Class 5 Review

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Grandturk, Nov 30, 2009.

1. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

The Class 5 sounds fantastic with its stock speaker.
    The Class 5 sounds amazing plugged in to a Marshall 1960 cab.
    The Class 5 sounds GLORIOUS plugged in to a Marshall 1960TV cab.

2. ssryan2

ssryan2 New Member

if you plug it into a 4x12 you get no sound from the 10", all 5 watts go to the 4x12.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

i love it. 5 watts. that's great.

i thought my blues junior was small at 15.

sounds like this sounds better though. I gotta go hit up guitar center one of these nights and try one out.

4. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

I just purshased a marshall class 5 from musicians friend. Got 15% off which sweetened the deal. When I got the amp, I was astounded by the workmanship of the amp. Not a blemish on it....very well built. I plug my sg supreme Into the amp..and the first thing I notice is the enormous volume it puts out. I was under the impression that it was an amp you can crank at bedroom level.. not the case AT ALL!! I've never heard a 5 watt amp so loud(in a bad way). You really need to have the volume to Atleast 6 to get the marshall crunch. Full on, the amp has an amazing crunch which I can honestly say gives my jmp 2104 a run for its money. But unfortunately, there is no master volume on the amp which renders it useless to me. I can get a MUCH crunchier marshall tone at low level with my jmp 2104 50 watt master model than the class 5!!!! It seems crazy to Think, but its very true. And as for the low power setting...it sounds absolutely horrible.. no dynamics at all. My little battery powered marshall ms2 sounds better. So...to sum things up, the amp is wonderfully built, but basically useless unless cranked up..and cranked up, id rather use my jmp any day. But for the unbelievable low price, I'm going to hang onto it..having my tech put a master volume on it. Then it will be a useful tool.

5. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 New Member

I used to think that as well....then I lived with mine for a while.

After getting fully acquainted with the amp's characteristics, swapping out the stock preamp tubes with better ones & giving the speaker time to break in....well, you have to now pry the Class 5 from my cold dead hands.

Do not give up on low power mode just yet. I too found it uninspiring at the get go, but the combo of the low power mode C5 with volume/treble/middle dimed, bass around 2-3 + an MXR Classic OD set to a relatively clean boost = the primary way I use my C5 these days, esp @ night. My preamp tube swapping certainly played a role in my coming around to the 50mW option

Even @ full power, the cranked sound of the C5 combo is very loud, but not the kind of loud that my old 50w or 100w Master Leads & 4x12 cabs used to produce. I get loud, crunchy Marshall goodies from the C5, but I do not kill every small animal within 100 yards

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

7. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

Ya, I'm liking it more and more every hour I play it!! I'm glad that I bought it....but It still needs a master volume mod. Then it truely WILL be a force to recon with.

8. David P. Makowski

David P. Makowski New Member

I have been playing Marshall Amplifiers since the early 1980's. Back then it was Full Stacks and Half Stacks. Now in 2018 I use a JCM 2000 DSL 50 with a "1936" 2X12" Cab. Dropping to 50 Watts and (2) 12" speakers works so much better for gigging. Okay, I just received my Marshall Class 5 via UPS from GC Used Gear. I "missed the boat" when these originally were issued. This is exactly what I wanted. A 1X10" Made in England Class A Vacuum Tube Amplifier. The controls couldn't be more simple. Volume, Treble, Middle, and Bass. The tone plugged straight in with a Les Paul is glassy and chimey. The 5 Watts are way way louder than I expected in a good way. This Class A amp allows me to practically hear my fingers on the strings and fretboard. I believe playing straight into this amp will really help me to tighten up my playing as there is nothing to hide behind. The tone is clear, articulate, and warm. I will own this Marshall Class 5 for the rest of my life. If you really want one of these, I suggest buying one when you see it as they don't come along too often. 5 Stars to Marshall Amplification for designing, engineering, and building such a great Class A Vacuum Tube Amplifier.

9. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

Now, this is how you do a review! Thank you for taking the time to write this review for potential Class 5 owners. I think there should be a thread for each amp, with nothing but user reviews. We should start that initiative. I think it'd be really helpful for users. It would also help people find info on the amps without having to comb through a heap of threads looking for bits here and there.

10. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

I second that-a separate section for reviews only

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  11. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

I agree on a thread for each amp, with nothing but user reviews!

mikebinthesky likes this.
  12. Justin Allen

Justin Allen Member

I had a class 5 combo a few years ago and I regret selling it! I traded it plus some cash to get my 61 ag reissue, which I love by the way, but I miss that sweet little amp! Have to have one again!