Cheap SS Practice Amp, Which One to Buy

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by guzzis3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I should mention the 4x12 is a seperate issue. I had a speaker problem. Most of the 12" speakers I have need reconing or re foaming. I've got a couple of old chassis I want to build up into heads and they will require speakers. The cab solves all those problems, and in the mean time I can have fun running the vox or the line 6/gt8 into it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Glad you got sumtn useful to you.

guzzis3 likes this.
  3. scott6762

scott6762 Member

Orange amps are the way to go!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a Blackstar ID Core 20. I think I bought it for less than $100 US as it was an open box item. It sounds great at low volumes and it has both a headphone jack and mp3 jack for playing backing tracks. This is my go to practice amp when I have to play at low volume. It has 2 6 inch speakers, and has a very nice stereo tone.

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Again thank you for the continuing suggestions. As I said I'm probably sorted for now.

I've rewired the kustom cab to stereo and run the line 6 into it. I'm probably not doing it right but I am surprised at how ordinary the line 6 sounds. The effects are pretty ordinary and of course you've got that awful 4 to a knob thing to deal with, but the worst is they make you combine chorus and flange. Seriously. I can't get good amp sounds out of it also. The cleans are boring and the distortion muddies up really quickly.

It's possible the chinese celestions aren't helping. When I bought the major in the 80's I got a Vox series 90 v130 to sit it on. The amp had been removed along with the horns. I salvaged 1 horn but the other had already gone in the bin before I bought it. Anyway they were made 69-71 and have 4 12" celestions in them, but painted silver and with a dome over the magnet and a vox bulldog sticker. I assume they are some sort of G12. The amps were rated 140w rms so I assume they are the bigger voice coil speakers but I'm no expert. Anyway the super 65's I think don't sound as nice.

I've got my feelers out for an 8008 but at some point I'll probably run the gt8 into the fx loop and bypass the preamp on the line 6. That should sound a lot better, although it will be mono :( . The line 6 tuner is good though, used that today and it works well.

Bit of fun, but a distraction from practicing...

6. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

My little 10 gets the most use now, real good amps. These actually have me wanting to try a big Blackstar. Mine took the place of my crapping out Microcube.

John BNY likes this.
  7. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

My main gigging amp is my Marshall JVM, but I do like the different tone of the Blackstar. I also have the HT 60 Soloist, which has some very nice tones in it, albeit a lot different than the Marshall.

Wildeman likes this.
  8. bill0287

bill0287 Member

I second (third?, fourth?) the Blackstar ID Core series. I have the 10 and I love it.

9. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I know the OP has said this thread is now answered, but.
    Unless I missed this suggestion.
    One MG10 might be uninspiring to make you want to practice, even with a GT-8.
    But 2 MG10s in stereo from the GT-8 is a different matter. Stereo becomes far more than the sum of its parts.
    Using the GT-8 presets into 2 small SS combos would be my recommendation.

guzzis3 likes this.
  10. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I am hopefully buying an 8008 tomorrow. My plan is to run the gt8 into the 8008 into the now stereo kustom 4x12. If that works out it should be a very nice rig and I'll try to on sell the line6.

But yes running the GT8 in stereo into 2 small combos would be yummy. Good thinking.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. joeh77

joeh77 New Member

I’m waiting for a ZT Lunchbox Junior to arrive tomorrow. I saw a scratch & dent sale direct from ZT with free carrying case and free shipping for $139, so I jumped on it.

Watched a few YouTube videos on it and it seems like a pretty versatile practice amp!

12. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I am on the horns of a dilema.

I have not been able to find a buyer for the line 6 spider 2 head.

I have found a 212 combo of the same amp, with a malfunctioning amp for $40AU. The speakers are claimed to be good and it has a fototswitch, itself worth $40AU. It's about 45 minutes drive.

So the question is do I buy it ?

Is the head $40 more saleable with the footswitch ?

If I swap the chassis is a 212 combo more saleable than a head ?

Any thoughts appreciated but I probably have to decide soon, like today :(

Thank you for reading.