawg and 7 others like this.
  8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned the origin, it gets bashed for being too clean!
    Don’t let this magical amp slip through your ears!
    Cheers Mitch

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

A very early Bluesbreaker combo (from the 60s) is the best clean amp I ever played in my life. It was a quasi-religious experience.
    And the best clean amp I ever owned was a Ceriatone JTM45 clone. Perfect pedal platform, super warm, bold, full sounding. Just perfect.

Jakeboy and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  10. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

The 2245THW is the best clean amp I ever played in my live. (Marshall bluesbreaker head). This amp plays in other league.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  11. Crikey

Crikey Active Member

My jcm800 4211 has great cleans with sparkle. I think the cleans sound great.

WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Just as I thought when I was replying to this thread,.....that there would be a long list of Marshall cleans posted here!

And thumbs up to @Mitchell Pearrow,....for reminding us about the Origin, a great “cleanish” Marshall!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, when I mentioned the 1959, I was really meaning the entire 4 hole genre: the JTM45 is also outstanding, 1987, 1959, JTM50, etc. I'm just lucky enough to own a '68 1959T.

14. Baseballhack

Baseballhack Member

I second or third the Origin. I enjoy the clean tones I get out of it.

15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Gorilla amp blows all those away LOL

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  16. SlapHand

SlapHand Active Member

The DSL 40c has amasing cleans. The volume drop when changing channels/modes to clean is a problem though. They fixed that with the DSL 40cr by putting in two mastervolumes.

I have both amps. I find the 40c to have the best clean of those two models even if the cr’s clean is really good.

Alex Howard likes this.
  17. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Marshall Vintage Modern series (discontinued) had great clean tones. The VM head (2466 and 2266) sounded great with their matching 425 series cabs, but the clean tone from the VM combo (2266C with stock G12C speakers) impressed me a tiny bit more.

The reissue Marshall Bluesbreaker combo amp also produced impressive clean tone: great balance of low, mids, and high frequencies.

The Jimi Hendrix signature Marshall Super 100JH limited edition head produced great clean and distorted tones. The JH100 sounded amazing with it's matching cab (it used G12C speakers like those found in the 425 series).

My favorite Marshall clean tone is the JVM410H. Clean channel/green mode is one of the most well-balanced clean tone I ever heard from an amp. At high volume settings, clean/green stays pure (though it does sound a little "fuller") and doesn't distort when you turn it up (it can distort, but you have to pretty much put all dials on full blast). Clean/green sounds great with a variety of guitars and effects including foot pedals, multi-effects, and rack effects systems. The speaker choice will, imo, influence your experience, but greenback-type speakers really shine with the 410H clean/green.

marshalltsl and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  18. JHMvP

JHMvP New Member

I guess you're after valve-cleans?

The suggested Silver Jubilees have nice cleans but are way too expensive to me and they lack the classic 80's-appearance so I find my best valve-cleans in my 90's Artist30 4203 (structurally more or less the same as the SJ) and my JCM800 4010 with vertical inputs. But I also like my JTM30's, both the 1x12 as the 2x12 and my JCM900 is verrrry nice as well.

But for real clean cleans I always go to my good old 5210's (I own 3 of them!) as they are solidstate.

Also, disregarding the amp, I always run my pickup's and volumes on the guitar LOW with polepieces raised. This might help you with your current equipment.

Your name suggests that you are Dutch (like me); suggested Marshalls regularly turn up on Marktplaats.nl at very reasonable prices, especially when sellers don't really know what they're selling.

I bought the 4010 @€400, my Artist30 @€275, my JTM30's @€300-350 and my 5210's @€75-120.

Edit due to correction: changed Studio30 to Artist30.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  19. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

I'll cast a vote for the 1974X. Mine has beautiful cleans.

20. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

have jtm45 CL running fender power,6l6, its my fav type clean..not F but its own clean ..have to have both in my life...also 2266 def does a great clean..recording lately been using Super Reverbs..we made em nasty on normal chan & pristine on trem..its a fender with actual mids,,its like a jtm45/bassman/fender all in one 4x10's make it 3d like

oh,,3203 had great cleans, almost forgot that

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.