ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

Discussion in 'Vendor & Sponsor Classifieds' started by Alex, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jball1985

jball1985 Member

Just finished installing the drop in replacement Output transformer for my DSL 50. Two words. Holy S*$#. I already had the choke installed. All channels have a much better feel, the low end is tighter, and harmonics fly out of this amp now. Not only that, but the annoying hum that was present when powering up with the stock OT is gone. It's as quiet as a mouse. Whether that's related or not IDK. Either way, this was well worth it, and I'll soon be replacing the PT with one of your transformers. Thank you so much. :applause:

ClassicTone likes this.
  2. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Member

OK, so I just finished doing the Joey Mods to my DSL 50. My last step is install the new CT OT I received in the mail the other day. I have the wiring worked out for the secondaries side but the spec sheet that shipped with the new OT doesn't give me an idea of where the leads should go for the primary side. The stock OT on the primary side goes like this:

WHITE----V6 (w3)
    PURPLE----V7 (w4)
    BLUE----CT (w5)

Can anybody help a brother out?

Thanks.

Jake.

3. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Member

Nevermind, I suppose I found the answer in this thread from another DSL 50 owner ( I guess I just wasn't Googling the right phrase the first hundred times):

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/63569-installing-classictone-ot.html

Also, if you follow the wiring for the primary side of a 50W Plexi 784-139 output transformer from the first page of the Joey mods thread, the wires are the same color as the Classic Tone OT.

4. Joe L

Joe L Member

About an hour on a bicycle north of Lake Pontchatr
    Unfortunately, I've had two OTs, one for an 18 watt Marshall repro, and one for a Deluxe Reverb repro have the same bad traits. Under hard overdrive the harsh upper harmonics are reproduced as very loud buzzy distortion. Swapping to the "H" brand transformers solved the problem.

With the Deluxe Reverb, I had the luck of two identical builds side by side. The difference was only present at max volume. Since the client was aware of the problem and would not be using the amp under hard overdrive, he accepted it as it was. It did sound fine clean and with mild breakup.

With the Marshall, I tried major modifications to the cathode bias circuit to reduce bias shift and it helped somewhat but was still unacceptable to give to my client. I installed the other transformer and it was immediately obvious that the problem was gone. I was able to remove the bias shift components and the amp still sounded musical even though the scope showed the same bias shifting as before on the grids of the power tubes. The output not surprisingly showed much less higher harmonic components on my scope along with my spectrum analyzer.

I'm posting this not as criticism but as feedback hoping it helps you to improve your product.

..Joe L
    KE5Y

5. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

I got the impression (maybe subliminally) from the Classic Tone website that they sold/sell their guitar amp transformers to companies like Fender for their amps. Is this true? Is Classic Tone the modern Schumacher transformer for Fender amplifiers?

6. HumanJHawkins

HumanJHawkins Active Member

Hey transformer gurus: I always like to be a bit over spec, and normally ClassicTone doesn't cut it close. But I notice that a Princeton Reverb has 2.1 Amps worth of heaters to handle. Whereas the ClassicTone transformer for the Princeton Reverb appears to only have 2.0 amps capacity.

Am I misreading something?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

7. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member Sponsor

We need to update the drawing since it is incorrect and it should be rated a 3A.

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.

8. sloan_amps

sloan_amps Member

Are there ClassicTone transformers that will work in the Orange OR15 & Tiny Terror (both models use the same transformers)? It sounds good like it is but I feel there's plenty of room for improvement and so the first place I'd like to start is replacing those cheap Chinese transformers. I know MM makes some but I detest them and would much prefer ClassicTone.

9. ClassicTone

The closest things we offer or would suggest for the Orange OR15 or Tiny Terror would be our output transformer 40-18037 (18W Marshall style OT) or the 40-18081 (Vox AC15 style OT).

We do not have any suitable power transformers for these amp models.

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers! :applause:

10. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Classic Tone-PM sent. :D

11. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

What about the Haze 15 head? (2X6v6GT) Is the 40-18087 an appropriate OT?
    Can the 3H 40-18058 choke be used with good results with this amp?
    Also are there any PT upgrades available for the Haze 15?

Is there any progress with replacements for the DSL5c yet?

(sorry for all the questions...)

12. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

I have a Classic Tone OT in my Lil Dawg 6b6-B Blonde Bassman clone that Jim Nickelson at Lil Dawg made for me last year and it sounds great. Can you tell me if there are any differences between this OT and BF Bassman OTs?

13. ClassicTone

Do you know the part number of the ClassicTone? I don't know which ClassicTone he used for your amp.

Please advise :applause:

Thanks,

14. sellen

sellen Active Member

So i came over this JTM-45 and '62 Bluesbreaker
    Reissue Modifications site on the net, And here's what they say about the Output transformer
    " Install a Mercury Magnetics or Obsolete Electronics JTM-45 output transformer. This is usually considered one of the more sound-changing modifications. It really helps give the RI a more accurate JTM-45 sound---it gives the sound the dimension of the originals. Comparing the replacement tranny to the old one is like flipping the mono-stereo switch on an old stereo. These fine repro output transformers are virtually identical to the original JTM-45 output transformers."

Really? that big diffrence!! Like switching from Mono to Stereo. Hmmm i might have to try this. Anyone done this with a Bluesbreaker or jtm 45, and have heard a big improvement

15. gemineye76

gemineye76 New Member

Hmmm. tube and speaker swap and C19 cap mod in my DSL40C that I use with a JCMC12 Extension cab. Now I'm looking for any ways to make this awesome amp even better. Is there a transformer for the DSL40C? I love that its power selectable and the tone is great but from what I'm reading, aside from the tubes, I can maybe swap OT and get an even cooler sound?

16. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Check the Official DSL40c Information Thread.

17. Grogshla

Grogshla Active Member

these transformers destroyed the tone of my amp. Replacing them with the original marshall stock ones.
    Massive thumbs down!!!

18. Hot Rocker

Hot Rocker New Member

Purchased a #40-18025 last night for my '79 JMP 2204. I did a double take on the cost, I couldn't believe it! I'm looking forward to installing it when it gets in!

19. flyinryan11

flyinryan11 Member

Has anyone used the classictone 40-18072 OT? It looks to be a beefed up version and might handle higher gain/lower tuning better than the drop in replacement(40-18055)?

20. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

The ClassicTone O/T totally transformed my DSL50 and really reminds me of my old JMP 2203 from way back. Just couldn't imagine playing through a 2K DSL without one of these great O/T's installed.
    Absolute must for this series of heads.

Thank You ClassicTone!!!